Rolando McClain Suspended Another Year

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I agree with not laughing but you can never get addicted to something you never try. I work in mental health and I have discovered people give more sympathy to someone on drugs than someone who has a serious mental issue that they can't help. It's a bit warped, even though the drug use is sad it was still self induced while people who just have mental problems can't help it and are many times judged by family members and people close to them.

Seems backwards, but the reason people have sympathy for someone addicted to drugs more so than mental disabilities, is because they can recall the 'good' and healthy version of the individual before the drugs. You can see the deterioration of their life first hand. It's less common to get that same devastating hopelessness with a mental disability.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I have to say the NFL helped us here. Thanks Goodell, but knowing Mara he will fight to get Rolando back on the Cowboys.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Seems backwards, but the reason people have sympathy for someone addicted to drugs more so than mental disabilities, is because they can recall the 'good' and healthy version of the individual before the drugs. You can see the deterioration of their life first hand. It's less common to get that same devastating hopelessness with a mental disability.

That's not true many times people don't show any signs of mental illness until their late 20's. Anyway I don't want to get into a whole thing about a subject that's off topic but bottom line for me is I'm not saying drug addiction isn't sad but there is always that part of me that thinks you shouldn't have tried it in the first place. My best friend as a teenager died from heroine use at 23 and I grieved for him but we used to smoke pot as a children and I grew out of it he did not your choices in life matter.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I just hope we've learned our lesson and we'll stop taking chances on players like him and Gregory. You can't count on them, eventually they'll let you down.

Reaction score
All I can do is LOL!

And next year there will still be posters who will want him back.

Rick_Deckard

luvtheboys
Reaction score
Can we please wash our hands of this clown now?
No. There was never a chance he was going to play this year, but he won't be cut because we get salary cap relief while he is suspended that we would lose if he was released. Jerry can't say so publicly without risking a grievance from the NFLPA, but there is no way he comes back. However, it would be financially stupid to cut him as a matter of principle.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's not like he has been there that much since we signed him. It's just Jerry's money being thrown away. No big deal really.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I just hope we've learned our lesson and we'll stop taking chances on players like him and Gregory. You can't count on them, eventually they'll let you down.
This.

The number one quality to investigate/understand about potential players (draft picks and FA) is how important is playing football to them. I know it can be a hard thing to quantify, but if football is their top priority that's a good starting point. Of course all the other factors are key, but if a player doesn't love playing football more than anything else, even the most talented guys never reach their potential.

links18

Reaction score
That's not true many times people don't show any signs of mental illness until their late 20's. Anyway I don't want to get into a whole thing about a subject that's off topic but bottom line for me is I'm not saying drug addiction isn't sad but there is always that part of me that thinks you shouldn't have tried it in the first place. My best friend as a teenager died from heroine use at 23 and I grieved for him but we used to smoke pot as a children and I grew out of it he did not your choices in life matter.

And some people get into drugs because of mental health issues. You cant always neatly untangle the two. Self-medicating an undiagnosed mental health issue is the jumping off for many an addiction problem.

sideon

Reaction score
If we were 1-8 then this news would suck, the fact that we're 8-1 without our "difference makers" speaks to how much of a true team we really have now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClain is no loss. He had no heart. I am glad to see this boy gone. He would have only hurt the team spirit.
He would have been done 2 years ago if not for Jerry. No other team wanted him then. It was worth a shot, but they should not have re-signed him after last season.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
He would have been done 2 years ago if not for Jerry. No other team wanted him then. It was worth a shot, but they should not have re-signed him after last season.

I'm bummed about it because he played really well in 2014. Looked like a genius move then. He stepped in and did great in Sean Lee's absence. I was hoping he was getting his life together and putting his BS in the past, but no such luck. Maybe he'll go play Arena ball.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forget what he did.

Of course you can go back many years to Lance Rentzel who exposed himself to a child. What a weirdo. I can't fathom why anyone would do that.

Yes, it is unfortunate. Physically, he is one of the most talented 4-3 type LBs that you'll see. He could cover but he was bigger than some DEs and could go toe-to-toe with OLinemen.

Having said that, if he was not a knucklehead, then he never would have been with the Cowboys in the first place.