Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

wileedog

Reaction score
Yep, but again, that fight that we've always loved so much about him is still in him - So with that, I don't think he's going to be going anywhere :)

I agree, I don't think he walks away voluntarily over this. Dude went back into a game with a punctured lung (and won it) and tried to walk back on the field after the broken collarbone last year. And the injury prognosis doesn't necessarily include any long term risk of damage.

As for when he gets back this year he played with the back pain and epidurals in 2014 and had his best season. Unless Dak is beyond lights out Romo gets his job back IMO. How long he stays up right and keeps it is the only question.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
actually it did but we'll just disagree.....but if they didn't merge my other thread people wouldn't keep asking the same questions over and over
OK, I was just going by the one post.

I've been burned by the ole merged threads also.

dewby

Reaction score
How long he stays up right and keeps it is the only question.
Yep, exactly. I just think we've honestly been unlucky these past couple seasons... perfect types of hits for injuries he's more susceptible to than others. This one being the most ridiculous of them all. Any QB probably would've had some sort of issue after having that awkward type of landing with a NFL DB on your back at the same time...

And yes, I remember that game. San Francisco - I believe, right? Same one I'm thinking of where he had two broken ribs as well, and brought us back from a 17 point deficit halfway into the 3rd quarter.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Okay, just got here after about an hour of having my mind racing in all different directions at this news. And I'm settling in on one particular feeling right now:

It's the best thing that can happen for the long term future of the Cowboys. Romo is at the point he was going to get hurt at some point this year anyway. Let's see what Dak Prescott can do.

As a huge Romo fan, this news is tearing me apart. As a Cowboys fan, however, I can't help but feel excited about seeing Prescott surrounded by the best o-line in football, Dez, Witten, Zeke, Alf, and Cole Beasley. Let 'er rip, Dak!

endersdragon

Reaction score
Romo always comes back on the short end of the timescale, so if it's 4-6 weeks like a lot of people are saying than that means no more than 5 weeks... From today (not from week 1). Judging by our schedule, and the tools we still have on offense, our season will not be over because of this. Romo misses 3-4 games if Daks doing bad, if he's doing good we might want for 5 games for him to come back. Either way this isn't a sky is falling scenario just yet.

wileedog

Reaction score
And yes, I remember that game. San Francisco - I believe, right? Same one I'm thinking of where he had two broken ribs as well, and brought us back from a 17 point deficit halfway into the 3rd quarter.

Yep, that's the one. The broken rib was what punctured his lung.

They are going to have to drag Romo kicking and screaming out of Valley Ranch someday.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I would. He's been well paid already. And paid while he's missed a good number of names too. All players sacrifice their bodies to okay in the NFL, that's why they get paid millions to do it. It comes with the territory.

I have great respect for him too. I'd hate to lose it seeing him make a money grab move.

Not sure what you are talking about here, Romo's already been paid his signing bonus and he's not due any other bonus money. He's only due his yearly salary, now obvioulsy he got hurt in a football game, so Dallas can't release him to avoid paying him his salary this year. Even if they could, it would be completely unprecedented to release a player who was injured in a game for you. As far as next year goes, if we don't think his pay matches his role, we'll release him. It won't be a situation where he hold us hostage.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Romo always comes back on the short end of the timescale, so if it's 4-6 weeks like a lot of people are saying than that means no more than 5 weeks... From today (not from week 1). Judging by our schedule, and the tools we still have on offense, our season will not be over because of this. Romo misses 3-4 games if Daks doing bad, if he's doing good we might want for 5 games for him to come back. Either way this isn't a sky is falling scenario just yet.

I agree. The best case scenario is Dak is playing so well Romo can take his time. Reminds me of the Broncos last year when Brock Osweiler kept them going until Peyton Manning came back. With the talent on this offense, Prescott can excel. It's not like last year when Dallas had a "has been" in Matt Cassel and "never will bes" in Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore.

black label

Reaction score
image.gif

endersdragon

Reaction score
I agree. The best case scenario is Dak is playing so well Romo can take his time. Reminds me of the Broncos last year when Brock Osweiler kept them going until Peyton Manning came back. With the talent on this offense, Prescott can excel. It's not like last year when Dallas had a "has been" in Matt Cassel and "never will bes" in Brandon Weeden and Kellen Moore.
I don't want to assume anything yet, but the worst case scenario is that Dak isn't up to the task and Romo has to come back a game early wearing a bullet proof vest and getting extra protection and a run heavy scheme. The fact that Dez is here and seems to be mostly healthy (concussion aside) means a great deal too as that wasn't a luxury our backups had last year, ditto with Zeke and Morris

Blake

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. It's really appreciated.

I think we are going to go ahead and watch the season anyway just to see what happens.

As will I. Just because the season is awash doesn't make me any less eager to see how Dak pans out this season. I hope he surprises all of us, and takes us to the big show.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't want to assume anything yet, but the worst case scenario is that Dak isn't up to the task and Romo has to come back a game early wearing a bullet proof vest and getting extra protection and a run heavy scheme. The fact that Dez is here and seems to be mostly healthy (concussion aside) means a great deal too as that wasn't a luxury our backups had last year, ditto with Zeke and Morris

Another big difference is this is happening almost three weeks before the season and not in week two like in 2015. Prescott has been here since the draft and the Cowboys coaches can put in packages designed to take advantage of his skills. Last year the Cowboys threw Weeden out there for one week before trading for Matt Cassel, then tried to give him a crash course on the offense and get him in there. A recipe for disaster.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
One more minor thing to add: the Cowboys are probably going to use their one allowed "injured reserve-designated for return" spot for Romo.

Which means Kellen Moore, the early favorite for that spot, is either going on season ending IR or getting cut altogether.