Romo trade vs release implications

willia451

Reaction score
Romo could say that he will just retire rather than go to Cleveland.

Any team that wants to trade for him would want to interview him first. If he is not all-in to play for them, then they are highly unlikely to attempt to make the trade. They would not want to give up a pick and then have him retire.

I wish he would retire after this season quite frankly. I'm really worried about his health.

Dude is one big hit away from a wheel chair. And that would really, really suck. For him mostly. But for everyone else as well.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I w
I wish he would retire after this season quite frankly. I'm really worried about his health.

Dude is one big hit away from a wheel chair. And that would really, really suck. For him mostly. But for everyone else as well.
wish you would stop filling thw board with nonsense you saw what #9 did this week damn near took dak's job..in 3 min

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Romo could say that he will just retire rather than go to Cleveland.

Any team that wants to trade for him would want to interview him first. If he is not all-in to play for them, then they are highly unlikely to attempt to make the trade. They would not want to give up a pick and then have him retire.

Good point. If Romo were to pull the retirement card though, then he would have to give up his $14M salary and return prorated bonus money (I think). That might be about $25M which is serious coin just to say no to a team. Romo retiring would be better for the Cowboys' salary cap I think. If Romo really wants to play next year, I doubt he would go nuclear. And Romo doesn't have much time to sit and wait a year.

Jerry most likely will work his best trade offer and at the same time allow Romo's agent to work trade offers. Jerry has final say whether a trade happens or not. If Romo's agent can get a deal to Jerry's liking, then I'm sure Jerry will ok it.

So, I doubt Romo would retire. Just my opinion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. If Romo were to pull the retirement card though, then he would have to give up his $14M salary and return prorated bonus money (I think). That might be about $25M which is serious coin just to say no to a team. Romo retiring would be better for the Cowboys' salary cap I think. If Romo really wants to play next year, I doubt he would go nuclear. And Romo doesn't have much time to sit and wait a year.

Jerry most likely will work his best trade offer and at the same time allow Romo's agent to work trade offers. Jerry has final say whether a trade happens or not. If Romo's agent can get a deal to Jerry's liking, then I'm sure Jerry will ok it.

So, I doubt Romo would retire. Just my opinion.
Technically he would owe the Cowboys 12.5M because he is 1/2 way though his contract and the signing bonus was 25M. It is highly unlikely that Jerry would force him to pay it back.

Obviously he would be leaving the 14M salary on the table.

As I said before, all Romo has to do is indicate to the new team that he does not want to play there, and then that team won't trade for him because they would risk giving up a pick and then having him retire.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I w

wish you would stop filling thw board with nonsense you saw what #9 did this week damn near took dak's job..in 3 min

im sorry but what? This post is nonsense.

Really, this board needs a spring cleaning.

After Romo is gone, hopefully some of his superfans will be too, on to whatever team he chooses.

blumayne38

Reaction score
im sorry but what? This post is nonsense.

Really, this board needs a spring cleaning.

After Romo is gone, hopefully some of his superfans will be too, on to whatever team he chooses.
Go dak!

Dracula

Reaction score
I w

If what you say is true, then why didn't the Cowboys leave Romo in instead of yanking him for Sanchez? Apparently, Cowboy management thinks more along the lines of Wilia451 then they do you. Stop your nonsense.

blumayne38

Reaction score
If what you say is true, then why didn't the Cowboys leave Romo in instead of yanking him for Sanchez? Apparently, Cowboy management thinks more along the lines of Wilia451 then they do you. Stop your nonsense.
Because sanchez is better !! Duh..lol don't you know he is 4-2 in the post season

blumayne38

Reaction score
Because sanchez is better !! Duh..lol don't you know he is 4-2 in the post season
If Romo stayed in justification for ben ch cig dak would have been at a all time high...that's why they sat him..ill admit he prolly won't be a cowboy again next year but not because he isn't good but because dak obviously took advantage of his opportunity of being in a highly talented and we'll put together team..

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Here is break-down of trading or releasing Romo. After you get thru it all its clear a release is much more favorable for Cowboys.

1) If Dallas trades Romo - they absorb 19.6 million in signing bonus in 2017. Romo was set to make 24.7 million in 2017 so Cowboys would save 5.1 million if they trade him. I see nothing more than conditional pick for Romo as Dallas will have little leverage as Tony will only accept trade to few Super-Bowl ready teams.

2) If Dallas releases Romo they can spread 19.6 signing bonus over 2 years. 9.8 million would count against cap in 2017 & 2018. Dallas would save 14.9 million in 2017.

When you look at numbers its clear what Dallas should do. The additional 9.8 million in savings by releasing him instead of trading him (14.9 - 5.1) is much more valuable in resigning players or adding FAs vs getting a conditional pick that would carry high risk with Romo health concerns.

I think the second option is short sided as its only beneficial for the 2017 cap, while in 2018 the Cowboys are set to gain considerable cap space. Romo could agree to renegotiate making a higher compensatory pick possible. The Cowboys have put a premium on building through the draft and acquiring something in return, possibly as high as a 2nd round pick may be worth it to give up the 9.8 million in 2017. Secondly the additional cap savings wouldnt be available to be used until after June 1st so it will serve little purpose in helping the Cowboys with free agency.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Option #3 keep him as a backup since we already know his contract numbers. He'll be a very expensive but the best back up QB we can have. Furthermore, great insurance to have just in case Dak needs more time to develop (we've seen a few 1st yr QB who regress in the 2nd yrs....just saying).

If we couldnt get fair compensation in return, this would be the next best scenerio. His cap savings isnt immediately impactful enough in 2017 to feel great about releasing him. Plus the Cowboys are still going to have to spend some money on a backup QB, and Romo would basically cost an additional 5 million to keep him. This isnt the same situation as with Manning where people werent sure if he would be able to play again.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Also I am posting list of Dallas FA this off-season so how Romo situation plays out has big implications:

PLAYER (17)

Rolando McClain ILB 27 DAL TBD $4,000,000 UFA -
Morris Claiborne CB 26 DAL TBD $3,000,000 UFA -
Ron Leary G 27 DAL TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Barry Church SS 28 DAL TBD $2,206,750 UFA -
Mark Sanchez QB 30 DAL TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Andrew Gachkar OLB 28 DAL TBD $1,750,000 UFA -
Darren McFadden RB 29 DAL TBD $1,500,000 UFA
Lance Dunbar RB 26 DAL TBD $1,250,000 UFA -
Jack Crawford DE 28 DAL TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Gavin Escobar TE 25 DAL TBD $1,052,623 UFA -
Terrell McClain DT 28 DAL TBD $1,016,667 UFA -
Justin Durant ILB 31 DAL TBD $965,000 UFA -
Joshua Thomas CB 27 DAL TBD $760,000 UFA -
Terrance Williams WR 27 DAL TBD $724,243 UFA -
Kellen Moore QB 27 DAL TBD $710,000 UFA -
J.J. Wilcox FS 27 DAL TBD $702,767 UFA -
Brice Butler WR 26 DAL TBD $556,875 UFA -

Im still not sure you get that you cant use the 9.8 million until June 1st, by then it helps little in retaining these players...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I w

I didn't know you could take a job from a guy who went 13-2, and would have gone 14-2 had he had the entire game. Learn something everyday.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Technically he would owe the Cowboys 12.5M because he is 1/2 way though his contract and the signing bonus was 25M. It is highly unlikely that Jerry would force him to pay it back.

Obviously he would be leaving the 14M salary on the table.

As I said before, all Romo has to do is indicate to the new team that he does not want to play there, and then that team won't trade for him because they would risk giving up a pick and then having him retire.

I believe Jerry would make him pay back the bonus if he pulled the retirement card. Team comes first, not Romo first. And I doubt Romo would give up $26M and his last chance to play in the NFL just because he doesn't want to go to Cleveland for a year or two. If he really wants to play in the NFL, he will go wherever. Heck, every team in the NFL is one or two or three injuries away from 4-12.

Any trade would be conditional on Romo not retiring, I guess, if that is allowable.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we couldnt get fair compensation in return, this would be the next best scenerio. His cap savings isnt immediately impactful enough in 2017 to feel great about releasing him. Plus the Cowboys are still going to have to spend some money on a backup QB, and Romo would basically cost an additional 5 million to keep him. This isnt the same situation as with Manning where people werent sure if he would be able to play again.
The best scenario is to either release or trade him. That's the scenario for all possible outcomes. In 3 years, all of his money will be off the books.