Romo passes on the question of what Cowboys must do to take the next step

Rambrah

Reaction score
Color me crazy, but this is Romo positioning himself with Jerry for the head coaching job. Jerry can't imagine giving Romo the head coaching job without him having been an OC for a year. Romo is a competitive guy, and he wants to win that Super Bowl. Jerry regrets not winning it with Romo, and this is the way they can rectify that problem. Romo can do broadcasting anytime, but he won't be this sharp and understand the game this well forever. You guys say he wants to be with his family....he will do that. He wants that super bowl and this Cowboys team could definitely be positioned to go on a run with Romo as the head coach.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He still has friends on the team, and I'm sure he's rooting for them.

Sure he has some friends he is rooting for to do well although the best of them is in another booth but its human nature . The guy devoted 10 yrs to the team and is not far enough removed to want them to just win a SB without him . He has to still look at that as his team if he could have stayed healthy IMO

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony used to be BFF with Garrett and no longer even uses his name and is no longer buddies.

Probably because he feels Jason betrayed him and did not give him a chance after his injury recovery.

Further, he probably also dislikes Dak as you say being the guy that replaced him but Garrett and company made that call.

We really have no way of knowing unless Romo cares to explicate on the matter.

I disagree that Romo harbors ill will toward Dak. On the contrary, Romo was a great help to him and was constantly coaching him on the sideline during Dak's amazing rookie season. If Romo harbors any bad feelings, they are probably directed at cowboy management who not only refused to give him a chance to compete (we all know such decisions are above Garret's pay grade), but dangled him far too long as trade bait. Had they cut him sooner, he would have been Denver's QB. By the time we let him go, everyone had moved on.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Might be a little hidden code by Romo I missed initially. He chose his words carefully and said "I'll pass on that one". He could have said no comment, I'd rather not answer that, next question, whatever.

Instead he chose "I'll pass" and I don't think it's a coincidence. Meaning in order to take the next step he would have to pass? .... the football? That kind of "I'll pass"? Is this the clever message he's sending?

I read you, Tony Romo, and I miss the living crap out of you. Every sack he takes. Every misread he makes. Every technique he breaks. Every misstep he takes. I'll be missing you.
Every single day
And every word you say
Every game you play,
I"ll be watching you

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
“I honestly don’t know how it will play out,” Romo said. “I think it will be interesting to see what they morph into. In a lot of ways, I think they’ll probably stay pretty similar because the head coach is there, and it’s still probably going to be his verbiage.”

Here is the rest of his response. He hits the nail on the head. AS long as Red is here status quo.....saddle up for another year of mediocrity!!!

Rambrah

Reaction score
I think Romo understood his injury risk otherwise he would have played. We knew Romo was more talented but Romo was a hit away from being out for another 4-5 games those last 3-4 years. It was frustrating to have Romo ending season injuries for the Cowboys consistently. The cowboys valued the durability in someone who could manage our running game and was able to pass the ball as he had a million years to pass with our elite offensive line. If Romo wasn't an injury risk, there would have been no question and Romo would have gotten his job back from Dak that year. Romo's skills were understanding the game inside the game similar to Manning while having above average QB throwing abilities. He just never had a good running game and offensive line except for when he had Demarco for two years. The guy made our **** team a playoff contender whenever he was playing. If Romo missed games, we would waive our season goodbye.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
“I honestly don’t know how it will play out,” Romo said. “I think it will be interesting to see what they morph into. In a lot of ways, I think they’ll probably stay pretty similar because the head coach is there, and it’s still probably going to be his verbiage.”

Here is the rest of his response. He hits the nail on the head. AS long as Red is here status quo.....saddle up for another year of mediocrity!!!
Boom. And there it is.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think once you read what Romo said prior to being asked what needs to change , it becomes pretty clear he's talking about garret.

The Cowboys fired Scott Linehan, but Romo doesn’t expect much change other than the name of the coordinator.

That’s not really what Cowboys fans wanted to hear.

Romo paused when asked what Cowboys must do to take the next step before saying, “Umm, that’s a good question.”

He then paused again before continuing.

“I’ll pass on that one,” Romo said.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I disagree that Romo harbors ill will toward Dak. On the contrary, Romo was a great help to him and was constantly coaching him on the sideline during Dak's amazing rookie season. If Romo harbors any bad feelings, they are probably directed at cowboy management who not only refused to give him a chance to compete (we all know such decisions are above Garret's pay grade), but dangled him far too long as trade bait. Had they cut him sooner, he would have been Denver's QB. By the time we let him go, everyone had moved on.
Who ever said it was Romo that coached up Dak? I recall Dak mentioning Sanchez and am pretty sure someone posted a tweet from Broadus saying that it was a basically an urban legend and Tony didn't do much of anything.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Rambrah

Reaction score
"I think it will be interesting to see what they morph into." Romo is also saying that there is potential that the cowboys could morph. I think Romo isn't mentioning Garrett's name because he's actively wanting Garrett's job. Garrett was a ****** backup QB who never had game experience calling plays before his OC job...Romo called plays for most of his entire career. Romo knows his worth. He's a HC especially with people like Kliff Klingberry and McVay and other younger guys than Romo having HC opprtunities.

There isn't another HC option really available....Sean Payton switching seems like a pipedream more than Romo. This is serious positioning for the HC job. Romo knows he can do it ...give it to him! Let him morph our team to become superbowl winners.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
I put this in another thread, but it was meant for this one:

He could be wondering many things, but I'm going to guess he passed because it has to do with either the guy coaching the team, or the guy who replaced him.
If it was the guy who replaced him than why couldn’t tony win a Super Bowl when he had a decade and change to do so?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Might be a little hidden code by Romo I missed initially. He chose his words carefully and said "I'll pass on that one". He could have said no comment, I'd rather not answer that, next question, whatever.

Instead he chose "I'll pass" and I don't think it's a coincidence. Meaning in order to take the next step he would have to pass? .... the football? That kind of "I'll pass"? Is this the clever message he's sending?

I read you, Tony Romo, and I miss the living crap out of you. Every sack he takes. Every misread he makes. Every technique he breaks. Every misstep he takes. I'll be missing you.

Yep have not seen our season ruined and our QB in the fetal position in 3 yrs now . Im having real trouble living with a QB that can get tackled and continue to PLAY EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF EVERY GAME and win playoff games .

408Cowboy

Reaction score

Rambrah

Reaction score
Exactly, Romo would morph us by opening up the passing game! Playing mind games in the media and predicting plays. Romo will coach the "one day" he is given the reigns to run the ship similar to running the ship as the QB of the team. He's a leader, a general, a visionary, and a genius. He's not going to be sitting down obeying orders from an idiot like Garrett.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Tony is in not taking a shot at Dak a guy going through the same maturation process he did but without the time to hold the clipboard . Tony knows Dak was thrown into a tough situation and was only doing his job . If Tony had anything against Dak he sure would not have spent the time helping him his rookie year as has been documented BY DAK.

This was directed at Garrett THE GUY WHO MADE THE DECISION to continue to let Dak play. The reason things probably wont change much because the coach is the same.

Not rocket science after you read the whole article and have no agenda An elaborate spun mystery from the Dak sucks fanbase LOL What a bunch of losers