Romo vs Dak

sjmike

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I was a huge Tony Romo fan. Living in Iggle country, I would defend him all day against the likes of McNabb, etc. I thought he was hugely underrated and not given much to work with as compared to the other greats of the day. Then Dak had to start his rookie year because Romo got hurt in preseason. Was basically thrust in because he was all we had. Played his *** off. Was Offensive Rookie of the Year. Romo was healthy again towards the end of the year but I wanted to ride the hot hand and stay with Dak. And that's what they did. Romo came in on the last drive against the Iggles in the last game and drove the team to a TD. Storybook ending to a great career. Well deserved. Well earned.
Anyway, here we are into Dak's fourth year and I am wondering how he measures up to the stud that I thought Tony Romo was. I don't have all the comeback stats, I hope someone can chime in with that but I know they both have alot of them. But I have other key QB stats. These are career stats
Romo Dak
Yds/gm 219.1 236.3
Comp pct 65.3 66.7
TD % 5.7 4.6
Int % 2.7 1.9
Pass Rating 97.1 96.9
Total Pass TDs 248 79
Rush Yds 620 1107
Rush TDs 5 21
Years Played 10 3.5
I know alot of you are Romo fans. Does everyone realize how favorably Dak compares to Romo? They are very similar in many stats but Dak has the added advantage of 21 rushing TDs and over 1100 rushing yards.
That's 4 times as many rushing TDs and almost twice as many rushing yards in about a third of a career. I know that Romo was a better pure passer and Dak is a better mobile QB but can we please realize how good we have it to have Dak as our QB for now and the year's to come? And I believe Dak is only gonna get better. What say you?

jay94

Reaction score
Every single new era favors the qb more and more. Dak could easily get better, but this season which has been amazing is way to of a small sample. Dak still needs everything in place to be successful. Romo made players, Miles Austin, Terrance Williams, Laurent Robinsonand yes even Dez Bryant. Terrance Williams isn't even in the league anymore. I know injuries hurt Dez, but once Romo was done he fell off a complete cliff.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Romo was good. Dak is good. But I still prefer a 6'4" pure pocket passer. And a big physical front 7 on defense. What can I say, Brady and the Patriots have left a huge impression on my psychy.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me preface by saying that I was a huge Tony Romo fan. Living in Iggle country, I would defend him all day against the likes of McNabb, etc. I thought he was hugely underrated and not given much to work with as compared to the other greats of the day. Then Dak had to start his rookie year because Romo got hurt in preseason. Was basically thrust in because he was all we had. Played his *** off. Was Offensive Rookie of the Year. Romo was healthy again towards the end of the year but I wanted to ride the hot hand and stay with Dak. And that's what they did. Romo came in on the last drive against the Iggles in the last game and drove the team to a TD. Storybook ending to a great career. Well deserved. Well earned.
Anyway, here we are into Dak's fourth year and I am wondering how he measures up to the stud that I thought Tony Romo was. I don't have all the comeback stats, I hope someone can chime in with that but I know they both have alot of them. But I have other key QB stats. These are career stats
Romo Dak
Yds/gm 219.1 236.3
Comp pct 65.3 66.7
TD % 5.7 4.6
Int % 2.7 1.9
Pass Rating 97.1 96.9
Total Pass TDs 248 79
Rush Yds 620 1107
Rush TDs 5 21
Years Played 10 3.5
I know alot of you are Romo fans. Does everyone realize how favorably Dak compares to Romo? They are very similar in many stats but Dak has the added advantage of 21 rushing TDs and over 1100 rushing yards.
That's 4 times as many rushing TDs and almost twice as many rushing yards in about a third of a career. I know that Romo was a better pure passer and Dak is a better mobile QB but can we please realize how good we have it to have Dak as our QB for now and the year's to come? And I believe Dak is only gonna get better. What say you?

They say if you live long enough you will see and hear it all.
lol......

keysersoze

Reaction score
Every single new era favors the qb more and more. Dak could easily get better, but this season which has been amazing is way to of a small sample. Dak still needs everything in place to be successful. Romo made players, Miles Austin, Terrance Williams, Laurent Robinsonand yes even Dez Bryant. Terrance Williams isn't even in the league anymore. I know injuries hurt Dez, but once Romo was done he fell off a complete cliff.
Romo didn’t make those players. Key starters like TO, Witten, Dez, Murray and others had more of an influence on those guys’ stats while in Dallas because they drew the attention away from the second tier guys by commanding extra coverage rolled over the top and in Murray’s case, an extra man in the box. All Romo did is what any seasoned quarterback should do. THROW TO THE OPEN RECEIVERS. You guys kill me with that “Romo made them” BS... None of those guys remained effective as a main WR in Dallas with Romo or anywhere else for that matter. Once the previous number ones left those guys production fell off. Austin may have faired best. But much of his yardage was after the catch because he ran strong and broke a lot of tackles. Not because of some Romo Mojo. LMAO. They were all really good number twos who benefitted from single coverage vs. second and third best cornerbacks. With the exception of Dez. Who would’ve been Dez with or without Romo. You dudes with this Romo fanaticism are really delusional.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I just hope they keep putting teams around dak unlike they did with romo. Daks already had more better teams than romo had.
With the exception of Zeke, name one other position Dak has at his disposal that’s better.... :facepalm:
Even then Murray’s 2014 season was no small feat. Marion Barber was pretty good for a few seasons also. If y’all gonna make these comparisons be equal and honest about it.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Romo Dak
Yds/gm 219.1 236.3
Comp pct 65.3 66.7
TD % 5.7 4.6
Int % 2.7 1.9
Pass Rating 97.1 96.9
Total Pass TDs 248 79
Rush Yds 620 1107
Rush TDs 5 21
Years Played 10 3.5

You must be new here. This topic has been beatin to death.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem that many Dak and Romo haters/homers have is they always think that anyone who disagrees about the one they prefer is basing their opinions on stats or other quarterback attributes.

That's just not the case for most people and many of them do not even realize it themselves.

Romo was a great quarterback. He got better as he got older until his health became an issue.

Dak started out great, then declined a little and has been playing much better this year.

The bottom line though? None of that matters. It does not matter who was/is better. It does not matter whose stats were better.

What matters is winning playoff games and Super Bowls. As great as Romo was, we all know that his teams did not make it to the NFC championship much less the Super Bowl.

It doesn't matter if it was his fault or the defense's fault. It does not matter if the other team the Cowboys lost to in the playoffs was peaking at the right time.

The only thing that matters is winning. Winning in the regular season to get to the playoffs, winning playoff games to get the Super Bowl, and then winning a Super Bowl.

There are a lot of great quarterbacks who never won a Super Bowl and there are several average or worse quarterbacks who have.

Cowboys fans will always judge the Cowboys quarterbacks on post-season success.

In the end, Romo had very little post-season success and his career is over. Meaning, that book is closed and what he won is all he will ever win.

Dak may never be Romo or may be way better than Romo. None of that matters.

The only thing that matters is if Dak helps the Cowboys win Super Bowls. Otherwise, we'll be comparing Romo and Dak to the next franchise quarterback in a few years while hoping that one leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Romo was an INT machine early his career. Dak throws into coverage and has success. 70.6% overall. You guys will never be satisfied.

What's this ""you guys" stuff?? I'm a Cowboys fan and cheer/cheered for both. And I never mentioned anything about INT's early in anyone's career. I said he was better at throwing people open.

71%2BoQ85y-gL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
(In bold) ^^^^ Oh, really??? Let's find out!

Here are Dez's career stats:

As you can see, by the time Dez was drafted by the Cowboys in 2010, Romo had been in the league for 6 years with 4 years as a proven starter. Notice how Dez didn't hit the 1,000+ yards receiving mark per season until his 3rd year as a pro in 2012. He did flourish and improve in receiving yards every year while under Romo, until you reach the 2015 season where Romo was injured throughout most of it.

Still, if one wants to be fair and accurate, look at Dez's receiving yards in both 2016 & 2017 while under Dak? You will notice that Dez actually increased his yards from 2016 to 2017. Notice how Dez received roughly 800 yards in 2016, even though he missed out on 3 games due to his foot injury, age and diminishing skills. Had he played in the 3 missed games, it's not hard for one to assume Dez would have easily caught at least 1,000 yards and possibly more. Even his yards per reception average of 15.9 yards that 2016 season is higher than any average Dez had under Romo. How can that be if you said Dak can't make players better, especially an at the time aging, hobbled and skills diminished Dez Bryant???

Want some more proof that your words are hogwash?

Let's look at Amari Cooper's career stats and compare them from his time playing under Carr and Dak:

Amari Cooper started off his career with a bang lighting it up with 1,000+ yards receiving each year his first two years (2015 & 2016) playing in Oakland under Carr as his QB. But what happened his 3rd year in 2017? Only 680 yards, then a measly 280 yards and only 1 TD for the first half of the 2018 season under Carr before he was traded to the Cowboys under Dak? Notice how Amari lit it up for 725 yards receiving and 6 TDs for the 2nd half of his 2018 season under Dak. Now, add in this year where the Cowboys are still 1 game shy of meeting the season's halfway point, Amari already has 621 yards receiving with 5 TDs and a by far stunning career high 16.3 yards per reception average while under Dak! Amari is on pace of ending up with season career highs in both yards receiving, TDs and yards per catch average. By far better numbers under Dak than Carr.

How can that be? I thought you said only Romo could make receivers better but not Dak???

As everyone can see, you and others who have spewed the same BS are full of hogwash. Spewing lies to bash our current QB in order to prop up the old one who has been retired for 2.5 seasons now. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
This again!?!

Why don't we just argue over comparisons of Staubach and Danny White?
Or White and Gary Hogeboom? Or Steve Walsh and Troy Aikman?

Retorical question:
Why is it so wrong to simply appreciate both Romo and Dak on here?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Love this line of thinking:

Dak needs everything in place to be successful.
Romo made the players around him.

Now ask why Romo didn’t win anything and watch the excuses flow. Now remember Romo didn’t need everything to be successful, remember?
He never had a good defense
Coaching
Never had a running Back
The sun was always in his eyes
He played against the wind
Never had an O line
His WRs dropped balls