Romo to his BFF

ufcrules1

Reaction score
This is what happens when your QB is obsessed with his BFF. Check out Cole Beasley who is WIDE OPEN for an easy first down AND MORE. Who does Romo throw the ball to? His BFF who is covered by the best defensive player on the Chargers (Eric Weddle). We were down 23-21 here, after this play we punt and then Rivers throws the TD to Gates to pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Romo can't do anything right.

He doesn't take enough shots down field but he shouldn't take a shot down field.

It was a bad throw, but not a bad decision. If he had gotten the ball out farther, it's an easy reception for Witten.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
From my viewpoint Romo is throwing it before
I'm sure the plan wasn't for the ball to bounce of Witten's chest.

Yea I was about to say.......that has nothing to do with Romo. Witten didn't catch it and he should have.

Now i've been reading all week how Romo is "stat padding" and needs to stop "dinking". He throws for 30 yards and now we're encouraging him to throw another dink even though Witten should've caught it. And I trust Witten a lot more than Beasley.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
If he had gotten the ball out farther, it's an easy reception for Witten.

I disagree. I don't think Witten had enough separation from Weddle there. The ball was underthrown a bit but Weddle was all over him, even if the ball was thrown in the perfect spot Weddle was there to defend it. Why go after the best defender on the whole Chargers defense in a dire 3rd and 8? Kindly note Romo audibled to go to Witten as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No
This is what happens when a hater "fan" searches for ways to continuosly bash his team's QB whenever said player is not 100% effecient. Another thread.

You are obsessed; always looking for things to complain about with Romo and also holding grudges for mistakes made years ago. Yet, rarely giving credit when credit is due.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Witten was covered closely and at the last possible second Witten turns around and has a very tiny window to catch the ball. Eric even had one arm on Wittens right arm making it hard for Witten to bring it up.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Beasley would have easily had over 20 yards there.. he was wide open with nobody there to stop him. Doesn't matter if your QB has blinders on though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Beasley would have easily had over 20 yards there.. he was wide open with nobody there to stop him. Doesn't matter if your QB has blinders on though.

I'd question Romo's "blinders" if he thinks going to Cole Beasley is a smarter choice than going at his Pro Bowl tight end and probably his 2nd option. If you're going to come at Romo there are a few other chances to do so. Coming at him for this is a bit low.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're cherry picking plays to make a point. Beasley doesn't even come open until Romo begins his throwing motion and the ball should have been caught anyway for probably a bigger gain.

To think Romo has tunnel vision to Witten because they're friends off the field is pretty out there. It's the kind of stuff that gives fans a bad name.

Hey, I'll start my list of the Cowboys' problems. But I'll work backward, least to most.

1. Tony Romo

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I'd question Romo's "blinders" if he thinks going to Cole Beasley is a smarter choice than going at his Pro Bowl tight end and probably his 2nd option. If you're going to come at Romo there are a few other chances to do so. Coming at him for this is a bit low.

I disagree. When a team decides to take your "pro bowl TE" out of the game and are all over him.. that means it creates one on one match ups with your other players. Beasley is majorly under utilized in our offense and especially on that play.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, the BFF reference is meant to be a derogatory hat tip to the stupid TO dysfunction. I don't like it. Secondly, you're not going to throw that ball to the slot WR on a route short of the first down when you've got your best hands open past the marker further downfield. Thirdly, the ball hit him right in the shoulder pad, even after the player was probably interfered with. Tony and Wit make plays like that all the time, and it's not reasonable to put it on any QB who hits his target right between the numbers. That play has got to be either a catch, or a penalty, or it's the receiver who didn't do his job.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think Witten had enough separation from Weddle there. The ball was underthrown a bit but Weddle was all over him, even if the ball was thrown in the perfect spot Weddle was there to defend it. Why go after the best defender on the whole Chargers defense in a dire 3rd and 8? Kindly note Romo audibled to go to Witten as well.

Witten has Weddle beaten.

EQNKc5b.png

Weddle recovers well, but he's trailing with his back to the ball. It's still possible that he could have broken up the pass once it arrived, but I don't think he was in position to do so if Romo gets the ball out in front of Witten more, and Goalpost side. Because it isn't until Witt turns around completely (obviously slowing down) that Weddle gets within reach, but still not tight on him.

Edit: But to your credit, Beasley is open with room to run. Nice clear out by Witten. Maybe we see more of this?

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Fact: romo forces the ball to Witten more than any other receiver. The Bease was open right there but Romo never looked for anyone other than Witten. When its crunch time, Romo goes to Witten. If us fans know this, best believe the defense does.

On that play, Romo had the wrong read IMO.

Jenky

Reaction score
1) Ball should have been caught or penalty.
2) Beasely was open with real-estate, by play design. Witten actually stretched the field for once.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Witten has Weddle beaten.

EQNKc5b.png

Weddle recovers well, but he's trailing with his back to the ball. It's still possible that he could have broken up the pass once it arrived, but I don't think he was in position to do so if Romo gets the ball out in front of Witten more, and Goalpost side. Because it isn't until Witt turns around completely (obviously slowing down) that Weddle gets within reach, but still not tight on him.

That view does not look like Witten is open to me. Weddle looks all over him, we both know that Weddle is way faster than Witten and by the time the ball got there Weddle would be all over him.. which he was. Now, look at Beasley in this picture.. that is what you call open. If he goes to Beasley there he picks up an easy 20+ yards and we are in field goal range at the least. The proper play there is to use Witten as a decoy to open the field up underneath for Beasley for an easy first down and much more.