Romo open to reworking contract in a trade

waldoputty

Reaction score
He wants an opportunity to start somewhere and I just can't see Jerry Jones or JG standing in the way of that.

He will be traded or cut. I'm guessing there is less than 1% chance he stays.

we cannot get what we want...
lets see what happens.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't care how much cap space gets freed up from letting Romo go. The organization is still not spending in free agency for the top tier free agents. All it will do is help resign our own players. It's pure stupidity to get rid of Romo since he could very well win the starting position again. Don't give me the "one hit away" from an injury either. Every player in the league is one hit away from an injury.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
Not really because he'll still cost someone a draft pick and doubt anyone will use a premium pick or multiple picks to try and out bid someone. Even if a team is willing to trade for him it's going to have to be a team he wants to play for.
Modest bidding war could bring it from a 5th round pick to a 3. That would constitute a modest bidding war, no?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Because I don't want to pay 14mm for a backup when our defense is a liability?

that argument only holds water if we cannot have both...
there is plenty of cap space that could be opened up.
we could easily sign 3 top FA without even restructuring romo

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Modest bidding war could bring it from a 5th round pick to a 3. That would constitute a modest bidding war.

That's possible but with everyone knowing we're facing a deadline to either trade or release him the odds favor him being released. It's the injury concerns and knowing you can't look past next season with Romo that's going to keep teams from wanting to invest a decent draft pick on him. Not saying it won't happen, we'll just have to see. The biggest mistake the Cowboys made was not playing Romo instead of Sanchez the rest of the way against Philly in the season finale. No one laid a finger on him in the one series he played and he wasn't able to show that he can take a hit/sack and get up from it.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
I won't believe Romo will take a pay cut unless it comes directly from Romo, I remember it was reported Ware was willing to take one but he said no so Dallas had no choice but to release him

Vero_F250

Reaction score
That's possible but with everyone knowing we're facing a deadline to either trade or release him the odds favor him being released. It's the injury concerns and knowing you can't look past next season with Romo that's going to keep teams from wanting to invest a decent draft pick on him. Not saying it won't happen, we'll just have to see. The biggest mistake the Cowboys made was not playing Romo instead of Sanchez the rest of the way against Philly in the season finale. No one laid a finger on him in the one series he played and he wasn't able to show that he can take hit/sack and get up from it.
Fair enough. Well put. I agree Romo should have played more, especially looking as good as he did.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I won't believe Romo will take a pay cut unless it comes directly from Romo, I remember it was reported Ware was willing to take one but he said no so Dallas had no choice but to release him
Ware said he would take a restructure, not a pay cut from 12m........which is no big surprise......a restructure is just an advance that guarantees 90% of your base salary...... no player turns down a restructure...he ended up getting 3/30m from DEN so he still took less

Romo volunteered to take less money in the past and his 4/68m extension was well below league average

TheHerd

Reaction score
Because I don't want to pay 14mm for a backup when our defense is a liability?

Getting cap space is not enough of a reason to do anything with Romo because the current FO has proven they are not going to spend on FA.

The reasons to cut or trade are all about getting a draft pick, Jerry's allegiance to Tony, and Dak's/the team's psyche.

We all have to face the fact that this team is not signing a top tier FA for big $$$, no matter how much cap space is available.

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
Curious the difference between him working out for his next chapter and his typical offseason with the Cowboys. Hope we can't tell he's in the best shape of his life or I will be ticked big time.

Cebrin

Reaction score
No there isn't. Not if we want to build up this defense.

Keeping Romo as a backup making 24 million is just not even an option. If he wants to cut his salary by 75 percent then maybe? Even then it's hard sell considering that Dak will always be looking over his shoulder.

He certainly didn't play like he was looking over his shoulder this year...don't see how next would make a difference.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If he's willing to restructure his contract to below Daks, I'd be happy with him being a backup here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he's willing to restructure his contract to below Daks, I'd be happy with him being a backup here.

He won't be restructuring his contract to stay as a backup here that's for sure. He might be willing to do it as part of a trade to a team he wants to go to but that's the only way.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Funny how the press articles have gone from saying Romo has zero value and is sure to be released - and now say its a third round pick with multiple bidders.

The bidding hasn't started officially, its all backroom talks at this point. When it starts for real there will be even more bidding than the obvious candidates.
Everyone is just speculating at this point. The thing that is going to hurt his value is the fact that everyone knows he's going to be cut if he can't be traded. The thing the team needs to counteract that is for enough teams to want him where nobody feels comfortable enough to just wait it out. Romo could be a real PITA here if he wants to and hopefully that isn't the case.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
@bkight13 how would a reworked contract work for Romo here? Doesn't the prorated bonus accelerate onto the cap still? And if he reworked his contract here, how would they get around no signing bonus or not having the new one accelerate on the cap.