Romo and False Flags

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The discussion in chat during the game seemed to turn to Romo being done as a quarterback.

My take is Romo didn't do enough during his recovery and training camp. Now he may have rehabbed enough to get to a point where he was ready. But there is more to this than that.

Spags quoted Romo on the radio last night stating he thought he needed to play the last preseason game of this year to get into shape. Not physical so much but mental. His comment included getting his eyes seeing everything.

My contention is this team worries so much about injury they have withheld players, and especially Romo from getting up to game speed. He needs the reps to get his mind sharp.

So the balls we all saw which were under throw were thrown late and the receiver ran out of range. Or he missed an open guy because he wasn't mentally in game shape. He also wasn't as sharp with his delivery. But then Romo does that every now and then. And I would suspect more so if he didn't throw 200 passes a day during training camp.

When Dallas got down 13-3 Romo began to press. And all the wonderful things he is are tainted at that point when he makes mental mistakes and tosses the ball into coverage. I have been saying this for four years here.

You saw it in spades yesterday.

Do I know if he's done? Nope. How could I, or anyone else on this board.

But people are overreacting. Take a breath. Step back. This was a game destine to go in the 9ers favor, and all the chatter before the game got some people believing. Nothing wrong with that.

But once the truth is confirmed, maybe locking yourself in a garage and turning on the car is a bit too much.

But.....

There were a number of false flags that kept Dallas in the game. This defense did not play well. Or as well as people suggested.

The Niners took their foot off the gas in the second half. Mentally anyway. But they had enough to move the sticks.

What made the Dallas D look so "good," and I question that label, were the calls that continued to bail them out and put the 9ers in a hole.

Dallas could very well be 2-1 going into week 4. Those very same people who were ready to lynch Romo may be singing a different tune.

But this schedule, this defense, this team will end up being in the lottery this year. No excuse covers a defense that cannot get a pass rush. The team is in chaos. Not just from this game but from the entire preseason. From the moves they have made.

The pity is they seem to have got a nice OL and a running back who finds holes, and a premier receiver and some really nice complimentary receivers. Those two positives have been surrounded with an aging quarterback.

Downside, Witten may be closer to done than what Romo looked like yesterday.

I said 5-11. That was my opinion. Right now, that looks about right.

Smith22

Reaction score
I really hope you're right, but a lot of Romo's throws yesterday were either lacking zip or were sailing over the targets head. The next 2 weeks will clear things up IMO.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You go, TwoDeep...and I would move the Training Camp back away from a banker's atmosphere in California...to San Antonio where at least it is intensely hot outside.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I really hope you're right, but a lot of Romo's throws yesterday were either lacking zip or were sailing over the targets head. The next 2 weeks will clear things up IMO.

Point taken about the throws. But doesn't throwing late also mean the rush is closing in, as they were.

I didn't look, and surely someone will check out the all-22 and see. But he could have been throwing off balance, on the wrong foot, his foundation not completely under him because he was trying to catch up with the play.

I'm not a coach and never claim to know anything special. There are a great number of people on this board who know more about these things than me.

Not sure I agree he is done just yet. It will come some day. One game isn't a large enough sample to say it was anything but lack of practice, maybe a little gun shy about his back, and trying too hard to catch up to a window in the play when he missed it.

Smith22

Reaction score
Point taken about the throws. But doesn't throwing late also mean the rush is closing in, as they were.

I didn't look, and surely someone will check out the all-22 and see. But he could have been throwing off balance, on the wrong foot, his foundation not completely under him because he was trying to catch up with the play.

I'm not a coach and never claim to know anything special. There are a great number of people on this board who know more about these things than me.

Not sure I agree he is done just yet. It will come some day. One game isn't a large enough sample to say it was anything but lack of practice, maybe a little gun shy about his back, and trying too hard to catch up to a window in the play when he missed it.

My biggest fear is that Jerry and company ruined Romo. Romo of old would have made more plays yesterday with his mobility alone. I think after years of poor OL play, Romo is sometimes feeling a rush that isn't there, and his mobility has severely declined.

Zman5

Reaction score
It looked like both mental and physical. Mental issues can be fixed with film study and playing but physical issue may be the reason why people may think he is done.

Some of the duck passes looked like it was thrown by Brad Johnson.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Romo didn't have these issues during preseason or camp. So why now? His pockets were clean when threw those ints. Romo killed this team chance for a W before they game actually started. We have no one of quality behind him. This year we will either live or die by Romo at qb.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It looked like both mental and physical. Mental issues can be fixed with film study and playing but physical issue may be the reason why people may think he is done.

Some of the duck passes looked like it was thrown by Brad Johnson.

If Romo still has mental issues at this point in his career, then more film study won't fix it. He's been a full time starter for nearly 7 and a half seasons.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please,
Romo actually should have had 5 picks, but defenders dropped 2 easy ones.

Tony has had no deep ball or deep accuracy for 2 years. We have relied on the short passes, and at one point last year we incorporated Dez into the short game but alas, defenses are on to that and are taking the short stuff away.

As soon as SF backed off at the end of the game, our usual dink and dunk worked to perfection. However, if we can't take advantage of the deep stuff, or put the ball into tight windows with accuracy, it will be a matter of weeks till we see Weeden. Oh joy.
QBs who continue to produce well into their 30's are the aberration, not the norm. Tony will not likely get much better, Jerry and company know this, if you heard their comments last week. However, most chose not to listen.

Zman5

Reaction score
If Romo still has mental issues at this point in his career, then more film study won't fix it. He's been a full time starter for nearly 7 and a half seasons.

The mental issue I'm talking about is not being used to the speed of the game due to lack of playing. It was obvious, he wasn't seeing the field well yesterday. He needs to go back and learn from film, what he thought he saw opposed to what was actually going on and learn from it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was off mentally more than physically. He moved around and took hits very well. but how does he feel today?
Now he was off physically throwing the ball, but was that also due to the mental part. Look back to last year game one, he was off then also, then proceeded to improve.

And if anyone thinks SF let up in the 2nd half, you are wrong. Maybe it's because you don't want to admit that the defense played well in the 2nd half. I don't really care, but a team like SF does not let up.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Romo didn't have these issues during preseason or camp. So why now? His pockets were clean when threw those ints. Romo killed this team chance for a W before they game actually started. We have no one of quality behind him. This year we will either live or die by Romo at qb.

are you sure you watched pre season? Romo was throwing ducks all over the field and wa lucky he didnt get picked off a few times.IMO he has lost it ,his back is shot and he cant throw balls with acceptable velocity.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to admit that the mental breakdowns shocked me in how apparent they were and how indefensible they were as well.

I can see physical rust, but the mental? Not so much, especially from a guy who has been in the league and prepared and watched film as long as Romo has.

Those were fundamental errors you wouldn't expect a rookie to make.

You really need to question a guy lobbing a pass into triple coverage on a first and goal play from about the 5 yard line.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
And if anyone thinks SF let up in the 2nd half, you are wrong. Maybe it's because you don't want to admit that the defense played well in the 2nd half. I don't really care, but a team like SF does not let up.

The ease with which SF moved and scored in the first half was setting up a rout. Players in that position ease up regardless of their intent. To suggest they didn't come out of the locker room after scoring a TD last in the first half thinking this was on ice is naive.

That defense was exposed, and if you watched, it was red flags that stopped them more than Dallas. Or was the gashing of runs and the completing every third down within reason not enough evidence?

You're building hope on flags and not facts. Dallas had no pass rush. They had no pass defense. They had a team that thought it was in the bag and stopped hustling.

When SF let up and started running the ball a great deal is when Dallas started to look like they were competing. But even Dallas knew they let up and were just trying to run the clock so they played for the run. Then on third downs they got clocked because Kap and his guys could complete anything they wanted.

I understand digging deep and finding pieces to latch onto. But blue sky ain't one of them. or in this case red flags.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The mental issue I'm talking about is not being used to the speed of the game due to lack of playing. It was obvious, he wasn't seeing the field well yesterday. He needs to go back and learn from film, what he thought he saw opposed to what was actually going on and learn from it.

Your two statements contradict each other. If he isn't used to the speed of the game from lack of playing, his film study isn't going to help. I am sure he studied a lot of film during the preseason.