Romo trade vs release implications

Wood

Reaction score
I don't know what you're trying to say.

Back to the point, it does not matter to the Cowboys from a cap perspective whether they trade or cut Romo. There is no savings for one vs the other.

The process of managing the cap is different but the total numbers come out the same either way.

What I am saying is in year where team anticipates a large cap hit (such as Romo) and has fairly high list of expiring contracts of valuable players. Why not defer multiple contracts into 2018 where there will be no large cap hit of single player. But I wouldn't get into practice of extending years to those contract i deferred money. And avoid post june 1 cut all together.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I am saying is in year where team anticipates a large cap hit (such as Romo) and has fairly high list of expiring contracts of valuable players. Why not defer multiple contracts into 2018 where there will be no large cap hit of single player. But I wouldn't get into practice of extending years to those contract i deferred money.
They will defer significant money from other contracts in order to sign free agents and absorb the cap hit from trading Romo.

Even if if they sign some big name free agents, they won't have to restructure all other contracts. The first year cap hits of the free agents can be relatively small.

starcity214

Reaction score
your not living in reality if you still see Romo in that light.

Who do you suggest the cowboys sign as a backup after they get rid of Romo?
For years people have been saying Romo needed competition and now that we have two "starters" you people are willing to do whatever it takes to get Romo out of town.. My question is, why? If he is a washed up QB why not keep him around just in case.. In all honesty i feel that all of us know Romo is the best QB on the roster and people are afraid that he will take his job back. If we root for the team, why are people against a fair competition? What's wrong with having two great options? All of this "trade or release Romo" talk is idiotic when history has shown that we are bound to need a backup eventually...

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Striking gold on a starting QB that costs only $600k allows us to do something that would be difficult otherwise - eat Romo's entire contract in one year.

Splitting it is almost always beneficial but I don't think so this time. There's a bunch of young players we have that will all come due around the same time. It's too early to sign most of them to a new deal just yet. It's going to be more beneficial to the team to have it all off the books in 2018 rather than some this year and some in 2018. I suspect they also want to be closer to the CBA expiration and new TV contracts around 2020/21.

The main drivers of what happens will be (1) Tony, and (2) destination team offer. Garoppolo also being on the market will influence options.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For years people have been saying Romo needed competition and now that we have two "starters" you people are willing to do whatever it takes to get Romo out of town.. My question is, why? If he is a washed up QB why not keep him around just in case.. In all honesty i feel that all of us know Romo is the best QB on the roster and people are afraid that he will take his job back. If we root for the team, why are people against a fair competition? What's wrong with having two great options? All of this "trade or release Romo" talk is idiotic when history has shown that we are bound to need a backup eventually...
1. Romo will likely retire if being a backup is his only option.

2. It will be expensive to keep him in terms of cap space.

3. If they could get a premium draft pick for him, it would be hard to turn down because they also get significant cap space AND the pick.

Wood

Reaction score

I am not really concerned with back up QB with Dak as starter. He is young. I really only worry about backup QBs when starter starts getting beat up after years of playing in NFL. More concerned with who my back up RB is next year.

starcity214

Reaction score
I am not really concerned with back up QB with Dak as starter. He is young. I really only worry about backup QBs when starter starts getting beat up after years of playing in NFL. More concerned with who my back up RB is next year.

Teddy Bridgewater, Mariotta, and Derek Carr are pretty young too.. Im glad you're

Bridgewater, Mariotta, and Carr are also young Qbs....wonder what happened to them this year... At this point, you are out of reach. You have crossed over to the other side. We can be 1-15 next year with Dak and Romo winning the Superbowl with the Broncos and you would still put down Romo. As i said, at this point, it's not about how great Dak is but how much you people "hate" Romo. Look at Cam newton, Rg3 and Nick foles.. One year wonders are a real thing. Why go all in? Why not wait and see, if he is the real deal, Romo being here won't matter...

Wood

Reaction score
Teddy Bridgewater, Mariotta, and Derek Carr are pretty young too.. Im glad you're

Bridgewater, Mariotta, and Carr are also young Qbs....wonder what happened to them this year... At this point, you are out of reach. You have crossed over to the other side. We can be 1-15 next year with Dak and Romo winning the Superbowl with the Broncos and you would still put down Romo. As i said, at this point, it's not about how great Dak is but how much you people "hate" Romo. Look at Cam newton, Rg3 and Nick foles.. One year wonders are a real thing. Why go all in? Why not wait and see, if he is the real deal, Romo being here won't matter...

For him to stay he would need to lower his base salary from $14 million to about $8 million. Remember that would still be alot of money for back up but I wouldn't expect him to accept reduce pay. Just don't see Dallas taking on 24.7 million for guy holding clip board.

We should also consider the person. He wants to win Super Bowl as starter. Its probably only thing left for him.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
You trade or release him because his cap hit is far too much to have as a b/u. You need to maximize the value of Daks cheap years, and having Romo on the books doesn't allow that to happen. You also have to take into account that Romo wants to go somewhere and actually start. He still has the capabilities and deserves that opportunity.

This is absurd. There's plenty of fans of both of the players here. Dak allows you to go cheap at the QB position and invest in other positions heavily. Seattle practically built it's SB teams on Wilson being so cheap. When you can get similar production for a 40th of the cost, you always take the cheaper option. Even more so when you can get a draft pick/s for the more expensive player.

This isn't about being a Romo hater. It's about roster management and Dak is the better option to maximize the roster going forward.

starcity214

Reaction score
You trade or release him because his cap hit is far too much to have as a b/u. You need to maximize the value of Daks cheap years, and having Romo on the books doesn't allow that to happen. You also have to take into account that Romo wants to go somewhere and actually start. He still has the capabilities and deserves that opportunity.

This is absurd. There's plenty of fans of both of the players here. Dak allows you to go cheap at the QB position and invest in other positions heavily. Seattle practically built it's SB teams on Wilson being so cheap. When you can get similar production for a 40th of the cost, you always take the cheaper option. Even more so when you can get a draft pick/s for the more expensive player.

This isn't about being a Romo hater. It's about roster management and Dak is the better option to maximize the roster going forward.

Who do you sign with the money saved ?
Give me names.. Also, those players will be here for a long time ( Carr and his 50 million contract say hi). Whoever you get will not impact the team as much as having a backup like Romo on the bench. As i said, it would be idiotic to ship him out.
Look at the examples i just gave, An injury is not out of the question especially since Dak likes to run and take hits. And to the guy that said Romo deserves a shot , i agree. Let him get his shot next year.. May the best QB win.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well much simpler to leave all this to the jones boys lol.
But I would not take less than a 1st round pick for tony.
I dont get that I keep him.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Who do you sign with the money saved ?
Give me names.. Also, those players will be here for a long time ( Carr and his 50 million contract say hi). Whoever you get will not impact the team as much as having a backup like Romo on the bench. As i said, it would be idiotic to ship him out.
Look at the examples i just gave, An injury is not out of the question especially since Dak likes to run and take hits. And to the guy that said Romo deserves a shot , i agree. Let him get his shot next year.. May the best QB win.
Romo doesn't want to sit on the bench. It's as simple as that. He's not starting here, so he won't be here moving forward. Sorry if you can't accept that.

starcity214

Reaction score
Romo doesn't want to sit on the bench. It's as simple as that. He's not starting here, so he won't be here moving forward. Sorry if you can't accept that.

You know, life is funny sometimes. Maybe we don't deserve to see Romo as a SB champion. How sad would it be if Romo goes to another team and wins a couple rings and we go back to mediocrity. We have seen this show before.. RG3 shows up, wins all kinds of awards, the skins fans are proclaiming themselves champions for the next 20 years because of RG3 and then the next year... They come back down to reality. The panthers? Same thing.. Why are the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys drew brees of the world always around year after year being good? They are elite Qbs. They can throw it from the pocket without the need of a gimmick offense. They can put the game on their shoulders and MOVE the ball. 220 yards passing pg aint gone cut it..Rg3 was limited.. Easy to gameplan. Cam Newton is limited, same thing. Heck, even Kapernick went to a SB, where is he now? If Romo wasn't around, fine..lets ride this bus until it stops. But we are ready to win now with Romo. Why get rid of him? Why?! This year, fine let Dak prove us doubters wrong. But if he can't, it should be open competition next tear. If Romo gets hurt? Great, we finally have the backup people wanted so bad. Again, the reason people want to move on from Romo is because he is a scrub but if thats the case, why are they so afraid to have him around? Heck, even Aikman had competition.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
You know, life is funny sometimes. Maybe we don't deserve to see Romo as a SB champion. How sad would it be if Romo goes to another team and wins a couple rings and we go back to mediocrity. We have seen this show before.. RG3 shows up, wins all kinds of awards, the skins fans are proclaiming themselves champions for the next 20 years because of RG3 and then the next year... They come back down to reality. The panthers? Same thing.. Why are the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Bradys drew brees of the world always around year after year being good? They are elite Qbs. They can throw it from the pocket without the need of a gimmick offense. They can put the game on their shoulders and MOVE the ball. 220 yards passing pg aint gone cut it..Rg3 was limited.. Easy to gameplan. Cam Newton is limited, same thing. Heck, even Kapernick went to a SB, where is he now? If Romo wasn't around, fine..lets ride this bus until it stops. But we are ready to win now with Romo. Why get rid of him? Why?! This year, fine let Dak prove us doubters wrong. But if he can't, it should be open competition next tear. If Romo gets hurt? Great, we finally have the backup people wanted so bad. Again, the reason people want to move on from Romo is because he is a scrub but if thats the case, why are they so afraid to have him around? Heck, even Aikman had competition.
People don't want him around because having a b/u qb with a 24 million cap hit is horrible asset management. Even if he wanted to be the b/u, his cap hit alone prevents it. Have a nice day, but this conversation has run its course.

ghst187

Reaction score
Is it possible that JJ and Romo and say Denver collude to tear up Romo's current contract with signing bonus and in return we let Romo walk to the team he wants early and his new team makes sure he gets the same level of money and signing bonus he would've been paid by us?
Seems like it would be a win/win for all if something like that could be worked out.
Is that in the realm of possibility?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Money is why no one wants to keep Romo around. You can potentially get some value for him.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think the team and especially Jerry is going to pitch Romo on the idea of staying in Dallas.

He can continue to split reps in practice with the first teamers so its not embarrassing to just play with the backups, he can be the long term backup that is ready to step in at a moment's notice, and if Dak starts to struggle then Romo might even have an opportunity to compete for the starting job. Dak was given the starting job this year, but there is nothing written in stone that if Dak throws 4 picks in the NFCCG that he is automatically handed the starting job next year. Garrett says every year that he wants competition at every position on this team, so why should QB be any different? Garrett says every player has to earn their starting job on this team, nothing is given to anybody, so why would this not apply to the QB position as well? There is also the line of thinking that you need to see more out of Dak than just one season, what if he is just a one year wonder? Now I don't believe this, I think Dak is going to be a star in this league, but I cannot totally disregard the possibility. There have been rookie QBs in the past that have looked like studs their rookie years and then flamed out (see Vince Young and RG3 who both won rookie of the year).

Ultimately, its going to come down to how bad Romo wants to play week in and week out. Jerry views Romo almost like a son and Jerry is not going to do Romo dirty by trading him to some scrub team like the Browns or Jags, just not going to happen regardless of how much they offer. Romo will either be traded to a super bowl caliber team like Denver or the Cardinals or he will be released per his request out of respect.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Here is break-down of trading or releasing Romo. After you get thru it all its clear a release is much more favorable for Cowboys.

1) If Dallas trades Romo - they absorb 19.6 million in signing bonus in 2017. Romo was set to make 24.7 million in 2017 so Cowboys would save 5.1 million if they trade him. I see nothing more than conditional pick for Romo as Dallas will have little leverage as Tony will only accept trade to few Super-Bowl ready teams.

2) If Dallas releases Romo they can spread 19.6 signing bonus over 2 years. 9.8 million would count against cap in 2017 & 2018. Dallas would save 14.9 million in 2017.

When you look at numbers its clear what Dallas should do. The additional 9.8 million in savings by releasing him instead of trading him (14.9 - 5.1) is much more valuable in resigning players or adding FAs vs getting a conditional pick that would carry high risk with Romo health concerns.
Would the dollars work if we traded Romo for Clowney?

RamziD

Reaction score
I think we can get at least a 3rd for Romo, so trade him. Is there a no-trade clause to certain teams that's in Romo's contract? I haven't heard anything about it, so we can see what the best offer out there is