Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

Ren

Reaction score
Time to move on, even when he does come back he's a hit away from going out again, he's the best QB on this team by far but at this point point he cannot be counted on anymore.

Time to see when Dak can do this year if he's legit we're set for the next decade, if not we'll have a pick high enough to draft a QB and try again

Bluefin

Reaction score
BTB

A Doctor chimes in on Tony Romo's injury:

And, two days later, with Romo still in "discomfort" ( an understatement if there ever was one), they did. The actual results weren’t disclosed, but Todd Archer reports it’s an L1 compression fracture. The L1 vertebra is the top bone of the lumbar portion of the spine, where the lumbar meets the thoracic. It’s basically the first back bone that is completely below your rib-cage.

Dr. David Chao (@profootballdoc) said that was his original gut feeling on the issue, but like many of us, including the team doctors, he was taken in by Romo’s persistent optimism and pain tolerance. "I saw the video and thought ‘compression’ but the fact that the team docs were ok without getting a precautionary x-ray led me astray. I still count it as a mistake [on my part]."

Dr. Chao has 17 years of NFL sideline experience and is a consultant for SiriusXM. He answered several questions on twitter Saturday in response to the breaking news, answering a lot of questions which are important to Cowboys fans, including reassurance that this was not related to Romo’s historical back problems.

"This was pure trauma," said Chao," the L1 fracture is away from the area of disc surgery." He did have the caveat that he was unaware of the location of the cyst surgery in 2013, but didn’t feel it was related. He also noted that the transverse process injury was a different location as well, but that there was a significant difference in the two injuries.

"Not the same bone, not the same part of bone. Tony Romo’s bone is not weak. This was football trauma." Unlike the transverse injury, however, the lumbar injury is structural. "It’s much different than in 2014. There’s risk it could get worse. No immediate return to play. He can’t take a hit for six weeks." Chao did note, however, that Romo could be throwing in two weeks time as the throwing motion doesn’t adversely affect the L1 vertebra.

"The bad news is he’s out a minimum 6 weeks. The good news is there’s no surgery required. This injury heals well on its own and there should be no long term issues."

"If Tony Romo wants to play, this will not end his career. There is no medical indication for forced retirement."

He's in a back brace right now and will have limited movement as the healing process begins.

Muscle stimulators can be used to avoid having atrophy set in while Tony Romo is on the mend and not allowed to lift any weights.

But I don't know about pushing things to the point where I'd let resume any throwing in two weeks.

Darren Woodson ended his career because he was too eager to start working out following back surgery.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Stop it....

Let's not pretend we didn't know his days were somewhat numbered

No......

It was still bad news and really did ruin my day, I dont care how prepared YOU might of been for it, it caught me off guard because he was supposedly fine after the hit and I thought we would at least have him for most of the season, now it might only be half, if that....it sucks, it sucked yesterday and it still sucks now.......if Dak keep doin in the Reg season what he's been doin the last few weeks, then great! until then, Im gonna assume that Dak will have some rookie bumps, and with our crap Defense, we're probably not gonna have the kinda season alot of us had hoped for......

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Not the same. A broken transverse is different.

Kind of crazy we are sitting here saying, ah, not a big deal. He has played with the same btoken bone in his spine. It is but a flesh wound.
I want Dak to play and do great just saying Romo can and has played in pain several times

benson

Reaction score
Have you ever managed any lumbar compression fractures?

I have, and you are using uninformed and flawed logic.

Nothing that I said was uninformed or flawed. Time table for the fracture to heal is what is being said by HIS doctors, even more substantiated by the fact that he had a previous fracture that re-broke after a 10 week healing period, with what I assume was complete immobilization and optimal care from team physicians. Have you seen his scans? No. His doctors have and his doctors have said 6-10 weeks.

Tell us almighty one, under your care he'd be back performing like it never broke in 6 weeks? Ready to take far more brutal hits than that 2 hand touch Avril game him? Throw your power-trip elsewhere.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
BTB

A Doctor chimes in on Tony Romo's injury:

He's in a back brace right now and will have limited movement as the healing process begins.

Muscle stimulators can be used to avoid having atrophy set in while Tony Romo is on the mend and not allowed to lift any weights.

But I don't know about pushing things to the point where I'd let resume any throwing in two weeks.

Darren Woodson ended his career because he was too eager to start working out following back surgery.

So my guess he misses 4 games that everyone was making fun of is spot on

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the pictures of him hanging out at his church tonight are surprising to me. He looks the same as he always does.

from listening to the folks on here and the national media I thought he would have been in a hospital bed somewhere asleep in a coma.

go figure.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Nothing that I said was uninformed or flawed. Time table for the fracture to heal is what is being said by HIS doctors, even more substantiated by the fact that he had a previous fracture that re-broke after a 10 week healing period, with what I assume was complete immobilization and optimal care from team physicians. Have you seen his scans? No. His doctors have and his doctors have said 6-10 weeks.

Tell us almighty one, under your care he'd be back performing like it never broke in 6 weeks? Ready to take far more brutal hits than that 2 hand touch Avril game him? Throw your power-trip elsewhere.

I haven't heard anything from his doctors, have you? According to Garrett they've got several timetables, so how exactly do you know what his doctors are saying?

nobody

Reaction score
Time to move on, even when he does come back he's a hit away from going out again, he's the best QB on this team by far but at this point point he cannot be counted on anymore.

Time to see when Dak can do this year if he's legit we're set for the next decade, if not we'll have a pick high enough to draft a QB and try again

I've always hated when people state this like it's exclusive to Romo. That's the same argument that can be used for any football player ever.

Frozen700

Reaction score
No......

It was still bad news and really did ruin my day, I dont care how prepared YOU might of been for it, it caught me off guard because he was supposedly fine after the hit and I thought we would at least have him for most of the season, now it might only be half, if that....it sucks, it sucked yesterday and it still sucks now.......if Dak keep doin in the Reg season what he's been doin the last few weeks, then great! until then, Im gonna assume that Dak will have some rookie bumps, and with our crap Defense, we're probably not gonna have the kinda season alot of us had hoped for......

I hear you....

But everyone was predicting Romo would not make it the whole season. Why? Because he's been prone to getting messed up a lot lately. And no matter what he says, his back and collarbone are done.

Get use to seeing someone else, I think Romo took his last snap as a cowboy.

As it should be, time to move on.

nobody

Reaction score
Most people can take hits without breaking bones.

As can Romo, he's just unlucky and taken more hits than most QB's for a long time. This injury was just the perfect storm of occurrences. The way he went into the slide coupled with how he was hit and the angle of the hit when he hit the ground.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Romo played a long time with a very crappy O line. He took more than his fair share of hits.

People seriously need to Google "Romo injured" or "Romo sacked"......You literally get pages of images of Romo getting beatdown:(

To his credit...he sure has taken his share of hits.:rolleyes:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Rational thought and critical thinking have really left the building here at the zone. I realize they are halfway out the door on the norm, but this is ridiculous.

nobody

Reaction score
Rational thought and critical thinking have really left the building here at the zone. I realize they are halfway out the door on the norm, but this is ridiculous.

I can think rationally, I just choose not to because I sometimes develop a rash after doing it. I think I'm allergic.