Romo and False Flags

CCBoy

Reaction score
Aikman said this all through the game yesterday..

I will take his word on it.. I am not concerned about Romo in the least..

I am still concerned that this team still is lacking any thought from the coaching staff in game time.

TwoDeep's comment might have some influence as well: Dallas had no pass rush. Not much from where I was sitting.

anava

Reaction score
Maybe he is just used to practicing against this lame secondary and it is catching him by surprise when a defender is where he is supposed to be.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In San Antonio camp is in the Alamo Dome

Oh, thanks for the comment... my comment was the realism of the entire area....and my wife, Ann, and I were in front seats when Bill Parcells walked onto his first training camp practice with Dallas, there in San Antonio. Not five feet from where we sat. And the conversations in elevators with coaching staff, at the Grand Hyatt were great fun.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
As much as Romo stunk it up yesterday. This is nothing new... He has these games, Always has, always will.

What pisses me off, once again. is this MORONIC coaching staff that still looks like they haven't a clue into what they are doing.. Romo is playing like crap. ADJUST... .. In adjusting I mean how about using a guy that was averaging close to 5 yds a carry in the redzone..? This was ******** and made absolutely no damn sense.. So sick and tired of all this BS passing when on the 2 yrd line..

Says the idiots in the front office " Oh,, we are really happy with our O-line, they will be solid.."..

They were, between the damn 20's.. And how were they and Murray rewarded?

By these *******es putting the ball into the hands of a QB that hasn't played 8 damn months..

This was a game where Romo should of been a bus driver. In times like this, to get Romo back in the feel. RELY on your DAMN RUN GAME. Ridiculous.. I mean, jesus, How many pics was it gonna take for that joke of a coach to look at the "OC" and say enough!, run the damn ball down there.

This is Murray's contract year, and man, I do hope he isn't wearing a star on his helmet next season if this keeps up. Let him go to a team that will know how to use him.

The End zone pic was supposed to be a run. Romo changed the play at the line. DeMarco Murray was pi$$ed off after that play.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He looked mentally and physically bad out there. There is no excuse for that. He is DONE.

Or was he unprepared to play in a NFL regular season game? I ask because it's not a stretch to say he had a soft training camp and preseason.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
The End zone pic was supposed to be a run. Romo changed the play at the line. DeMarco Murray was pi$$ed off after that play.

The second one , yes.. The first on the 2 yard line was pass all the way IIRC.. Either way, none makes sense. Murray should be pissed. He possibly could of had 3 tds to add to his stats.. And, quite possibly, that game could of actually been a game and give the NIners a challenge.

And, I get where you are going with Romo changing the play.. HOpefully on that score that FINALLY got Murray in. The coach was in Romo's ear yellling, "You audible out of that play and call a pass, and it will be your last call this season"..

Wait, That wouldn't happen, LOL

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If it was a case of mental rust, how in the world was the coaching staff not aware of it prior to the game? He should have been compelled to play in that final preseason game if he was that rusty.

What does Jason do exactly?

This is a new way of thinking for me. But it perhaps has a background in what we saw when Dallas tried to recapture baseball players past in football. The speed of the game is such that you have to get acclimated. Especially when away from the game for a while. Romo didn't do anything in OTA's and not much in preseason. So when they are going 90 to nothing around him with ill intent, he may have not been focused in on where he should look for cues to where the single coverage was.

The pick where Dez got clobbered is an example. If Romo had looked left just slightly he would have seen the safety moving out of position, in the vicinity of Dez. That guy was beat flat footed if Romo saw TWill. TWill was just clearing the safety's area of influence. A clear touchdown and the game has a momentum change.

Short lived since the defense would have been skewered on the next drive. Because I saw nothing in that game to suggest this defense could stop themn if they were focused and playing hard.

I am tough on Tony, but I want to be fair and give him the benefit of the doubt here. I'd rather assume he is just needing to get back up to speed than the alternative. Which is he's done. If I'm wrong, then there isn't really anything I can do about it. Probably the same as if I'm right.

I'll reserve judgment for a half a season. But by then if he is not seeing what he needs to see, and overriding running plays to toss the ball up into a horde of defenders, then I will be changing my tune.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Looking at Murray's results after, I'd say piss him off more. Like in the pre-game warm-ups.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
The second one , yes.. The first on the 2 yard line was pass all the way IIRC.. Either way, none makes sense. Murray should be pissed. He possibly could of had 3 tds to add to his stats.. And, quite possibly, that game could of actually been a game and give the NIners a challenge.

And, I get where you are going with Romo changing the play.. HOpefully on that score that FINALLY got Murray in. The coach was in Romo's ear yellling, "You audible out of that play and call a pass, and it will be your last call this season"..

Wait, That wouldn't happen, LOL

Nope. This is the kind of crap that the pre-season is used to iron out. But when you hardly practice and barely play at all in the preseason, it wastes precious regular season games to iron it out.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
In my opinion, the "false flags" that made Dallas look good made the offense look good, not the defense. I've never seen a luckier TD drive. It was like 3rd and 21 and Romo made an awful throw, and they gifted us a 1st down after some questionable illegal contact that had nothing to do with the play. Same thing happened a few plays later on 3rd and I believe 9. Then a few plays after that, Romo makes the ugliest desperation hail mary downfield and Harris comes away with it. The only thing that looked good on that drive was the running game inside the 5 yard line.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Nope. This is the kind of crap that the pre-season is used to iron out. But when you hardly practice and barely play at all in the preseason, it wastes precious regular season games to iron it out.

That's a bunch of hogwash.. Pre season.. Pfft. Nothing more than finding out who makes the bottom of the team. This isn't the first rodeo for this offense or team. There may be some quirks in the offense this season, but, it is still Garrett's Offense.

You make it seem like they are all rooks and have never seen this offense before. Please.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The discussion in chat during the game seemed to turn to Romo being done as a quarterback.

My take is Romo didn't do enough during his recovery and training camp. Now he may have rehabbed enough to get to a point where he was ready. But there is more to this than that.

Spags quoted Romo on the radio last night stating he thought he needed to play the last preseason game of this year to get into shape. Not physical so much but mental. His comment included getting his eyes seeing everything.

My contention is this team worries so much about injury they have withheld players, and especially Romo from getting up to game speed. He needs the reps to get his mind sharp.

So the balls we all saw which were under throw were thrown late and the receiver ran out of range. Or he missed an open guy because he wasn't mentally in game shape. He also wasn't as sharp with his delivery. But then Romo does that every now and then. And I would suspect more so if he didn't throw 200 passes a day during training camp.

When Dallas got down 13-3 Romo began to press. And all the wonderful things he is are tainted at that point when he makes mental mistakes and tosses the ball into coverage. I have been saying this for four years here.

You saw it in spades yesterday.

Do I know if he's done? Nope. How could I, or anyone else on this board.

But people are overreacting. Take a breath. Step back. This was a game destine to go in the 9ers favor, and all the chatter before the game got some people believing. Nothing wrong with that.

But once the truth is confirmed, maybe locking yourself in a garage and turning on the car is a bit too much.

But.....

There were a number of false flags that kept Dallas in the game. This defense did not play well. Or as well as people suggested.

The Niners took their foot off the gas in the second half. Mentally anyway. But they had enough to move the sticks.

What made the Dallas D look so "good," and I question that label, were the calls that continued to bail them out and put the 9ers in a hole.

Dallas could very well be 2-1 going into week 4. Those very same people who were ready to lynch Romo may be singing a different tune.

But this schedule, this defense, this team will end up being in the lottery this year. No excuse covers a defense that cannot get a pass rush. The team is in chaos. Not just from this game but from the entire preseason. From the moves they have made.

The pity is they seem to have got a nice OL and a running back who finds holes, and a premier receiver and some really nice complimentary receivers. Those two positives have been surrounded with an aging quarterback.

Downside, Witten may be closer to done than what Romo looked like yesterday.

I said 5-11. That was my opinion. Right now, that looks about right.

The guy doesn't have the pedigree to be the qb of the Dallas Cowboys. I know that I'm going to take flak for that statement but to me it's true. The Cowboys are the most visible sports franchise in America and the qb is the most recognizable individual out of that group. What I mean by pedigree is that being from Eastern Illinois, Tony was never prepared to take on the pressure of being the qb of this team. How many fans did he play in front of in college?

Romo's career, coming out of college, would have been deemed a success if he'd had just made the practice squad. He had no other goals like being the best ever, winning a super bowl, or making the hall of fame. In contrast, you look at a player like Luck, number 1 player in high school, number 1 draft pick, dad was an NFL, with that resume he seems destined for greatness. Btw, the Manning brothers have similar resumes, the game just don't seem too big for them.

Tony reminds me of Gary Hogeboom, when I was younger Hogeboom came in to sub for I think Danny White and he was electric. I mean he was driving the team up and down the field which was great to see as the offense had been stagnant all day. I was wanting him to be the starter but I learned something, that it's easy to come off the bench with no expectations and no pressure because the pressure is on the starter but when you become the "man" all those loosey goosey things you did to get the job are now expected and the criticism that you didn't get for the mistake will now be at your doorstep. When Romo signed his first big contract the slipper came off Cinderella.
Romo has learned the politics of being the Cowboys qb, he says the right things, throws ints and start pointing at everyone else, goes to public outings with the hc. He does everything, other than winning, to make sure he rides this Cowboys qb for everything it's worth. He puts up the stats and signs a contract then has back surgery, I guess if someone came and made me the Cowboys qb I would ride it out just like him after all he was in the same situation.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The guy doesn't have the pedigree to be the qb of the Dallas Cowboys. I know that I'm going to take flak for that statement but to me it's true. The Cowboys are the most visible sports franchise in America and the qb is the most recognizable individual out of that group. What I mean by pedigree is that being from Eastern Illinois, Tony was never prepared to take on the pressure of being the qb of this team. How many fans did he play in front of in college?

Romo's career, coming out of college, would have been deemed a success if he'd had just made the practice squad. He had no other goals like being the best ever, winning a super bowl, or making the hall of fame. In contrast, you look at a player like Luck, number 1 player in high school, number 1 draft pick, dad was an NFL, with that resume he seems destined for greatness. Btw, the Manning brothers have similar resumes, the game just don't seem too big for them.

Tony reminds me of Gary Hogeboom, when I was younger Hogeboom came in to sub for I think Danny White and he was electric. I mean he was driving the team up and down the field which was great to see as the offense had been stagnant all day. I was wanting him to be the starter but I learned something, that it's easy to come off the bench with no expectations and no pressure because the pressure is on the starter but when you become the "man" all those loosey goosey things you did to get the job are now expected and the criticism that you didn't get for the mistake will now be at your doorstep. When Romo signed his first big contract the slipper came off Cinderella.
Romo has learned the politics of being the Cowboys qb, he says the right things, throws ints and start pointing at everyone else, goes to public outings with the hc. He does everything, other than winning, to make sure he rides this Cowboys qb for everything it's worth. He puts up the stats and signs a contract then has back surgery, I guess if someone came and made me the Cowboys qb I would ride it out just like him after all he was in the same situation.

Although this is 95% nonsense, it is an interesting take. The problem is so very few undrafted QBs ever even take a snap that you are always working with an extremely small sample size. Though I guess Kurt Warner's "Northern Iowa" and Albertson's night shift is the real pedigree youngsters should be aiming for.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it was one of the worst days I have seen from Romo. 2 ints that should have been TD and or big play (T. Williams on the deep post and D Harris in the endzone) yet both targets were missed and Romo threw the pick. I saw enough good things from others both offense and defense for them to at least have a chance to win yesterday but the play of Romo cost them dearly.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He looked mentally and physically bad out there. There is no excuse for that. He is DONE.

That's right, Cut Tyron Smith! One game samples are all we need to make decisions, get rid of that bum!!

CowboyGil

Reaction score
That's a bunch of hogwash.. Pre season.. Pfft. Nothing more than finding out who makes the bottom of the team. This isn't the first rodeo for this offense or team. There may be some quirks in the offense this season, but, it is still Garrett's Offense.

You make it seem like they are all rooks and have never seen this offense before. Please.

IMO you need a training camp and preseason to get your head and body back into football shape after you take a 3-4 month hiatus.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just realize that the Cowboys were behind 28-3 with over four minutes still on the clock in the first half. Giving up 21 points due to turn-overs, does away with all objectivity when considering other factors.

The game was a pure mess from the start. It threw out most game related mechanics from the start.

One can still observe some aspects that were involved. One of this, was the pop coming from players.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
My belief is that Romo didn't play that well last season. His numbers were inflated by a lot of dink and dunk and a pass heavy offense in the red zone with Dez who is usually pretty unstoppable inside the 5-yard line.

Last year he badly struggled with deep ball accuracy. I'm not saying he has always been great at throwing the deep ball, but much more inaccurate than he usually was. And he was very inaccurate on the more mid-length patterns. Classic example was the awful throw to Witten against the Chargers where he underthrew Witten on a fairly mid-range pass.

I also saw a QB that missed Dez quite often. The doubling of Dez and not motioning didn't help, but the way a double team works in the passing game is that the WR has to beat the corner and once he beats the corner the QB has to beat the safety using his eyes. Romo struggled to do that last season and often never saw Dez when you look at the All-22 tape.

I've come to believe that Romo at QB is like Barry Sanders at RB. Where Barry would pass up the running lane for him that was developed and the 4-yard run...he would function best cutting away from it and creating more space. Problem is that it didn't always work and he would lose yardage more than any RB in the history of the game. But when it worked everybody blamed his O-Line for being terrible and Barry running for all those yards in spite of his O-Line. The truth is that Barry was not the O-Line's best friend and guys like Emmitt that understood how to properly let the O-Line block for you make the O-Line look better than they are (and we never won when Emmitt was not playing, but we won multiple times against good teams when Aikman was hurt).

Romo to me is the same way. When the play breaks down he is often spectacular. Last year his best game was against the Broncos...when the O-Line struggled and he could escape the pass rush and find the open WR because the coverage broke down. But when he was given plenty of time to throw, he would hold onto the ball too long and often improperly use his feet and almost step into the pass rusher...then have to avoid him. The O-Line would get blamed, but it was really Romo's fault.

I remember back in 2011 he did this against Tampa. We were on about the 8-yard line of Tampa and Miles ran a route right to the goal line. He was open from the get-go. He was open as he ran the slant and he was open as he stopped at the goal line. Romo never saw him. The protection was good, but Romo held onto the ball for too long and then for no reason whatsoever...spins left into pass rush. He escapes the pass rush and finally makes a whirly bird type of move and sees Austin open and throws it for a TD.

The fans ate it up as Romo made another great play because in spite of a lousy O-Line! But the reality was that Romo never saw Austin wide open the entire time and his bad fundamentals made the O-Line look bad despite them giving him the proper amount of time.

I put a lot of the blame on Garrett. Parcells would have never allowed for this much use of shotgun and would have stayed on Romo for not using sound fundamentals. Sean Payton would have worked diligently on getting Romo to use more of the fundamentals you see out of a QB like Drew Brees who Romo is more like in stature than trying to emulate Tom Brady.

I just hope we can get another year out of Romo where he is not too awful. We'll need him because he's on the books for a lot of money next year and I would rather draft a QB and let the QB sit out his rookie season than start right away. And I would want that newly drafted QB to learn under a coaching staff that knows how to develop QB's than the current coaching staff which includes Wade Wilson, which doesn't seem to understand basic fundamental situational football and how to protect a QB from himself.

YR

Outstanding and well thought out post.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Or was he unprepared to play in a NFL regular season game? I ask because it's not a stretch to say he had a soft training camp and preseason.

If he was unprepared then he shouldn't have been out there but I honestly do not believe that. I think Romo is just done. He couldn't throw the deep ball for most of last year either. His mental game is getting really bad, and so is his physical game. He is just a wreck out there and we have no chance with a QB like that.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
That's right, Cut Tyron Smith! One game samples are all we need to make decisions, get rid of that bum!!

Seriously? How old is Tyron again? Romo is 34 years old and has had 2 back surgeries and looks HORRIFIC out there. Why on earth would you compare the 2?