Video: Romo on Linehan's Impact

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I like the addition of Scott Linehan.

But I think some are overstating his impact. How do you separate how much of the improvement is the addition of Martin, maturation of Leary, Frederick, Dez, Murray. Murray's health, Romo's continued growth etc. Yes, the passing game tends to work better when you have a top 5 running game.

Play calling has gone from "ok, here is the play garrett is calling for this next play" and getting it right a lot to "ok, here is the play we would usually run here, lets see what play scott chooses"

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Can you comment on that playcalling with specific examples? Or are you like most where you can not comment on route combinations but instead can only comment on how you 'feel' about it with maybe some commentary on Sturm's tally of formation usage.

its just not as predictable. i cant easily guess the next play any longer

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Play calling has gone from "ok, here is the play garrett is calling for this next play" and getting it right a lot to "ok, here is the play we would usually run here, lets see what play scott chooses"

Do you do this with most things you are trying to figure? Snark in place of analysis?

I bet you could not comment on the route combinations used by Linehan or Garrett outside of that pick play that keeps getting TWill open in the red zone.

Nevermind that Linehan does not design the run game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
its just not as predictable. i cant easily guess the next play any longer

I always hear this and when I asked what route combination it was I get a dead pan. You cannot even see most routes that are run without the all-22 but hey you knew they were going to call 'that.'

Nevermind that we run the same runs on first down and empty set on second down repeatedly.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bryant is playing better. Hanna worked hard on his strength and it shows. Murray and Romo have been relatively healthy. Fred and Leary are doing much better in their second year as starters with awareness and technique. And the 'one player' is having the best rookie OL performance of at least the past 15 years.

So all of this means any old Tom, Dick, or Harry could call plays now?

And what the eye sees is just deceptive as well?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
What are the eyes seeing exactly?

This season? A much better and efficient offense from the the same basic group of guys that have been operating in Reds Offense for year after year. Sure the OL is different, but there is more going on this year that is different than just the OL. Thats the pretty obvious stuff the eyes are seeing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Can you comment on that playcalling with specific examples? Or are you like most where you can not comment on route combinations but instead can only comment on how you 'feel' about it with maybe some commentary on Sturm's tally of formation usage.

Playcalling is a favorite handwaving target because you 'see' what you think you see. The notions are not mutually exclusive yet I see quite a bit of overestimation of impact relative to the performance of the players on the field.

Bryant is playing better. Hanna worked hard on his strength and it shows. Murray and Romo have been relatively healthy. Fred and Leary are doing much better in their second year as starters with awareness and technique. And the 'one player' is having the best rookie OL performance of at least the past 15 years.
I don't keep statistics or other data on play calling if that's what you mean. Not worth the time. You probably haven't had anyone respond with an empirical analysis of changes in play calling because it's an incredibly tedious and unnecessary task. Like most people, I do however watch the games (including the coach's film) and can tell the difference between play calling this year and last, which is why I commented on it.

JPostSam

Reaction score
the players are playing better. the coaches are coaching better.

what's scary/encouaging is that both can still get better. t-will can get better. escobar can get better. randle and dunbar can get better. and the coaches can still design better plays and call better games.

but this is all fantasy football stuff. add a few playmakers to the defense and this team will be historically good. that's where we really need to focus.

waving monkey

Reaction score

waving monkey

Reaction score

Playcalling is a favorite handwaving target because you 'see' what you think you see. The notions are not mutually exclusive yet I see quite a bit of overestimation of impact relative to the performance of the players on the field.

Fuzzy, it does appear the the all over production of positive yardage and TOP is better
I'll certainly give you TOP is related to Martin's addition
DAL_logo-80x90.gif

1st NFC East (12-4-0)

PTS
29.2(5th)
YDS
383.6(7th)
PASS YDS
236.5(16th)
RUSH YDS
Time of Possession 32:50

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I have no indication that Linehan will ever leave Dallas again as long as Romo is still playing. Head coaching jobs don't come along all that often, but he is in a position where he can wait til he is in a really good position and will be paid pretty well. He's only 51, which isn't terribly old for a coach.

I think there is a chance Marinelli could leave, but I really don't see it happening. I think Marinelli will retire here.

The most likely candidate to leave I'd say is Callahan, but even that I think is up in the air. The question really is what is the demand for Callahan right now. Things are going well for him, and he has a chance to create a new legacy for himself. That all goes away if he takes a job somewhere else and is not successful. With how closely knit this offensive line group is, I wonder if he can't be enticed to stay.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So all of this means any old Tom, Dick, or Harry could call plays now?

And what the eye sees is just deceptive as well?

Linehan is a heck of a lot more of a contributor than just calling plays. Breaking down film, gameplanning, coordinating with the running game with Callahan, implementing the game plan at practice.

You cannot see far downfield on the telecast. Its not what you can see. It's what you cannot see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't keep statistics or other data on play calling if that's what you mean. Not worth the time. You probably haven't had anyone respond with an empirical analysis of changes in play calling because it's an incredibly tedious and unnecessary task. Like most people, I do however watch the games (including the coach's film) and can tell the difference between play calling this year and last, which is why I commented on it.

Unnecessary? Whether or not I have ever is besides to the point of whether or not you have made an truly informed opinion. You cannot see the routes that Linehan calls. He doesn't even design the running game and you basically ignore how preparation makes the line between playcalling and gameplanning blurred.

Whether no one else can avoid an ignorant opinion is irrelevant. Your opinion still is ignorant.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The line had helped make everyone better.
But no doubt that Romo and Linehan are in synch.
I also like that besides being more stubborn with the run, we move Dez around more, use Beaz more, and take more deep shots down field.

The offensive sets are not all that different from the past though. But the timing of when they are used is.

blindzebra

Reaction score
What is different is the running game forces teams to commit more players in the box. The emergence of Beasley as a threat underneath opens up the deep ball along with the running game. We are fully taking advantage of it all.

The run game is the exact same scheme as last year.

In the passing game the route combos are similar, what has changed are the personnel groups running those combos. We see Dez move around more and are throwing more slants and crossing routes. We ran them in previous years but Tony is hitting those routes more this year. IMO because of how well the interior OL is playing.

Cebrin

Reaction score
The play calling is night and day different and I'm not just talking about the run-pass ratio. Yet there was only one player added to the offense, so it'd be a stretch to argue anyone is overstating the impact of Linehan.

This x10. The offense is not only different in how they run the ball, but how they draw up a passing down. Scott is 10 fold the OC.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I had never thought of that. The interior OL keeping Romo clean and giving him better lanes to throw as a shorter QB may be the reason why we have finally started to throw the ball more over the middle. Romo used to do it more early in his career and then really started to abandon it back around 2008 except for throws to Witten.

Another aspect could be increased respect for the run opening up more space over the middle to fit throws in. This wouldn't however explain what we are doing out the spread when there is no running threat as this is where Romo has been dominant in December.

It may also be one of those things where Linehan started to get in his ear about the opportunities he had been missing and encouraged him to hit some of those routes. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can make a big difference.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Unnecessary? Whether or not I have ever is besides to the point of whether or not you have made an truly informed opinion. You cannot see the routes that Linehan calls. He doesn't even design the running game and you basically ignore how preparation makes the line between playcalling and gameplanning blurred.

Whether no one else can avoid an ignorant opinion is irrelevant. Your opinion still is ignorant.
I'm not sure you know what the term ignorant means. You can disagree with my opinion but it is an informed one, regardless.

Oh, and Linehan calls the run plays during the game. I seriously doubt you'd have someone calling the play that doesn't also play a significant role in designing the play.