Romo Flashbacks. Bring in Dalton, it can't hurt

Slick

Reaction score
Bro, your thread is about replacing Dak... You know...the guys who's played out of his mind so far this season.

Yes, because if not meeting his salary demands he's walking, why not move on this season? It's not about him being a bad QB. It's about moving on and keeping Dalton.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton will start at some point as we are going nowhere as a team and even the blind will agree he is not worth 30+ million a year come the Spring.
The defense needs his Cap bucks.....:omg:

P.S. Yes the NFL is a cap league......

Slick

Reaction score
I was talking past 2020.

If you were to go with Dalton past 2020, you would need to resign him. And while he signed a really cheap 1 year deal to be the backup QB, I have a hard time believing he would sign for that low to be the starting QB. You are most likely looking at something like the Bridgewater deal (~$14 million / year), if not a Fitzgerald deal (~$21 miilion / year), to sign a vet to be a starting QB.

But even with Dak's contract, we have quite a bit of spending room (~$24 million) which apparently is 6th most in the NFL.

Even then, we did not sign the following "big name" players that switched teams in 2020:
  • Jadaveon Clowney - $15 million / 1 year and sat there for 95% of free agency
  • Byron Jones - $16.5 million a year / 5 years
  • DJ Reader - $13.5 million a year / 4 years
  • Corey Littleton - $12 million a year / 3 years
  • James Bradberry - $15 million a year / 3 years
  • Dante Fowler - $16 million a year / 3 years
Which contract could the Cowboys NOT afford there because of Dak? Hell, Earl Thomas is sitting there for the taking, and NO ONE is signing him.

I think the narrative that Dallas can't afford anyone on D because of Dak is hyperbolic at best.
  • Dallas has sunk a lot of money on the D
    • Unfortunately, this was on two guys who are not doing much (DLaw) or doing almost everything wrong (Jaylon)
      • Those 2 will count ~$35 million against the cap in 2021
    • Good news, another guy who does not do much (Crawford) is scheduled to become a free agent this year, so that could free up ~$9 million in cap space
    • Everson Griffin's, who has not done much so far in 2020 but virtually everyone cried to sign, 6 million gone after the season
  • Then add the guys who can't stay healthy
  • Then about ~$10 million in dead space comes free in 2021 (Fredbeard's sudden retirement, Taco, Ha-Ha, Flemming, ect...)
So let me ask, is the issue that Dak is taking up too much cap room, or are the Cowboys spending too much money / high draft picks on defensive players that don't perform up to their contracts?

If my stance is not clear, not signing Dak is almost guaranteed to send the Cowboys to the bottom of the NFL for the foreseeable future, with or without Dalton, another Vet and/or drafted QB. Dalton is probably the worst playoff QB in NFL history, a good veteran QB is not likely to be available and as you mentioned, it takes a lot of luck drafting a QB, even really high.

I rather spend premium on a guy who is playing close to the contract then to save some money and end up paying a guy(s) to become a complete letdown and not coming close to his contract status.

JMHO

I never said Dallas can't afford a defense because of Dak's salary, just that a larger portion of it should go to a defense, because he's just not worth north of $40M per year and they need more help on defense

I also have no problem with your opinion, I thought these forums were here to share them and discuss.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I bet Rodgers would take his chances. And I doubt he’d be unable to score at all as Cleveland is ripping off 34 straight points. You can have a horrible D and still have issues on offense and that’s what Dallas has. Too many turnovers and too many periods of inconsistency. If we had the 85 Bears defense then yes this offense would more than suffice. But all of our spending is on the offensive side of the ball. The offense “not losing” shouldn’t be an acceptable bar. The offense has to pull more than its share of the weight as that’s where the resources are spent. Yet they’re often only showing up late in games and in the mean time they are putting an already bad defense in even worse situations by turning the ball over or failing to sustain drives. We shouldn’t be letting this offense off the hook so easy.

I agree that it needs to pull more than it's share. I agree that it needs to show more than just in the 4th quarter. I think Rodgers may be able to score more frequently. I just don't think we'd win much regardless of the QB with how poor our defence is, and the spending in the offseason MUST be on that side more.

Bing

Reaction score
I was talking past 2020.

If you were to go with Dalton past 2020, you would need to resign him. And while he signed a really cheap 1 year deal to be the backup QB, I have a hard time believing he would sign for that low to be the starting QB. You are most likely looking at something like the Bridgewater deal (~$14 million / year), if not a Fitzgerald deal (~$21 miilion / year), to sign a vet to be a starting QB.

But even with Dak's contract, we have quite a bit of spending room (~$24 million) which apparently is 6th most in the NFL.

Even then, we did not sign the following "big name" players that switched teams in 2020:
  • Jadaveon Clowney - $15 million / 1 year and sat there for 95% of free agency
  • Byron Jones - $16.5 million a year / 5 years
  • DJ Reader - $13.5 million a year / 4 years
  • Corey Littleton - $12 million a year / 3 years
  • James Bradberry - $15 million a year / 3 years
  • Dante Fowler - $16 million a year / 3 years
Which contract could the Cowboys NOT afford there because of Dak? Hell, Earl Thomas is sitting there for the taking, and NO ONE is signing him.

I think the narrative that Dallas can't afford anyone on D because of Dak is hyperbolic at best.
  • Dallas has sunk a lot of money on the D
    • Unfortunately, this was on two guys who are not doing much (DLaw) or doing almost everything wrong (Jaylon)
      • Those 2 will count ~$35 million against the cap in 2021
    • Good news, another guy who does not do much (Crawford) is scheduled to become a free agent this year, so that could free up ~$9 million in cap space
    • Everson Griffin's, who has not done much so far in 2020 but virtually everyone cried to sign, 6 million gone after the season
  • Then add the guys who can't stay healthy
  • Then about ~$10 million in dead space comes free in 2021 (Fredbeard's sudden retirement, Taco, Ha-Ha, Flemming, ect...)
So let me ask, is the issue that Dak is taking up too much cap room, or are the Cowboys spending too much money / high draft picks on defensive players that don't perform up to their contracts?

If my stance is not clear, not signing Dak is almost guaranteed to send the Cowboys to the bottom of the NFL for the foreseeable future, with or without Dalton, another Vet and/or drafted QB. Dalton is probably the worst playoff QB in NFL history, a good veteran QB is not likely to be available and as you mentioned, it takes a lot of luck drafting a QB, even really high.

I rather spend premium on a guy who is playing close to the contract then to save some money and end up paying a guy(s) to become a complete letdown and not coming close to his contract status.

JMHO

Good post but it still makes no sense long term. I have no problem with Dak and if he had a decent team around him I would be all for signing him long term but he doesn't and he wont. He is not going to win with the team he has around him, paying him 200 million dollars is not going to change that, he is still not going to win with the team he has around him. Great as a player he would be getting paid but as the team he plays for, well they are still going to stink....so what has been accomplished as far as improving this team? Nothing
As far as Dalton I dont think there would be any issues with signing him to a very cap friendly deal and if not there will be QB's out there. Look at New England they are winning with Cam and he is playing under a 1.75 million contract....so if you are looking for players that are playing up to their contract.. there you go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who said Dalton couldn't be signed on the cheap like this year? I don't a reason to let him go. I'm also not talking about this year, for Dak. That money is wasted either way.

I'd let Dalton play to get to learn the offense. I'd try to keep him and see what options there would be. Nothing is helping this team this year. That defense can't stop a SB team, and I don't care how good the offense is, that won't change.

That's what Marino and Fouts dealt with. Same thing last year, and now this year. It doesn't matter how great the QB is when there's no defense.

Brady, Aikman, etc....were all great QB's, but they got the SB with great defenses.
so why keep dalton next year, he obviously is not the long term answer not only not the answer for dallas, but he is going to end up a stop gap journey man for teams looking for their franchise QB. you don't build around dalton...so if you are talking about next year, then might as well let Dak walk. let Dalton walk, tank the season and get a high draft pick and find the QB of the future.

and this defense sucks because we haven't really invested in it and made the wrong investments as a cursory obligation. on offense we have invested heavily in drafts and contracts and have been able to hit on them. on defense, we keep whiffing.......right now we have an over paid Lawrence, Jaylon smith, LVE which is turning into another LEE and lucked into Diggs......the rest are has been's and never beens. should we expect anything other than the product that's on the field?

SackMaster

Reaction score
Good post but it still makes no sense long term. I have no problem with Dak and if he had a decent team around him I would be all for signing him long term but he doesn't and he wont. He is not going to win with the team he has around him, paying him 200 million dollars is not going to change that, he is still not going to win with the team he has around him. Great as a player he would be getting paid but as the team he plays for, well they are still going to stink....so what has been accomplished as far as improving this team? Nothing
As far as Dalton I dont think there would be any issues with signing him to a very cap friendly deal and if not there will be QB's out there. Look at New England they are winning with Cam and he is playing under a 1.75 million contract....so if you are looking for players that are playing up to their contract.. there you go.
Putting Cam in Kellen's system would be comical at best. The guy has never been a great passer, even in his MVP year, and I don't know if Kellen would be able to draw up a offense that Cam could be successful in. But then again, New England seems to chug along regardless if it is Brady, Cassel, Garoppolo or Newton. Now if we was able to lure Bellicheat from New England, then we can talk.

Bringing in a Newton, Dalton, Schaub, Griffin, Trubisky, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, Winston, Flacco, Gabbert, ect... (all upcoming possible Free Agent QBs 2021) is a CLEAR signal of "we give up" as not a single one gives you a shot at winning regardless of who is around them. It would be as bad, if not worse, than the period between Aikman and Romo all over again.

If you are willing to live through complete and total hopelessness for the foreseeable future just to "save some cap space", then I suspect you did not live through the late-90s / early-2000s and/or have forgotten what it was like to know that your team does not have the QB to win at the NFL level.

While this defense isn't worth a crap right now, even if you do turn it around in the next couple of years and you do not have a QB on the other side, it won't matter. Then everyone will be crying on "if we only had a QB"?

It's just as stupid as the fans who said we should get rid of Romo when he had no defenses. Sure he never won anything in the end, but without Romo (or a QB as good as Romo) the Cowboys would have been just like the Browns wasting high draft pick after high draft pick picking the likes of Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch to be the next starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

Thanks, but no thanks.

THIS team MUST have a QB as good, if not better, than Dak Prescott for ANY shot to win. Until you show me a VIABLE replacement, then you are telling me you just don't give a crap about winning. What's the point of "saving salary cap space" if all you are trotting out there is Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson at the most important position in football?

I don't get it.
:huh:

Slick

Reaction score
Putting Cam in Kellen's system would be comical at best. The guy has never been a great passer, even in his MVP year, and I don't know if Kellen would be able to draw up a offense that Cam could be successful in. But then again, New England seems to chug along regardless if it is Brady, Cassel, Garoppolo or Newton. Now if we was able to lure Bellicheat from New England, then we can talk.

Bringing in a Newton, Dalton, Schaub, Griffin, Trubisky, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, Winston, Flacco, Gabbert, ect... (all upcoming possible Free Agent QBs 2021) is a CLEAR signal of "we give up" as not a single one gives you a shot at winning regardless of who is around them. It would be as bad, if not worse, than the period between Aikman and Romo all over again.

If you are willing to live through complete and total hopelessness for the foreseeable future just to "save some cap space", then I suspect you did not live through the late-90s / early-2000s and/or have forgotten what it was like to know that your team does not have the QB to win at the NFL level.

While this defense isn't worth a crap right now, even if you do turn it around in the next couple of years and you do not have a QB on the other side, it won't matter. Then everyone will be crying on "if we only had a QB"?

It's just as stupid as the fans who said we should get rid of Romo when he had no defenses. Sure he never won anything in the end, but without Romo (or a QB as good as Romo) the Cowboys would have been just like the Browns wasting high draft pick after high draft pick picking the likes of Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch to be the next starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

Thanks, but no thanks.

THIS team MUST have a QB as good, if not better, than Dak Prescott for ANY shot to win. Until you show me a VIABLE replacement, then you are telling me you just don't give a crap about winning. What's the point of "saving salary cap space" if all you are trotting out there is Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson at the most important position in football?

I don't get it.
:huh:

Best QB in the world can't win without a stout defense. Aren't we living that now? So we are stuck in a Ground Hog Day scenario.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
This is officially the dumbest thread I have ever witnessed since I first logged on to the internet in 1994.