Romo out for the season *merge*

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
As posted elsewhere, a herniation really doesn't mean squat...it's whether it is pressing on the spinal cord or a nerve root that would make that decision.
When he started having problems it appeared to me was when he made the move to avoid the sack and kind of kicked his own leg....but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Either way, it just adds more to the black cloud theory following him.

mldardy

Reaction score

Again the ONLY person that will look bad is Schefter for definitely saying he's done for the season. Garrett said he's being evaluated and they'll see where is at as the week progresses. If Romo is out then Garrett and the Cowboys will let everyone know. Now if Garrett had said Romo will play this week and that the reports were false and it turned out Romo is out then he looks bad but Garrett is playing it safe right now until he is officially ruled out.

Plankton

Reaction score
I swear, Tony Romo cannot catch a break. He's like Charlie Brown, and fate is Lucy pulling the football away from him at the last minute.

Romo is destined to be a tragic hero - dynamic in his chasing of victory and love of the cause, but undone by the cruel hand of fate. It's a shame that he likely won't be able to play this week, and put the memory of the two previous season ending games behind him.

He once again showed tremendous guts playing through his injury yesterday, and as a guy who has two herniated disks, I can sympathize with him in how he must have felt. The adrenaline carried him, but I guarantee that his back must have been in agony this morning. The way he plays, with his twisting and gyrating, this injury could be very difficult for him to overcome. The Cowboys must certainly consider finding a replacement in this upcoming draft. Paging Blake Bortles.......

This Sunday will be very difficult now, but DeMarco Murray is arguably one of the three best players on the team right now, and he will have his opportunity to get the ball as many times as he wants. Should be interesting to see how they adjust.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 3m
I believe Romo had herniated disc before Sunday and that it likely got worse. Key is for good @dallascowboys medical staff to calm symptoms.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 6m
All due respect to @ESPNNFL reports, if i were @dallascowboys fan, would hold out hope for Tony Romo based on my previous tweets.#NotDoneYet

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 22m
@bhagarty13 Didn't have immediate leg weakness and could finish game speaks to more likely spasm than true nerve compression.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 29m
To be clear, I am not saying #Romo will play. Just saying despite media reports, i wouldn't give up hope yet @dallascowboys.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 44m
Would be unusual for #Romo to finish game and have symptoms worsen to the point he needs immediate surgery. Likely spasm and pain.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 42m
Many NFL players play with herniated disc and delay surgery until after the season. (of course i don't have any direct knowledge of #Romo)

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:
“All I’m saying is he has back spasms, symptoms that we’re treating as we go along in the week to see if he will play,’’ Jones said. “There is nothing structurally that will rule him out if he feels good and is cleared to play. Nothing.’’

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...-romo-might-be-cleared-to-play-vs.-eagles.ece

Doomsay

Reaction score
Perhaps that's why he didn't run for that easy first down yesterday.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:
“All I’m saying is he has back spasms, symptoms that we’re treating as we go along in the week to see if he will play,’’ Jones said. “There is nothing structurally that will rule him out if he feels good and is cleared to play. Nothing.’’

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...-romo-might-be-cleared-to-play-vs.-eagles.ece

Never has a GM been less credible than this guy.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
As someone who has had a herniated disc before, for Romo, i would say that it really depends on the severity of it.

Luckily for him he is a qb and not a defensive player. Making a tackle with a bad disc, ugh that hurts my back just thinking about it.

Romo will likely be put on a spinal decompression machine to help alleviate the pressure off of his disc. It's a short term solution that can help alleviate the pain and allow Romo to play.

But again this may depend on the severity. If those disc are too far gone, surgery will be required.

But I would not rule him out. I had limited treatment for my back due to my lack of funds but yet I was still able to treat my back effectively. But Romo has unlimited access to the best spinal therapy machines and doctors in the world. If he's not able to go on Sunday, we will know that it was really bad and he probably should not have finished that game against the Commanders.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I've been critical of Romo, no doubt, but has anyone dared to suggest he needed benching or that Orton is better?

It's simple for me. I realize that AT THIS TIME, Romo gives us – hands down – the best chance to win, but I have for some time now, wanted the organization to bring some young QBs in as potential Heir Apparents or at least, to put some heat on Romo.

That feeling hasn't changed, but Romo being out is undoubtedly a potential fatal blow.

Go read the 2nd half game thread and you will see what we are all talking about............posts about how Orton is better (some guy actually has it in his sig), others saying Romo is trash, he is bottom 10 in the league, he is done, ect..............the usual haters that cant wait for a pick on game day to flood the game thread with this type of crap.

Maybe after Philly stomps a mud hole on our arse Sunday, maybe they will start thinking Romo is not that bad after all...........................I highly doubt it, I have already seen some of those guys getting scared and starting to walk back their comments about how great Orton is by saying "Orton has not had a warm up game".

If he is so dam good, why the hell does he need a throw away warm up game? They know that if Orton goes out there and stinks the place up, they are going to look like total fools on this board, so they are already starting to make excuses in case Orton sucks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jerry Jones:

This does not sound like a herniated disk if there is nothing structurally wrong......................something is not adding up here.................a freaking MRI can show if a disk is not aligned, there is not guessing involved.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
What type of favors are you doing for the mods that you can troll the same sentence through out the thread, and call people stupid?

Anyways, I don't wish injury on any player, but I did mention that if Romo were to ever go down for an extended period of time (with a solid back up, not a dud like Orton) he would never get his job back.

I don't know much about Orton, but he had good zip on his ball, and he did get the ball out quicker than Romo does. At the end of the day, we need to rally around Orton. It's funny to see Romo homers forget about the team aspect, they won't even rally around the back up QB. It's like, if Romo doesn't play, they don't care. Just like I thought, some Romo fans like him more than the team.

I love Romo, but I love the Cowboys more. I hope he can play, since he gives us our best chance to win at QB.

Orton does have some zip to his throws and I hope we see that if he indeed plays. I see him managing the game very well. With that being said our defense needs to make some key stops.

My concern is the availability of Lee, Mo and Harris. Their presence could help a lot.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
If Romo is out for the season, Kyle Orton will play well or fold like a house of cards. There is no middle ground. This will be his career defining game. He is a high draft pick who has been cast off and replaced. If he folds, it will mean he was an NFL bust. If he leads the team to victory it will be a redemption.If Orton plays, it will be interesting to see which it will be.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Romo is out for the season, Kyle Orton will play well or fold like a house of cards. There is no middle ground. This will be his career defining game. He is a high draft pick who has been cast off and replaced. If he folds, it will mean he was an NFL bust. If he leads the team to victory it will be a redemption.If Orton plays, it will be interesting to see which it will be.

I think it will be somewhere between. He's a game-managing QB, who might be able to pull off a Garrett Thanksgiving game by throwing the ball up and letting Bryant go get it ... something Romo is often reluctant to do simply because he's been burned by giving receivers jump-ball chances in the past.