Romo trade vs release implications

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Option #3 keep him as a backup since we already know his contract numbers. He'll be a very expensive but the best back up QB we can have. Furthermore, great insurance to have just in case Dak needs more time to develop (we've seen a few 1st yr QB who regress in the 2nd yrs....just saying).

Im gonna tweak your option #3 a little. Keep him and let them have a competition for the starting job. Nothing should be given. It should be earned. This is assuming we do not win the big game this year.

rynochop

Reaction score
There's no cap reason why they HAVE to let him go, as was mentioned we could be 40 million under the cap with restructures and keep Tony. Unless people want to open up the vault and sign a bunch of high priced FAs that everyone can then gripe about when they don't perform as well as their contract

conner01

Reaction score
Denver went into the preseason expecting Mark Sanchez to start for them. Houston gave Brock Osweiler a 72 Million dollar contract.

If a four time Pro Bowl QB is on the market teams will give up AT LEAST a 3rd round pick, injury questions or not.
I agree
I think people over play the injury thing

Reactions: CWR

aikemirv

Reaction score
A team like Denver immediately becomes Super Bowl contender with Romo. You take the 1st that they possibly offer and run with it

manster4ever

Reaction score
A team like Denver immediately becomes Super Bowl contender with Romo. You take the 1st that they possibly offer and run with it

No doubt. But Elway doesn't just throw 1st rounders around. They have Simeien(SP?) and Lynch so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they'll trade for Tony. I can see Buffalo or the Jets doing it though. Buffalo's D is very good and if they get a certain type of head coach that's Romo friendly (Linehan?) then it could work.

aikemirv

Reaction score
No doubt. But Elway doesn't just throw 1st rounders around. They have Simeien(SP?) and Lynch so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they'll trade for Tony. I can see Buffalo or the Jets doing it though. Buffalo's D is very good and if they get a certain type of head coach that's Romo friendly (Linehan?) then it could work.

They have a mid round 1st and any GM in the league would give that away for a chance to get to the SuperBowl the next 2 years. It may be conditional but I think you could get it. He is a plug and play 35 td and 3500-4000 yards in Denver with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders.

WeaponX

Reaction score
I've thought for awhile now that Buffalo is going to be the landing spot and that it would be in conjunction with a coach that has history with him (Linehan, Wade Phillips, etc). I personally feel that with Romo and the talent that they have on that defense that they'll be a dangerous team should any of the above come to pass.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Anything other than a high draft pick may make releasing him the better option.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Option #3 keep him as a backup since we already know his contract numbers. He'll be a very expensive but the best back up QB we can have. Furthermore, great insurance to have just in case Dak needs more time to develop (we've seen a few 1st yr QB who regress in the 2nd yrs....just saying).
Your talking about holding onto a 24mill backup? Hmmm

CWR

Reaction score
There will be a team out there that desperately wants Romo in order to make a superbowl run, like Houston for example. All we need is some competition for his services. I guess Im in the minority but to me hes worth a hell of alot more than Sam Bradford.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The salary cap and cap space is just trickery. Teams manipulate it all the time and sign who they want to sign, and cut who the wanna cut. Plus with the cap increasing every year, no team should worry about being able to re-sign their own players.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Here is break-down of trading or releasing Romo. After you get thru it all its clear a release is much more favorable for Cowboys.

1) If Dallas trades Romo - they absorb 19.6 million in signing bonus in 2017. Romo was set to make 24.7 million in 2017 so Cowboys would save 5.1 million if they trade him. I see nothing more than conditional pick for Romo as Dallas will have little leverage as Tony will only accept trade to few Super-Bowl ready teams.

1) Does Romo have a clause in his contract where he can deny a trade? If not, then Romo has no say unless Jerry is nice to him. My guess is that Romo does not have a trade clause in his contract.

2) More importantly, did you watch any football yesterday or the week before? 10-12 teams had stinking piles of garbage for QBs: Minn, Mia, Jax, NYJ, SF, Buff, Chi, Clev, Az, Wash, Houston, and Den (Siemian looked decent yesterday though, not so much the previous weeks). I expect a bidding war for Romo's services next year. He only has a $14M salary. The 2017 QB draft class is weak, very weak. Goff and Wentz were the cream of the crop last year and they ended up 4-12 and 7-9. Nothing out there. And Romo will fill stadiums, I guarantee it. And filled stadiums means $ for the owners. No way would I accept less than a first round and more for Romo. 10 Teams are desperate for a QB and desperate Minn gave up a mid first for Sam Bradford.

Let the bidding begin for Romo. Cleveland needs a QB bad, real bad. Cleveland needs to win now, like tomorrow, not two years from now. I like Cleveland's 1st rd pick from the Eagles, #11 I think. Let the other desperate teams top that.

Romo led the team to a TD vs the Eagles with Free, Looney, and Cleary on the OL and no Elliott in the backfield. Let that sink in

AbeBeta

Reaction score
1) Does Romo have a clause in his contract where he can deny a trade? If not, then Romo has no say unless Jerry is nice to him. My guess is that Romo does not have a trade clause in his contract.

2) More importantly, did you watch any football yesterday or the week before? 10-12 teams had stinking piles of garbage for QBs: Minn, Mia, Jax, NYJ, SF, Buff, Chi, Clev, Az, Wash, Houston, and Den (Siemian looked decent yesterday though, not so much the previous weeks). I expect a bidding war for Romo's services next year. He only has a $14M salary. The 2017 QB draft class is weak, very weak. Goff and Wentz were the cream of the crop last year and they ended up 4-12 and 7-9. Nothing out there. And Romo will fill stadiums, I guarantee it. And filled stadiums means $ for the owners. No way would I accept less than a first round and more for Romo. 10 Teams are desperate for a QB and desperate Minn gave up a mid first for Sam Bradford.

Let the bidding begin for Romo. Cleveland needs a QB bad, real bad. Cleveland needs to win now, like tomorrow, not two years from now. I like Cleveland's 1st rd pick from the Eagles, #11 I think. Let the other desperate teams top that.

Romo led the team to a TD vs the Eagles with Free, Looney, and Cleary on the OL and no Elliott in the backfield. Let that sink in

Jerry isn't trading him without his blessing. That's respect. And it's the right thing to do

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Here is break-down of trading or releasing Romo. After you get thru it all its clear a release is much more favorable for Cowboys.

1) If Dallas trades Romo - they absorb 19.6 million in signing bonus in 2017. Romo was set to make 24.7 million in 2017 so Cowboys would save 5.1 million if they trade him. I see nothing more than conditional pick for Romo as Dallas will have little leverage as Tony will only accept trade to few Super-Bowl ready teams.

2) If Dallas releases Romo they can spread 19.6 signing bonus over 2 years. 9.8 million would count against cap in 2017 & 2018. Dallas would save 14.9 million in 2017.

When you look at numbers its clear what Dallas should do. The additional 9.8 million in savings by releasing him instead of trading him (14.9 - 5.1) is much more valuable in resigning players or adding FAs vs getting a conditional pick that would carry high risk with Romo health concerns.

Not sure if someone already posted this, but a trade or release (or retirement) work exactly the same.

Your scenario 2 is a June 1st release, which means the cap room isn't available until June 1st, well after the majority of free agents have signed new contracts.

willia451

Reaction score
I'm sorry. If I were a GM I would need to see Romo take a few hits before I gave up anything or traded for him.

In the team try out, he would have to stand in a simulated pocket like a crash test dummy in full gear and take a couple of fairly solid hits from a DE.

If he survived without injury, then we could talk.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo could say that he will just retire rather than go to Cleveland.

Any team that wants to trade for him would want to interview him first. If he is not all-in to play for them, then they are highly unlikely to attempt to make the trade. They would not want to give up a pick and then have him retire.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry. If I were a GM I would need to see Romo take a few hits before I gave up anything or traded for him.

In the team try out, he would have to stand in a simulated pocket like a crash test dummy in full gear and take a couple of fairly solid hits from a DE.

If he survived without injury, then we could talk.
Jerry should have a video made of the Cowboys defensive players hitting Romo.

If a team is on the fence in regards to trade compensation, then Jerry can request more videos with each one having more and harder hits on Romo.

:laugh: