Romo open to reworking contract in a trade

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Tony Romo Open To Facilitating Trade
February 19th, 2017 at 6:01pm CST by Sam Robinson
While the ideal outcome for Tony Romo‘s chances at starting for a contending team is a Cowboys release, the 15th-year veteran knows he could possibly fetch his team a Day 2 pick in a trade. The likely departing quarterback is open to the possibility of adjusting his contract to help facilitate a trade, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports.

This adjustment, though, would be designed to help Romo land with a contending team. But the veteran passer does not have a mandate about how this plays out. He’s not demanding anything from the Cowboys and does not plan to do so, per La Canfora. Jerry Jones and his previous starting quarterback have not sat down to discuss this complex situation yet, but La Canfora notes this dialogue will likely occur before the Cowboys’ contingent leaves for the Combine later this month.

Romo expects to be released, but La Canfora notes neither side knows how this saga will unfold at this juncture. The four-time Pro Bowler will carry a league-high $24.7MM cap figure in 2017 and is signed through 2019, with cap numbers of $25.2MM and $23.7MM in ’18 and ’19 set. It would take plenty of adjusting to get prospective quarterback-needy contenders to agree to a trade, though, especially considering Romo’s now-extensive injury history.

However, La Canfora notes the since-demoted passer is “working out like a demon” to be ready physically this offseason. Romo has not started in a game since November of 2015 and played in just one in 2016.

The Cowboys could be aiming for a third-round pick for Romo, but two of the teams that would fit the profile for a possible suitor — the Broncos and Texans — are not said to be interested in a trade. The Broncos, though, could be interested in signing the 36-year-old QB if he hits the free agent market. Their public commitment to Alex Smith notwithstanding, the Chiefs may be on the lookout here as well.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

waldoputty

Reaction score
While the ideal outcome for Tony Romo‘s chances at starting for a contending team is a Cowboys release, the 15th-year veteran knows he could possibly fetch his team a Day 2 pick in a trade. The likely departing quarterback is open to the possibility of adjusting his contract to help facilitate a trade, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports.

This adjustment, though, would be designed to help Romo land with a contending team. But the veteran passer does not have a mandate about how this plays out. He’s not demanding anything from the Cowboys and does not plan to do so, per La Canfora. Jerry Jones and his previous starting quarterback have not sat down to discuss this complex situation yet, but La Canfora notes this dialogue will likely occur before the Cowboys’ contingent leaves for the Combine later this month.

Romo expects to be released, but La Canfora notes neither side knows how this saga will unfold at this juncture. The four-time Pro Bowler will carry a league-high $24.7MM cap figure in 2017 and is signed through 2019, with cap numbers of $25.2MM and $23.7MM in ’18 and ’19 set. It would take plenty of adjusting to get prospective quarterback-needy contenders to agree to a trade, though, especially considering Romo’s now-extensive injury history.

However, La Canfora notes the since-demoted passer is “working out like a demon” to be ready physically this offseason. Romo has not started in a game since November of 2015 and played in just one in 2016.

The Cowboys could be aiming for a third-round pick for Romo, but two of the teams that would fit the profile for a possible suitor — the Broncos and Texans — are not said to be interested in a trade. The Broncos, though, could be interested in signing the 36-year-old QB if he hits the free agent market. Their public commitment to Alex Smith notwithstanding, the Chiefs may be on the lookout here as well.

would much rather having him as backup than a 3rd round pick... assuming he is willing
there is plenty of cap space for next 2 years

SlammedZero

Reaction score
As excited as I am for the teams future, part of me hates this day. I know nothing lasts forever but it just blows my mind this day has already arrived. Where does the time go? I know not everybody will agree with me, and that's fine, but it was a pleasure watching Romo lead this team over the last decade. I sincerely wish him the best from here on out. He deserves success.

robjay04

Reaction score
would much rather having him as backup than a 3rd round pick... assuming he is willing

No there isn't. Not if we want to build up this defense.

Keeping Romo as a backup making 24 million is just not even an option. If he wants to cut his salary by 75 percent then maybe? Even then it's hard sell considering that Dak will always be looking over his shoulder.

If Romo reworks his deal and limits the cap hit we would take in a trade(if possible) then I would take a 7th for him. Being able to only commit 700K to a QB the next 3 seasons is such an advantage in this league. Getting Romo's contract off the books as fast as possible is worth more than any draft pick.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'd love to get something for tony. Another 2 or 3 rd pick would be huge and can help us on defense and also helps tony go to a contending team

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

How about we keep him and let him compete to start for us.?

His cap is set and DAKOTA will not get a new deal until after next season.

Meantime..

we ride with our decisions..

StylisticS

Reaction score
This is the least I have been looking forward to an offseason in fifteen years.
But the most intriguing to me. It will be interesting to see what this team will in March and April. If Romo is willing to rework his contract, that opens the door for many other options. It helps him and Dallas.

Hailmary

Reaction score
My wish is for teams to get into a mini bidding war where we can get a 2nd for Romo. Then trade down from 28 and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd in the process. Three 2nds and two 3rds will go a long way into improving our D in a hurry.

irishline

Reaction score

There are articles about him hoping and expecting to be released, wanting to complete for a starting job, wanting to go to the Texans, wanting to go to the Broncos, and now willing to restructure his deal to facilitate a trade. What I have yet to see is one single mention of him willing to stay and be the backup. Anywhere. In any article.

He said in his speech he believes he can and still wants to play. Every indication anywhere for months corroborates this. I don't get how some people still hold on to the notion that he would be willing or want to stay and be a backup.

It will be a sad day (imo) when he leaves. However it is what he clearly wants. We have our QB in Dak. Forcing Romo to stay and back him up would be bad for this team on more levels than it can help (his attitude towards being forced to backup Dak, Dak looking over his shoulder, Jerry blabbing stupid stuff, etc.). It sucks, but it is what it is, let him go try and win his own Superbowl. But get what you can for him in a trade (if you can) rather than letting him walk for nothing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I have been suggesting this for months.....gives Tony some guarantees and some say in his destination and Dallas some cap relief until the deal is done without destroying his trade value

Funny how the press articles have gone from saying Romo has zero value and is sure to be released - and now say its a third round pick with multiple bidders.

The bidding hasn't started officially, its all backroom talks at this point. When it starts for real there will be even more bidding than the obvious candidates.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
As excited as I am for the teams future, part of me hates this day. I know nothing lasts forever but it just blows my mind this day has already arrived. Where does the time go? I know not everybody will agree with me, and that's fine, but it was a pleasure watching Romo lead this team over the last decade. I sincerely wish him the best from here on out. He deserves success.
It's been ten years