News: Romo Regrets Checking Off Run Play On First Pick

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ARLINGTON, Texas – The Cowboys’ first interception wasn’t supposed to be a pass play.

“It’s a run call that we have,” Romo said. “We’ll have three to five or six times a game where you’ll throw the ball because you have a bad look into the run. That specific time, obviously when I look back now, we should have run the ball because you threw an interception. You shouldn’t ever give them a chance with the ball. We have to get better. I have to do better than that.”

Romo explained that the Packers overloaded the side of the line the Cowboys were going to run to, so he opted to throw to Miles Austin in one-on-one coverage. He said the Cowboys didn’t run much against stacked boxes, where he felt that any team wouldn’t have success on the ground.

“The defensive end did a really good job coming in instead of following the tackle down, which usually ends up happening,” Romo said. “It was my fault for obviously putting the ball in a position where the defense could make a play.”

More: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...rst-Pick/488e47e2-90bd-437b-8103-5d21699b0b46

Deep_South

Reaction score
Tony is talking about hindsight being 20-20. He had a legit reason for the audible, and I'm sure he will audible in the future when one side is overloaded like it was here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ARLINGTON, Texas – The Cowboys’ first interception wasn’t supposed to be a pass play.

“It’s a run call that we have,” Romo said. “We’ll have three to five or six times a game where you’ll throw the ball because you have a bad look into the run. That specific time, obviously when I look back now, we should have run the ball because you threw an interception. You shouldn’t ever give them a chance with the ball. We have to get better. I have to do better than that.”

Romo explained that the Packers overloaded the side of the line the Cowboys were going to run to, so he opted to throw to Miles Austin in one-on-one coverage. He said the Cowboys didn’t run much against stacked boxes, where he felt that any team wouldn’t have success on the ground.

“The defensive end did a really good job coming in instead of following the tackle down, which usually ends up happening,” Romo said. “It was my fault for obviously putting the ball in a position where the defense could make a play.”

More: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...rst-Pick/488e47e2-90bd-437b-8103-5d21699b0b46

If he threw it 1 foot further in front of Austin, it would have been a TD. There was nobody between Austin and the end zone.

btcutter

Reaction score
Tony is talking about hindsight being 20-20. He had a legit reason for the audible, and I'm sure he will audible in the future when one side is overloaded like it was here.

His mistake was trying to force the ball to Austin. If I saw it correctly once he eluded Mathews he had the entire left side open to run and take time off the clock. That INT was all on Romo. His gun slinging habit reared it's ugly head and bit him.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
Tony Romo is a choker and a loser. and the other thing people never look at is he is a Dumb QB. this guy is a very dumb QB who does not know how to close out games. he is an accident waiting to happen as Stephen A smith would say. and so is this entire cowboys team. from Jerry and Stephen Jones on down.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Tony Romo is a choker and a loser. and the other thing people never look at is he is a Dumb QB. this guy is a very dumb QB who does not know how to close out games. he is an accident waiting to happen as Stephen A smith would say. and so is this entire cowboys team. from Jerry and Stephen Jones on down.

I see you're using a picture of yourself for your avatar. Fitting.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

I remember this like it was yesterday.

The Parcells Commandments.

Think he revealed this in 2007 on MNF right before the Bills game.

Nation

Reaction score
I see no problem in checking off the run play. Getting blown up for a loss does you no favors the way our D was playing. It was a physical error and not a mental one.

JBond

Reaction score
Stop. All Romo fanatics need to stop. I like Romo but the excuses need to stop.

btcutter

Reaction score
Perhaps the bigger problem should be why don't they have two different RUN plays calls so he can check off to one or the other RUN play. He can choose to RUN away from defensive strength. Dumb coaches.