Romo to his BFF

Staubacher

Reaction score
Finally we have it! The Zapruder film! The smoking gun! Ahhh haaaa!!!

Nailed you Tony Romo - you are not elite! No you are not!

This incomplete pass proves it. Thank you oh obsessive fan! Your years of painstaking research have paid off at last...Eureka!!

Quick, someone submit this thread to the Smithsonian amongst the other great discoveries of history. Move over Tom Edison

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
A "bad throw" that hit him in the chest.

A "TERRIBLE throw in traffic" that hit him in the chest.

lol

Your statement above that i bolded is why no one takes you seriously when you post this stuff, ufc.

I'll take "bad throws" all day from my QB if he's hitting every receiver right in the chest with the football.

I don't know if you've ever played football or not, but if a ball hits you in the numbers and you don't come down with it, the QB isn't the one that's going to take a tongue lashing.

There was a better throw to be made to Witten because he had Weddle beat.

He hit Witt in the chest because of Witt's adjustment. Witten's adjustment is what allowed Weddle to get back in the play and make an impact. Hence it wasn't a great throw.

Yes, Witten could have caught it and we wouldn't even be talking about it right now, but it wasn't a 'good' throw.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
There was a better throw to be made to Witten because he had Weddle beat.

He hit Witt in the chest because of Witt's adjustment. Witten's adjustment is what allowed Weddle to get back in the play and make an impact. Hence it wasn't a great throw.

Yes, Witten could have caught it and we wouldn't even be talking about it right now, but it wasn't a 'good' throw.

Whether you think it was the greatest throw of all time or the worst.. it hit him in the chest.

Rule number one for pass catchers.. if the ball hits you in the numbers, you sure as hell better come down with it.

All this other drama over the play is just fans being fans.. thinking there is always something better that could've been had.

Hindsight is great, isn't it?

In the meantime, back here in the real world.. Romo put the football on an All Pro player's chest.. it should have been a completion and a first down.

Moving on, now.. before all the crying continues about all the Romo "lovers" and "haters" and all that other nonsensical garbage that some fans here love to rattle on about as if you're engaging in some sort of intelligent conversation.

Mansta54

Reaction score
No
This is what happens when a hater "fan" searches for ways to continuosly bash his team's QB whenever said player is not 100% effecient. Another thread.

You are obsessed; always looking for things to complain about with Romo and also holding grudges for mistakes made years ago. Yet, rarely giving credit when credit is due.

Preach it!!!!

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
It wasn't a favorable matchup for us and he had safety help. Romo had his mind made up before the play. If Witten makes the catch, he is crushed by the safety right after the catch. There was a point made earlier that Romo might have not seen The Bease due to his size. I agree but Witt was the primary, had a step but was going to take a perfect throw but one that Romo has made over and over.

The OP does have a point though, Romo does target Witt when he needs a play first and foremost. I content Witt is not what he was 5 years ago and Romo would be better served looking Bryant's way and progressing.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. Witt is at the end of his #1 target years.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
It wasn't a favorable matchup for us and he had safety help. Romo had his mind made up before the play. If Witten makes the catch, he is crushed by the safety right after the catch. There was a point made earlier that Romo might have not seen The Bease due to his size. I agree but Witt was the primary, had a step but was going to take a perfect throw but one that Romo has made over and over.

The OP does have a point though, Romo does target Witt when he needs a play first and foremost. I content Witt is not what he was 5 years ago and Romo would be better served looking Bryant's way and progressing.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. Witt is at the end of his #1 target years.

Jason Witten.. he of the 110 receptions last year.

Can't be relied on to target.. everyone got that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, Witten having to do a 180 means it was a good throw? Get real man! Even other Romo lovers here are admitting it was a bad throw. How you can deny that is ludicrous.

The. Ball. Hit. Him. On. The. Numbers. If the receiver can get into a position where the ball hits him in the hands or between the numbers, then there is, by definition, absolutely nothing wrong with the throw. Honestly, it's weird that you'd argue otherwise.

Pick a throw where the receiver can't get into position to have it hit him in the hands or on the numbers if you want to criticize something. It's not like there aren't options out there for you to choose from.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The. Ball. Hit. Him. On. The. Numbers. If the receiver can get into a position where the ball hits him in the hands or between the numbers, then there is, by definition, absolutely nothing wrong with the throw. Honestly, it's weird that you'd argue otherwise.

Pick a throw where the receiver can't get into position to have it hit him in the hands or on the numbers if you want to criticize something. It's not like there aren't options out there for you to choose from.

But Idgitttttttt.. he had to do a full total 180 goofy kickflip nollie nosegrind fakie just to get in position to catch the football!!

He was dancing on one leg out there!!

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
63.6 Completion % on targets this season 74.8% last season. He has the same completion % as Dez and Witt runs underneath routes. He either isn't getting open as much as last year or Romo is off on 5 yd outs. 12.3 YPC for Dez and 9.1 for Witt. 9.2 targets in 2012 and 8.3 targets in 2013. He is still 3rd in the NFL in targets for TE position (1st in 2012).

Just sayin.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Idgitttttttt.. he had to do a full total 180 goofy kickflip nollie nosegrind fakie just to get in position to catch the football!!

He was dancing on one leg out there!!

Am I on crazy-pills right now? I can get the OP's point. I don't agree, but the idea that Romo fixates on Witten when he really needs a play, sometimes to the detriment of the team, isn't a crazy argument to make.

But this particular example of a nicely thrown ball into tight coverage that gets dropped is a horrible example for him to use. And the arguments involving whatever Tony and Witten had to do *before* they got to the point where the ball hits him right on his captain-badge is just silly. Who cares? The ball was where he should have caught it. He didn't. Period. It was one of three downs just like that in the game that killed drives. We failed there because of the drop, and not because of the read.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Am I on crazy-pills right now? I can get the OP's point. I don't agree, but the idea that Romo fixates on Witten when he really needs a play, sometimes to the detriment of the team, isn't a crazy argument to make.

But this particular example of a nicely thrown ball into tight coverage that gets dropped is a horrible example for him to use. And the arguments involving whatever Tony and Witten had to do *before* they got to the point where the ball hits him right on his captain-badge is just silly. Who cares? The ball was where he should have caught it. He didn't. Period. It was one of three downs just like that in the game that killed drives. We failed there because of the drop, and not because of the read.

I thought i was throwing on the sarcasm pretty thick there..hmm.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I went into length about the utlization of Witten. In comparison to top TEs, hi 1stDown/catch or TD/catch is pretty lacking. Not all of this is his fault like when its 3d and 7 and there is a 3 yard stop route.

All that said, in this game, they at least took more shots with him on the move vertically vs standing still and with him at the sticks. I think you would have a better argement saying they went to this same route 3 times for the longest throws of the game with 0 compltions and 1 PI. No shots to the WRs moving vertically down the seam or sideline.

There were more glaring open receivers that were missed (i.e. not thrown) than thirs - many to TWill down the field.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought i was throwing on the sarcasm pretty thick there..hmm.

No, no. I'm with you. I'm just asking you if I've gone insane here, because I can't believe the OP is debating the quality of a throw that was so obviously catchable. I feel like I've gone insane just arguing about it. :)

dstovall5

Reaction score
Lol, here's a tip dude.

When you're trying to bash a player and prove a point(not a good one), don't post a play where that said player does his job, but the other player messes it up. Romo made a catchable throw on that play, but Witten couldn't come up with it. That's pretty much the summary of that game, Romo throwing very catchable balls, but his WRs kept dropping them.

Sadly, some people are just so blinded by their hate with Romo that they seen something completely different during that game.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It wasn't the worst decision by Romo, but he relies on Witten way too much.

In fact, I was watching the game with a friend and when they were down by 9 I said 'you watch, he'll start throwing to Witten on short passes when we need to gain big chunks of yardage.' Right after I said that....Romo throw towards Witten for about 8 yards.

Witten didn't beat Weddle badly. He had a step on him and Weddle was turned around. So if you throw it there, you hope that they can draw a PI at the very least. But, Beasley was WIDE open. Probably picks up the first down and about another extra 5 yards. I would have preferred throwing to Beasley because I'll take the guy that is wide open with room to run every day. But, it wasn't a horrible decision by Romo. Witten has to catch that ball.

Even still, you're just not going to beat many teams if your defense gives up 35-42, 401 yards passing. So it's hard for me to get down on Romo too much on that play when we have much bigger issues with our pass defense.

YR

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It wasn't the worst decision by Romo, but he relies on Witten way too much.

In fact, I was watching the game with a friend and when they were down by 9 I said 'you watch, he'll start throwing to Witten on short passes when we need to gain big chunks of yardage.' Right after I said that....Romo throw towards Witten for about 8 yards.

Witten didn't beat Weddle badly. He had a step on him and Weddle was turned around. So if you throw it there, you hope that they can draw a PI at the very least. But, Beasley was WIDE open. Probably picks up the first down and about another extra 5 yards. I would have preferred throwing to Beasley because I'll take the guy that is wide open with room to run every day. But, it wasn't a horrible decision by Romo. Witten has to catch that ball.

Even still, you're just not going to beat many teams if your defense gives up 35-42, 401 yards passing. So it's hard for me to get down on Romo too much on that play when we have much bigger issues with our pass defense.

YR

wow, the amazing kreskin ladies and gentleman

fortdick

Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think Witten had enough separation from Weddle there. The ball was underthrown a bit but Weddle was all over him, even if the ball was thrown in the perfect spot Weddle was there to defend it. Why go after the best defender on the whole Chargers defense in a dire 3rd and 8? Kindly note Romo audibled to go to Witten as well.

Don't look know, but your agenda is showing.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Beasley was wide open underneath. Witten had Weddle beaten deep.

Romo underthrew Witten, which forced Witten to slow down and turn around until he was almost backpeddling. That allowed Weddle to make up ground and interfere with Witten's right arm as he tried to reach up for the ball. Witten was unable to make a one-handed catch with his left hand while backpeddling and being interfered with by Weddle.

Blame whomever you want, but I don't see how anyone can dispute those facts.

rpntex

Reaction score
Break it down in slow motion. At the time Romo begins his throwing motion, Beasley and his man are both occupying the same patch of ground. Witten, meanwhile, has Weddle turned around completely. The fact that Romo underthrew the ball is the only thing that made the play close. If he leads him, it's a huge gain, unless the safety closes incredibly on the ball.

Right decision, less-than-perfect throw. Bottom line, however---it hit Witten right between the 8 and the 2.