CZ POLL Romo: Traded, Released, Retained Or Retire?

What do you think will happen with Romo in the near foreseeable future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think will happen with Romo this offseason? Here are important upcoming league dates that may factor into the decision:

• March 9 - 2017 league year begins. Top 51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2017 salary cap prior to 4 PM EST. Trading period starts at 4 PM EST.
  • April 27-19 - 2017 NFL Draft
  • June 2 - Unamortized signing bonuses belonging to players released or traded on or after June 2 will be included with the 2018 league year.
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765416/article/national-football-league-important-dates-for-2017%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%253Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%253Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dteam%253Dmin%253Bconf%253Dnfc%253Bdvsn%253Dncn%26sr%3Damp

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is more likely that Tony will be released. I think if he can help lower his cap hit by renegotiating his contract it would go a long way in making a trade. Whatever the outcome I wish Romo nothing but the best of luck

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The league does not have 32 quality NFL starting QB's.

We have two.

We would be beyond stupid to give one away for free.

It is not free, his 24.5 mill deal for next season is a costly one. I would love to get a 3rd rd pick for him but if push comes to shove Dallas getting cap relief to be able to be aggressive in getting needed help is critical for this team.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The league does not have 32 quality NFL starting QB's.

We have two.

We would be beyond stupid to give one away for free.

We would be beyond stupid to tie resources into Romo going forward. If he didn't have the injury history beyond this year, I'd agree, but I really don't know if teams will give up a draft pick for him.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It is not free, his 24.5 mill deal for next season is a costly one. I would love to get a 3rd rd pick for him but if push comes to shove Dallas getting cap relief to be able to be aggressive in getting needed help is critical for this team.

He will not count 24.5M against the cap next year, one way or another.

This and the oh-my-god we have to sign Zack Martin tomorrow crowd has this board seeing ghosts.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He will not count 24.5M against the cap next year, one way or another.

This and the oh-my-god we have to sign Zack Martin tomorrow crowd has this board seeing ghosts.

Dallas would be stupid to pay out that for a backup. I'm sorry no team in the NFL is going to pay out one of the highest contracts in the entire league for him to sit on their bench. it makes 0 sense to do so. People need to put their personal loyalty to the side.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas would be stupid to pay out that for a backup. I'm sorry no team in the NFL is going to pay out one of the highest contracts in the entire league for him to sit on their bench. it makes 0 sense to do so. People need to put their personal loyalty to the side.
It's not going to happen so no worries.

rambo2

Reaction score
The smartest thing would be to keep him and let him start. Dak would have his feelings hurt at first, but that is ok. You can't complain much when the team is winning and Romo is playing well and that would be what would happen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, I think that one misconception is that Romo conceded the starting quarterback role for the 2016 season only. I could be wrong but I believe Romo accepted the condition that Prescott will be the starting quarterback for seasons to come. With that in mind, I think Romo seeks a fresh start outside of Dallas. It's understandable that some may be fearful of Prescott sustaining a future injury but that has and will always be possibility of any starter playing the sport. However, that isn't a viable enough reason to either consider Romo will not seek his opportunity outside Dallas or that Dallas will not replace him as a backup. Sometimes one cannot have their cake and eat it too.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Still think there is a decent chance the Cowboys find a trade partner. On balance, though, given the circumstances, I think it is more likely Romo is released.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
What should happen is that we trade him for a Rd 1 or 2 pick

What "will" happen is that jerry will stupidly cut or release him and another team will get him for free

I'd like to get a 1st or 2nd for him, but I just don't see a Team giving you a 1st or 2nd round pick for a 37 year old aging quarterback with a history of injury...Any team who would want Romo (looks like three teams -Den, Hou, Ari) probably knows Dallas is going to list him as a post June 2nd release because they need the cap room and by releasing Romo after June 2nd, they can spread his cap hit over two years so why would they give you drafts picks for a guy they could sign after his release..

rambo2

Reaction score
I'd like to get a 1st or 2nd for him, but I just don't see a Team giving you a 1st or 2nd round pick for a 37 year old aging quarterback with a history of injury...Any team who would want Romo (looks like three teams -Den, Hou, Ari) probably knows Dallas is going to list him as a post June 2nd release because they need the cap room and by releasing Romo after June 2nd, they can spread his cap hit over two years so why would they give you drafts picks for a guy they could sign after his release..

I think that they can trade him and move up in the first round. Denver looks like the most likely. There are so many teams that need Romo. I find it unlikely they would release him when Denver and Houston would be Super Bowl ready with him. So, that is two teams right there that should be bidding against each other and it is likely that other teams would get in it as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

AZ is out of the mix with Palmer coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.