Romo Commentary

Gorgon

Reaction score
First, Romo is much more Cowboy-friendly than Aikman. No surprise. But I thought his commentary was dead on.
*The O-line IS looking much better. Yesterday I saw actual, real big pockets. I haven't seen that in Dallas since the Travis Frederick lines. Biadiaz still is subject to
a bull rush now and then, and Steele still isn't completely healed so is less mobile to outside rushes, but overall, they are doing an incredible job of picking up stunts, holding their ground, and getting enough on run blocking to finally open holes.
*McCarhy has definitely changed the play calling from dink and dunk to old Oakland Raiders/Cowboys of the 1990s style of downfield passes. People will whine that Dak missed a couple of, yea, maybe easy, deep TD throws. But that was pretty common with every deep ball team.The thing is, WHEN you hit those, it's almost certainly a scoring sitution of some type.
*Pollard is looking like the back he was when #2 behind Zeke.
*Our kicker is simply the best in the league. Now, about those PATs. . .
*Quinn's D has led the league in takeaways now for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS. With Odigiezuwa and Hankins, we finally have the middle mostly solved. Yesterday although Romo did NOT mention it, I thought Vander Esch's presence was missed. But that was not a fatal problem as it was in the past.
*It looks to me (don't know the stats) that our red zone has gotten much better
*Also, Romo didn't mention and I don't know the stats but it sure SEEMS as though the pre-snap penalties are way down.

Second, Romo correctly said this team has all the ingredients to win a Super Bowl. Obviously the big (playoff) games are coming. But I haven't felt this good about our O since Zeke's first year.

Third, Romo praised Dak, who merely is the best QB in the league over the last six games INCLUDING the E-girls.

Last---and this is my comment---teams with bad records often have bad records cuz they play teams like us. Two of the Giants losses came to us. Romo pointed out that the Foreskins had two Pro-Bowl tackles, but we handled them with ease.

I see a totally different team than the one that lost to AZ and SF. The Eagles game, according to all, was very easily a Cowboys win.

Love having Romo announce. He was back to his play calling analysis.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
First, Romo is much more Cowboy-friendly than Aikman. No surprise. But I thought his commentary was dead on.
*The O-line IS looking much better. Yesterday I saw actual, real big pockets. I haven't seen that in Dallas since the Travis Frederick lines. Biadiaz still is subject to
a bull rush now and then, and Steele still isn't completely healed so is less mobile to outside rushes, but overall, they are doing an incredible job of picking up stunts, holding their ground, and getting enough on run blocking to finally open holes.
*McCarhy has definitely changed the play calling from dink and dunk to old Oakland Raiders/Cowboys of the 1990s style of downfield passes. People will whine that Dak missed a couple of, yea, maybe easy, deep TD throws. But that was pretty common with every deep ball team.The thing is, WHEN you hit those, it's almost certainly a scoring sitution of some type.
*Pollard is looking like the back he was when #2 behind Zeke.
*Our kicker is simply the best in the league. Now, about those PATs. . .
*Quinn's D has led the league in takeaways now for THREE STRAIGHT YEARS. With Odigiezuwa and Hankins, we finally have the middle mostly solved. Yesterday although Romo did NOT mention it, I thought Vander Esch's presence was missed. But that was not a fatal problem as it was in the past.
*It looks to me (don't know the stats) that our red zone has gotten much better
*Also, Romo didn't mention and I don't know the stats but it sure SEEMS as though the pre-snap penalties are way down.

Second, Romo correctly said this team has all the ingredients to win a Super Bowl. Obviously the big (playoff) games are coming. But I haven't felt this good about our O since Zeke's first year.

Third, Romo praised Dak, who merely is the best QB in the league over the last six games INCLUDING the E-girls.

Last---and this is my comment---teams with bad records often have bad records cuz they play teams like us. Two of the Giants losses came to us. Romo pointed out that the Foreskins had two Pro-Bowl tackles, but we handled them with ease.

I see a totally different team than the one that lost to AZ and SF. The Eagles game, according to all, was very easily a Cowboys win.

Love having Romo announce. He was back to his play calling analysis.
Agree with your list

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh boy, this truth will get some riled up...what is the noise I am hearing in the woodwork....here they come.....I have some fresh.:popcorn:

Dak needs to continue this. Of course it helps with the OL playing better, better play calling, and going down field opens up the run game as well. Which helps the passing game.
It is all clicking, or clocking better so they need to continue this.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
As much as I dog Romo, he definitely is a much better analyst than Aikman. Way better. Aikman not only tries hard to be anti-Cowboys, at times he sounds upset when forced to analyze a Cowboys game. Romo genuinely enjoys what he does, and he doesn't hold back to say exactly what he sees which is most always accurate.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought Romo and Nance spent too much time telling stories and joking around. There were times when I was wondering if they were even watching the game anymore. I get it when the score is 45-10 but it was 20-10 at the time. I actually prefer all the Fox announcers.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Romo and Nance spent too much time telling stories and joking around. There were times when I was wondering if they were even watching the game anymore. I get it when the score is 45-10 but it was 20-10 at the time. I actually prefer all the Fox announcers.
Olsen over Tony ? No way. Give me Moose over Olsen as well (both on FOX).

Flamma

Reaction score
if this is a "thing" with this amazing kicker, I wonder if it would cause McCarthy to more frequently go for 2?
I think he's just not as focused on extra points. There is a lot of pressure on players, especially kickers. I think extra points is where he chooses to relax. Because there isn't as much on the line. If the extra point is big, I think he hits it. If and when he misses a FG, look for it to be when we're already up by a lot, or the game is all but over. This is just my best guess. Because he's hitting all of the FGs.