Video: Romo on Linehan's Impact

windjc

Reaction score
Agreed. Linehan has good timing. If he came to Dallas 4 years ago he'd be a bum who doesn't know how to call plays much less run an offense.

There's nothing here. He's a solid OC. The same guy he was in Detroit. What Romo says about him is standard fluff that fans cling to. It actually means nothing. He praises all the coaches he's ever had.

I don't believe for a second that Scott Linehan is the reason why the offense was so productive this year.

Yep. You have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Linehan offenses ranked fifth in 2011, third in 2012, sixth in 2013 and 5th in 2014. While I will not give all of the credit to Linehan, I will certainly tip my hat to him. He knows what he's doing. I think more importantly, is the the team we've built offensively, and the coaching staff that has been put together. A truly remarkable batch of coaches. If they all stay, Dallas can become something real special.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not sure you know what the term ignorant means. You can disagree with my opinion but it is an informed one, regardless.

Oh, and Linehan calls the run plays during the game. I seriously doubt you'd have someone calling the play that doesn't also play a significant role in designing the play.

You cannot see the play calls during the telecast in totality. If you cannot see deep and intermediate routes then you cannot see the offense. It's that simple.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
You cannot see the play calls during the telecast in totality. If you cannot see deep and intermediate routes then you cannot see the offense. It's that simple.

I think you are trying to complicate things somewhat. One doesnt have to see it ALL to see a huge difference. And one doesnt have to understand it ALL to see a huge difference.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think you are trying to complicate things somewhat. One doesnt have to see it ALL to see a huge difference. And one doesnt have to understand it ALL to see a huge difference.

You cannot name the route combinations and you want to comment on play calling. That is not complicated. It's very basic. What is a playcall? I'm not even asking for option routes, formation, the defense or any manner of thing that might complicate. gmb.

endersdragon

Reaction score
The best thing about about Linehan... after his experience with the Rams... not a person is going to want him to be a head coach again :). Same with Marinelli and the Lions.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Agreed. Linehan has good timing. If he came to Dallas 4 years ago he'd be a bum who doesn't know how to call plays much less run an offense.

There's nothing here. He's a solid OC. The same guy he was in Detroit. What Romo says about him is standard fluff that fans cling to. It actually means nothing. He praises all the coaches he's ever had.

I don't believe for a second that Scott Linehan is the reason why the offense was so productive this year.

This is spot on, but it doesn't fit the agenda, so it will be ignored, as usual.

Zman5

Reaction score
Although watching the coaches film definitely help, you don't need it to know that this year's offense is different.

First of all, we were 31st in rush attempts past 2 years, we are 3rd this year. We don't abandon the run even when it's not very effective or when we are down by few scores.

A FB position is used much more. We don't use empty backfield as much as we used to.

We use playaction much more this year. We were dead last in playaction pass attempts in 2012 and second to dead last in 2013.

Dez is moved around much more. Rub routes are used more this year compare to past years.

These are all the things you can see just watching the game on TV.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
IMO it's a combination of several factors. Linehan would be a part of that because of the playcalling, staying committed to rebuilding the oline, Callahans job coaching the oline, making Rod the DC. committing to the run, playing more ball control and slowing down the pace of the game while keeping our defense rested, and last but not least letting Garret put more focus on Head Coching and keep more focus all on aspects of the game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Go back and read my post again. You never seem to actually read what people say.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No question.

One of the worst decisions this organization has ever made was putting the young Romo's career in the hands of an inexperienced OC. I always said that the best play in the Garrett Playbook was when the play broke down and Romo had to improvise. That is no longer the case and it has made all the difference.
I think I even mentioned this before. The coaching can kill a QB easily. Scheming to beat blitzes, setting up plays to use later, in which those set up plays can get you an easy score.

Route design, knowing where to put whom, and the emergence or the final usage of Beasley has opened things. up. If you want to put all of your resources in to taking out the run AND doubling up Dez, then someone else has to abuse the defense, and those someone's are Beasley, Witten & Williams, and to a lesser extinct, Murray. I think overall, except for maybe the first Philly game, Linehan has been like night & day to Garrett and Shanahan or whatever that last guy's name was.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Go back and read my post again. You never seem to actually read what people say.

The subject is the basis of your ignorance. Just because you are not controlling the discussions specifically does not mean that my point is not germane.

You opinion is ignorant. You do not know the playcall and yet call your opinion on playcalling informed. It is what it is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The subject is the basis of your ignorance. Just because you are not controlling the discussions specifically does not mean that my point is not germane.

You opinion is ignorant. You do not know the playcall and yet call your opinion on playcalling informed. It is what it is.
Just to recap, you called me ignorant because I don't watch the coach's film. I pointed out that I do. You now call me ignorant because I don't know what play is actually called. That is patently absurd. Your argument is essentially that a person can't know anything if he doesn't know everything. Not to mention it's hypocritical. Your arguments evolve until you become nonsensical -- typical ignorant Internet troll behavior.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Second person based comments rarely serve a developmental or observed point in a discussion. It is used to highlight a perceived relationship, and often is the intended use of abuse.

Discuss in a first person or third person sentence format...and retain an impartial respect in the process, instead.

Not choosing sides, as both of you are liked by myself.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Just to recap, you called me ignorant because I don't watch the coach's film. I pointed out that I do. You now call me ignorant because I don't know what play is actually called. That is patently absurd. Your argument is essentially that a person can't know anything if he doesn't know everything. Not to mention it's hypocritical. Your arguments evolve until you become nonsensical -- typical ignorant Internet troll behavior.

If I wanted to troll you, I could go much easier routes. I don't do that here seeing that the powers that be frown on it. In my experience, someone who is losing an argument tries to make the argument about their opponent as opposed to the argument at hand. They even have a term for it: ad hominem. Think about it.

If one wants to demonstrate one is not ignorant then perhaps one should demonstrate an understanding of the route combinations or the like rather than just a simple negation.

I personally am in more of a thought with Sturm who has said that the Cowboys run the same runs on first down and use the empty set repeatedly on second down. I see the Cowboys success much more based on the game plans and practicing leading to execution.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I think Howie Long nailed it on the pre-game show today. That it isn't Linehan's offense it is the offense Garrett has always wanted to run. Jimmy was nodding in agreement.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Well if he can't get Dez more involved in some way, he can go to Oakland as far as I'm concerned

That was abysmal game planning today imo