Video: Romo Eastern Illinois Highlights

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
It's too obvious a comparison because of the team, but the release point is almost identical.

The second I saw Nooch highlights last year I thought Romo.

Honestly Ben's mechanics look better than Romos did at the same stage.

I have no idea how Tony Romo became a good NFL QB but things happen apparently.

Is this a serious statement or are you trolling? If you are being serious then your scouting abilities are needed by the Giants, Skins and Eagles

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
The fact that he went undrafted after having such a spectacular college career is shocking. He looked like a pro prospect his sophomore year.

I was watching that and noticing his timing, movement, vision, and going "and everyone passed over this dude?!" I get the ball was wobbly at times...but tony had everything you cant teach. Sheesh.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Have you watched the tape? He looks like Brett Farve with less arm talent in those highlights if he played now he’d be evaluated similar to Zach Wilson as a prospect right now

No. I don't think he'd be evaluated similar to Wilson Bobby. Zach Wilson, has way more natural talent then did Romo at similar stages IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In watching this tape, it's interesting. Romo's mechanics are actually better earlier on in his career. Watch him throw the football. He keeps the ball high and tight to his body on the move, his off shoulder is kept tucked, he does a lot more things better younger. By the time he's to his Senior year, he's holding the ball lower, away from his body on scrambles, his shoulder is much more open, it's interesting to watch. I wonder what changed there because it definitely regressed. It's too bad really. Looks like he developed some bad habits that would follow him into the NFL and as we all witnessed, his ball security in the Pros was not exactly great.

GMO415

Reaction score
How long did it take for him to finally turn his hat around? Hahaha

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Why does Zeke and Jaylon get bashed for falling under the Cowboy hype spell and lose their drive but Romo doesn't?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
No. I don't think he'd be evaluated similar to Wilson Bobby. Zach Wilson, has way more natural talent then did Romo at similar stages IMO.
LOL he just has a better arm. Romo was more athletic, could throw off platform very well, and has a better sense for pocket pressure than Wilson. Romo got by as good QB in the NFL on craftiness and natural ability until the early 2010’s when he understood coverages much better.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Guess who the first one to mention Dak in this thread lol.......

Only because you Dak fans just cannot mention the QB position without bringing up Romo, who is 10 time the QB Dak will ever be...put that in your pink pipe and smoke it.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I'm not saying Ben Dinnuci is Romo, but had rookie Romo been forced to start a game with that 2020 squad vs the Eagles, I'm assuming he wouldn't have done much better. Sometimes some guys need a few years before things click. Dinnuci may be a terrible qb even 4 years from now, but its harsh to kill him over that game with impossible odds
I agree, plus DiNucci knew how decimated our D was and how unlikely winning the game was and that Dalton would be back soon so he had a small window to impress, therefore he was forcing a lot. Some of those "bad mechanics" throws were desperate "'D in your face" throws to the sidelines. He was looking decent by the 4th quarter in that game.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I was at the playoff game when the Montana Grizzlies crushed him...of course I had no idea who Tony Romo was then.

starfan1

Reaction score
Only because you Dak fans just cannot mention the QB position without bringing up Romo, who is 10 time the QB Dak will ever be...put that in your pink pipe and smoke it.

certainly ! Its evident by all of his playoff success lol!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
certainly ! Its evident by all of his playoff success lol!

You mean like Dak could not even win against the eagles for the NFC-e? Yet, Romo came in for one series and marched right down for a TD...something Dak could not do. Yeah, greatness at it's finest.

starfan1

Reaction score
You mean like Dak could not even win against the eagles for the NFC-e? Yet, Romo came in for one series and marched right down for a TD...something Dak could not do. Yeah, greatness at it's finest.
for all his greatness 2-6 in playoffs vs 1-2 neither one of them can brag. That sure dont look to be 10 X better

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL he just has a better arm. Romo was more athletic, could throw off platform very well, and has a better sense for pocket pressure than Wilson. Romo got by as good QB in the NFL on craftiness and natural ability until the early 2010’s when he understood coverages much better.

No, he has better footwork and better ability to throw with velocity from different platforms. Wilson is more talented as a passer, I don't think there is any question. I don't see better pocket presence. I've watched a lot of Wilson, we get BYU games here pretty much every week so it's just a matter if you want to watch them or not. But I haven't seen nearly as much tape on Romo at Eastern Illinois. That's why this was really cool to watch. As I said earlier, Romo's mechanics were better when he was younger. They are actually pretty bad in his Senior year if you watch him. It's weird, I really wonder what happened there. Anyway, I dont' agree with you on the differences but it doesn't matter.

In the end, I think Romo turned into more then just a good QB in the NFL because he was lucky enough to get good coaching under Parcells. Wilson, he has more to work with then Romo did right now, coming in but, I think he's going to crash and burn in NY because it's the wrong situation and not enough talent maybe.

It's all about the situation with QB, to me.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
No, he has better footwork and better ability to throw with velocity from different platforms. Wilson is more talented as a passer, I don't think there is any question. I don't see better pocket presence. I've watched a lot of Wilson, we get BYU games here pretty much every week so it's just a matter if you want to watch them or not. But I haven't seen nearly as much tape on Romo at Eastern Illinois. That's why this was really cool to watch. As I said earlier, Romo's mechanics were better when he was younger. They are actually pretty bad in his Senior year if you watch him. It's weird, I really wonder what happened there. Anyway, I dont' agree with you on the differences but it doesn't matter.

In the end, I think Romo turned into more then just a good QB in the NFL because he was lucky enough to get good coaching under Parcells. Wilson, he has more to work with then Romo did right now, coming in but, I think he's going to crash and burn in NY because it's the wrong situation and not enough talent maybe.

It's all about the situation with QB, to me.
It’s really not. Zach Wilson won’t succeed anywhere. he’s going to be a bust I agree. But for different reasons. He has poor football IQ, no balls to stand in the pocket, and coasted on his good QB athleticism while facing low level competition in a weak football conference that made him look better than he actually is. He’s Mitchell Trubisky 2.0.

Romo playing for the NY Jets under the teams Mark Sanchez has makes a Super Bowl appearance. He’d have been a top 5 QB in the AFC.

Manning
Brady
Big Ben
Rivers
Romo (hypothetically)

Zach Wilson will never be top 5 in the AFC.

Mahomes
Jackson
Ben
Deshaun Watson
Allen