Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

DFWJC

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about ongoing problems or inconsistent healing. His fracture can take anywhere from 4-10 weeks to heal. In Romo's case it will likely be 10, but that wont mean he is ready to step back on NFL field, he likely won't be ready to see the field until about 5-7 months from now. 3 months for the fracture to heal, and just as long to rehab the surrounding musculature and soft tissue, before considering return to play in contact sports. At least that's how I advise my patients. That puts him at a Feburary return, hey at least he can play in the Superbowl.
How do know in his case it'll be 10 weeks before it's healed?

Are you his doctor?

Come on now

vlad

Reaction score
For the doctors and medical professionals - how much of this was really a freak-accident/perfect storm versus being something you'd specifically attribute to the person's individual bone strength/makeup? Can you also confirm in your opinion how related, if at all, this is to any of his previous injuries?

thanks

benson

Reaction score
How do know in his case it'll be 10 weeks before it's healed?

Are you his doctor?

Come on now

I'm making an educated guess based on age, previous injury history, and vascularity of injury site. I can't say 10 weeks, no one can. I can say 6-10 weeks and lean towards 10. His previous collarbone fracture was broken on Sept 22 and he played the Dolphins on Nov 20, he fractured it again on Nov 26th, approximately 10 weeks later. Are you going to say playing him at 10 weeks as the correct move? He was not ready 10 weeks later.

No, but try again.

So which is it, 4-10 weeks for the fracture to heal, or 3 months?

10 weeks is roughly 2 and 1/2 months. I'm just rounding up for simplicity.

Last edited:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Is the 6-10 weeks accurate? There's all sorts of conflicting information out there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm making an educated guess based on age, previous injury history, and vascularity of injury site. I can't say 10 weeks, no one can. I can say 6-10 weeks and lean towards 10. His previous collarbone fracture was broken on Sept 22 and he played the Dolphins on Nov 20, he fractured it again on Nov 26th, approximately 10 weeks later. Are you going to say playing him at 10 weeks as the correct move? He was not ready 10 weeks later.
I'm not saying when he should be played.
I'm saying you don't know if it will take the full 10 weeks for his back to heal.

I do agree that his collarbone was not healed fully when they put him back out there last year. That was significant break of a large bone though.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Drew Davison ‏@drewdavison 4m4 minutes ago

Tony Romo's cap hit (dead cap) next 3 yrs:
$20.835 ($31.935) million in 2016;
$24.7 ($19.6) million in 2017;
$25.2 ($8.9) million in 2018.

I knew when he signed that deal...It was gonna bite us...And here it is:banghead:

It's ok.. Dak is already signed for the next 4 years. Apparently he is gonna be the starter. He is a rookie and is gonna have a growing pains. Hate to see that we have these Offensive weapons and have to go through te growing pains now but it was inevitable..

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Has there been any injures similar to this one is the past? How long were they out for? I tried googling it but only got a bunch of Romo articles

David Carr in 2007 broke 2 similar bones in his back. Played the remainder of the game. Couldn't bend down to reach the sink the next morning. Started playing in 3 weeks with less zip on the ball.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good stuff! I wonder if being 28 compared to 36 has anything to do with it

More so from his bone density/structure/mass. Age has some degree of factor to it, especially being over 30. The vertebrae begin to lose mineral content in the 30's. Leads to a bit longer healing times.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Just from everything that I have read, here is what I have gathered:

It is a crack, not a break. Possibility of healing faster.

This is not a result of breaking down but rather an isolated incident.

Due to the location of the L1 vertebrae, there are no nerves involved. No long term consequences.

Due to the location, he will be able to resume throwing in 1-2.5 weeks. Throwing motion doesn't hurt this injury. This is why the MAVs team dr said 1-2 weeks time before coming back.

The thing holding him out will be when he is able to take a hit again. 4-10 weeks is the normal for a break. But this is being described as a crack. This is why the back brace is being worn and Garrett will not rule him out for week one

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

No, but try again.

10 weeks is roughly 2 and 1/2 months. I'm just rounding up for simplicity.

Have you ever managed any lumbar compression fractures?

I have, and you are using uninformed and flawed logic.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
More so from his bone density/structure/mass. Age has some degree of factor to it, especially being over 30. The vertebrae begin to lose mineral content in the 30's. Leads to a bit longer healing times.

Wrong. Bone density doesn't usually decline until the 50's, if at all.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
For the doctors and medical professionals - how much of this was really a freak-accident/perfect storm versus being something you'd specifically attribute to the person's individual bone strength/makeup? Can you also confirm in your opinion how related, if at all, this is to any of his previous injuries?

thanks

Unrelated.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I'd trust them before the team. They're not selling hope for a living. And they're not the guys who said Romo was OK to return so quickly from the collarbone last year either.

I'm scoring it:

Outside the building - 1

Inside the building - 0

Like seriously how can people be this blind year after year when it comes to this team in regards to injury severity.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wrong. Bone density doesn't usually decline until the 50's, if at all.

From what I remember in med-school, many begin deteriorating in the 30's or is that women? I am not going to spend an hour googling and pretend I am an expert :laugh: