Romo on coaching

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo joined the Ben and Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan and was asked what he’d do if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones asked him to return as a coach.

“Many years from now, I’m sure I’ll get back into the game a little bit from that perspective,” Romo told 105.3 The Fan.

“Coaching takes up so much time away from your kids,” Romo continued.

“I think that’s years down the road before I’d want to do that. I get one shot at raising these little guys and believe me, they enjoy when I come home and pretty much wear me out for the three, four hours every night before bed in a fun way.”

“They’re pretty enjoyable to be around right now. So I don’t want to miss that for anything right now.”

glimmerman

Reaction score
Bummer. We need a QB/OC coach. Then when you don’t agree with JG then you can have his job.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Romo joined the Ben and Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan and was asked what he’d do if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones asked him to return as a coach.

“Many years from now, I’m sure I’ll get back into the game a little bit from that perspective,” Romo told 105.3 The Fan.

“I think that’s years down the road before I’d want to do that. I get one shot at raising these little guys and believe me, they enjoy when I come home and pretty much wear me out for the three, four hours every night before bed in a fun way.”

“They’re pretty enjoyable to be around right now. So I don’t want to miss that for anything right now.”
I love this. Makes me love Romo more. My youngest (of 4) is 8 now. I understood and appreciated how precious their young years were. Still didn’t get enough.

aikemirv

Reaction score

As the family guy he is, many years from know, the only coaching he is going to get into is his kids teams. He is not going to pretty much leave his wife a widow and spend 80 hrs a week coaching. He just does not seem the type.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is a reason players will get into broadcasting over coaching. They know better than anyone the time that coaches put in. There is little down time for coaches, while players have an off season coaches have more work to do. Even during the season when players are going home from practice the coaches are still at the facility putting in long hours. There have been many former players that I felt would be very good coaches but I also understand why many do not want that job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Can we hope that everyone sees this and we stop having to hear from anyone dumb enough to think that he'd come back to coach?

Please!

DFWJC

Reaction score

Exactly.

We already knew his family played a huge role in his decisions.
Few jobs require more time than coaching--if you want to great at it.
Plus he'd take a big hit financially.

The only people that are as good in the booth as he is, that would give it up, are those that get would everything. Like Gruden did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can we hope that everyone sees this and we stop having to hear from anyone dumb enough to think that he'd come back to coach?

Please!

I agree. Sometimes in the future who knows. I expect Romo to continue being involved in the game via broadcasting and who is too say years down the road he will not be offered a job? As of now I think Romo has certain priorities that are a bit more important than coaching.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Sometimes in the future who knows. I expect Romo to continue being involved in the game via broadcasting and who is too say years down the road he will not be offered a job? As of now I think Romo has certain priorities that are a bit more important than coaching.

Yeah, maybe 15-20 years down the road, when the kids are in college. But by that point, he's in his mode to late 50's with a mountain of cash in the bank. Why would you want to go into a bunker for 12 hour workdays for 10 months out of the year anyway?

He's won. Maybe not a Super Bowl, but Tony Romo has won at LIFE.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe 15-20 years down the road, when the kids are in college. But by that point, he's in his mode to late 50's with a mountain of cash in the bank. Why would you want to go into a bunker for 12 hour workdays for 10 months out of the year anyway?

He's won. Maybe not a Super Bowl, but Tony Romo has won at LIFE.

True, I can't say what Tony mindset will be down the road. I know if you choose to do it, it is because of a passion you have for the game. I don't think any of the coaches do it for the money alone

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, I can't say what Tony mindset will be down the road. I know if you choose to do it, it is because of a passion you have for the game. I don't think any of the coaches do it for the money alone

My thinking is this:

None of the guys coaching made $100 million plus playing the game like Romo has. And most of them gladly take broadcasting gigs for $2-$3 million a year and never go back to the grind.

glimmerman

Reaction score
100 mil in the bank. Great wife and kids and making really good money talking about football. Playing golf. Why leave that to come coach at a team where you know the owner runs the team.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I love this. Makes me love Romo more. My youngest (of 4) is 8 now. I understood and appreciated how precious their young years were. Still didn’t get enough.
Mine are 16, 10, 4, and 2 next month. In a few years it'll all be over it seems. You have to enjoy it while it's there since it never comes back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My thinking is this:

None of the guys coaching made $100 million plus playing the game like Romo has. And most of them gladly take broadcasting gigs for $2-$3 million a year and never go back to the grind.

You could be right, I can't say what is in Romo mind. He does not rule it out but on the other hand is in no hurry to get into this at this stage of his life and may never be. All I'm saying is if he were it would not be about money but you can hear in his voice a love and a passion for the game and the strategy. Again not a mind reader and only Romo knows when or if this is something he may choose to do one day.