Twitter: Romo approaching $20 million per year?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
You just going to ignore the subscriber boost for ESPN+?

A 5% dip in cable subcribers doesn't really matter. Right in the article you linked: It must be noted that despite an acceleration in cord cutting and the “continued decline of the traditional cable business”, Disney’s cable networks (including ESPN) grew revenues by +20% in Q120.

Did you read the Sports Illustrated article I linked?

“ESPN+ is growing rapidly (no surprise, considering the number of DISowned platforms that can serve as promotional outlets), but the revenues being generated on the digital side of the the ESPN business are not nearly enough to offset the losses being suffered on the cable side (14 million subs over the last 7 years). Remember, the value of an ESPN and ESPN+ subscriber is different. While every person subscribed to a cable bundle is paying the company +/- $9/mo., ESPN+ subs only count for $4.44/mo (the service is sold ala carte at $4.99 or for $12.99 with Disney+ and Hulu).”

Maybe ESPN can turn their fortunes around, but I doubt it. There is way too much free content out there to compete with now.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Just don't be an athlete. Then it's greedy or "wrong." Lol.
You sure about that? Have you read the news lately?

I am pretty sure businessmen get accused of the same thing!

For the NFL to be true capitalism there would be no revenue sharing and no salary cap!

rags747

Reaction score
CBS would be stupid to let him go, Pay up CBS! Romo sure has had one blessed life to date...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You sure about that? Have you read the news lately?

I am pretty sure businessmen get accused of the same thing!

For the NFL to be true capitalism there would be no revenue sharing and no salary cap!

Read the comments for player contracts in sports without a salary cap (that's why I said athletes in general). It's a convenient cover for the NFL. And athletes still don't make what the top CEOs make for decades versus their relatively small career windows.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Romo holds several Cowboys team records, including passing touchdowns, passing yards, most games with at least 300 passing yards, and games with three or more touchdown passes. He also held a higher passer rating in the fourth quarter than any other NFL quarterback from 2006 to 2013.

And now he beat Aikman in yet another category. Who cares about rings. :lmao:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Read the comments for player contracts in sports without a salary cap (that's why I said athletes in general). It's a convenient cover for the NFL. And athletes still don't make what the top CEOs make for decades versus their relatively small career windows.

Are you saying they should? Should top athletes, top businessmen, top artist all make the exact same thing? In today's society it is the Execs who are getting creamed as greedy . NFL and sports players just get it from the fans who actually PAY their salary!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I will say.. When it comes to contract negotiations, Romo has always won. From the 2 yr extension he got when Parcells was coach to the 60m extension to the 100mcontract he got.

In this, I would never bet against Romo.

JBS

Reaction score
People in here said romo would take less to stay w cbs

Hahahaahhahaha

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Its a huge salary, but for those concern about how it will effect watching cost is out of this world. This is a decimal fraction of what these networks make.