Romo and False Flags

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
As much as Romo stunk it up yesterday. This is nothing new... He has these games, Always has, always will.

What pisses me off, once again. is this MORONIC coaching staff that still looks like they haven't a clue into what they are doing.. Romo is playing like crap. ADJUST... .. In adjusting I mean how about using a guy that was averaging close to 5 yds a carry in the redzone..? This was ******** and made absolutely no damn sense.. So sick and tired of all this BS passing when on the 2 yrd line..

Says the idiots in the front office " Oh,, we are really happy with our O-line, they will be solid.."..

They were, between the damn 20's.. And how were they and Murray rewarded?

By these *******es putting the ball into the hands of a QB that hasn't played 8 damn months..

This was a game where Romo should of been a bus driver. In times like this, to get Romo back in the feel. RELY on your DAMN RUN GAME. Ridiculous.. I mean, jesus, How many pics was it gonna take for that joke of a coach to look at the "OC" and say enough!, run the damn ball down there.

This is Murray's contract year, and man, I do hope he isn't wearing a star on his helmet next season if this keeps up. Let him go to a team that will know how to use him.

zack

Reaction score
Your two statements contradict each other. If he isn't used to the speed of the game from lack of playing, his film study isn't going to help. I am sure he studied a lot of film during the preseason.

We are running a different offense this year, correct? Or is it tweaks? It just seemed that Romo was not comfortable with his reads at all. As funny as this seems, my wife, who rarely sits and watches the games with me said that Romo looked different. When I asked how? She said that he is not following thru on his passess. Interesting point.

This was one of the worst games I have seen him play. He just looked lost yesterday. There is no excuses for him, he was not seeing the field at all. Throwing into double and triple coverage. Hopefully, it gets better.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
They talked about this on NFL radio this morning. They said that it was a very rusty Romo out there yesterday. He was late on his throws, held the ball too long, and imagined a pass rush when there wasn't one. They said it was because of his lack of reps in the pre-season. They mentioned that Manning and Brady demand they take all the reps in practice everyday, and giving Romo all the time off, and missing so much practice time is the cause of this. He is not seeing the field and throwing late.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Aikman said this all through the game yesterday..

I will take his word on it.. I am not concerned about Romo in the least..

I am still concerned that this team still is lacking any thought from the coaching staff in game time.

Venger

Reaction score
Why do veterans attend practice? Because they need it. Romo needs it, that position perhaps more than any other. Especially after surgery, after missing so much throwing time, getting timing with receivers, and reattuning your OODA loop to NFL game speed.

Yes, his passes are weak right now. He has lost both strength, flexibility, and timing from surgery, the necessary sedentary period of recovery, and lack of rehab time to get full speed.

He isn't going to look right for a month, in my opinion...

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
He has no zip. Those throws on the flats to Cole were painfully slow.

Kaepernick throws a laser.

I agree with Witten being done. IMO, his only catches will come late in a game when the D is giving him the underneath stuff.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I'm talking prep...and base mind sets.

As to temp...you set the thermostats there?

Romo wasnt even required to practice every day, I don't think sitting under the shade in San Antonio would have helped him see the field any better than sitting in the shade in Oxnard.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Romo wasnt even required to practice every day, I don't think sitting under the shade in San Antonio would have helped him see the field any better than sitting in the shade in Oxnard.

That was the problem from your start...you just didn't think. Play on through...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
My belief is that Romo didn't play that well last season. His numbers were inflated by a lot of dink and dunk and a pass heavy offense in the red zone with Dez who is usually pretty unstoppable inside the 5-yard line.

Last year he badly struggled with deep ball accuracy. I'm not saying he has always been great at throwing the deep ball, but much more inaccurate than he usually was. And he was very inaccurate on the more mid-length patterns. Classic example was the awful throw to Witten against the Chargers where he underthrew Witten on a fairly mid-range pass.

I also saw a QB that missed Dez quite often. The doubling of Dez and not motioning didn't help, but the way a double team works in the passing game is that the WR has to beat the corner and once he beats the corner the QB has to beat the safety using his eyes. Romo struggled to do that last season and often never saw Dez when you look at the All-22 tape.

I've come to believe that Romo at QB is like Barry Sanders at RB. Where Barry would pass up the running lane for him that was developed and the 4-yard run...he would function best cutting away from it and creating more space. Problem is that it didn't always work and he would lose yardage more than any RB in the history of the game. But when it worked everybody blamed his O-Line for being terrible and Barry running for all those yards in spite of his O-Line. The truth is that Barry was not the O-Line's best friend and guys like Emmitt that understood how to properly let the O-Line block for you make the O-Line look better than they are (and we never won when Emmitt was not playing, but we won multiple times against good teams when Aikman was hurt).

Romo to me is the same way. When the play breaks down he is often spectacular. Last year his best game was against the Broncos...when the O-Line struggled and he could escape the pass rush and find the open WR because the coverage broke down. But when he was given plenty of time to throw, he would hold onto the ball too long and often improperly use his feet and almost step into the pass rusher...then have to avoid him. The O-Line would get blamed, but it was really Romo's fault.

I remember back in 2011 he did this against Tampa. We were on about the 8-yard line of Tampa and Miles ran a route right to the goal line. He was open from the get-go. He was open as he ran the slant and he was open as he stopped at the goal line. Romo never saw him. The protection was good, but Romo held onto the ball for too long and then for no reason whatsoever...spins left into pass rush. He escapes the pass rush and finally makes a whirly bird type of move and sees Austin open and throws it for a TD.

The fans ate it up as Romo made another great play because in spite of a lousy O-Line! But the reality was that Romo never saw Austin wide open the entire time and his bad fundamentals made the O-Line look bad despite them giving him the proper amount of time.

I put a lot of the blame on Garrett. Parcells would have never allowed for this much use of shotgun and would have stayed on Romo for not using sound fundamentals. Sean Payton would have worked diligently on getting Romo to use more of the fundamentals you see out of a QB like Drew Brees who Romo is more like in stature than trying to emulate Tom Brady.

I just hope we can get another year out of Romo where he is not too awful. We'll need him because he's on the books for a lot of money next year and I would rather draft a QB and let the QB sit out his rookie season than start right away. And I would want that newly drafted QB to learn under a coaching staff that knows how to develop QB's than the current coaching staff which includes Wade Wilson, which doesn't seem to understand basic fundamental situational football and how to protect a QB from himself.

YR

Doomsay

Reaction score
Point taken about the throws. But doesn't throwing late also mean the rush is closing in, as they were.

I didn't look, and surely someone will check out the all-22 and see. But he could have been throwing off balance, on the wrong foot, his foundation not completely under him because he was trying to catch up with the play.

I'm not a coach and never claim to know anything special. There are a great number of people on this board who know more about these things than me.

Not sure I agree he is done just yet. It will come some day. One game isn't a large enough sample to say it was anything but lack of practice, maybe a little gun shy about his back, and trying too hard to catch up to a window in the play when he missed it.

If it was a case of mental rust, how in the world was the coaching staff not aware of it prior to the game? He should have been compelled to play in that final preseason game if he was that rusty.

What does Jason do exactly?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I also saw a QB that missed Dez quite often. The doubling of Dez and not motioning didn't help, but the way a double team works in the passing game is that the WR has to beat the corner and once he beats the corner the QB has to beat the safety using his eyes. Romo struggled to do that last season and often never saw Dez when you look at the All-22 tape.

That was a golden nugget for this board...

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You go, TwoDeep...and I would move the Training Camp back away from a banker's atmosphere in California...to San Antonio where at least it is intensely hot outside.

In San Antonio camp is in the Alamo Dome

visionary

Reaction score
Romo is not done he needs a real HC

Defense is worse than we think
Teams will run on us at will