Romo vs Dak

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm a fan of both Romo and Dak. I don't feel the need to rip on one to build up the other. Romo spent 13 years in Dallas and 10 as the starting QB his numbers speak for themselves. Dak is in the early part of his career and I see continual improvement in his play and have seen the leadership by him since day 1.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
QB get paid for there passing not there running.....did you really need for me to explain that to you here?
This isn't Mississippi State University bud....:huh:

And for some QB in the NFL it is their ability to run that puts added pressure on the defense. As for Dak passing he is avg over 300 yards a game, his 8.9 per completion is 3rd highest in the NFL and your constant dink and dunk is a load of BS. I know you will never concede that Dak is improving since you have spent all your time slamming him and heals to dug in to change now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Last I checked, a rushing TD is worth the same amount of points as a passing TD. So that argument really holds no water.

I agree and as mentioned it makes it tough for defenders to cover their man and defend the QB with the ability to take off and run. His ability to run is an asset to this offense and his ability as a passer continues to improve

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And for some QB in the NFL it is their ability to run that puts added pressure on the defense. As for Dak passing he is avg over 300 yards a game, his 8.9 per completion is 3rd highest in the NFL and your constant dink and dunk is a load of BS. I know you will never concede that Dak is improving since you have spent all your time slamming him and heals to dug in to change now.

10 pts vs the Saints
3pts in 3 Q vs the Pack
3 Pts at the half vs the Jets.

Dak is slamming himself there Mr. congeniality.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I was a huge Tony Romo fan. Living in Iggle country, I would defend him all day against the likes of McNabb, etc. I thought he was hugely underrated and not given much to work with as compared to the other greats of the day. Then Dak had to start his rookie year because Romo got hurt in preseason. Was basically thrust in because he was all we had. Played his *** off. Was Offensive Rookie of the Year. Romo was healthy again towards the end of the year but I wanted to ride the hot hand and stay with Dak. And that's what they did. Romo came in on the last drive against the Iggles in the last game and drove the team to a TD. Storybook ending to a great career. Well deserved. Well earned.
Anyway, here we are into Dak's fourth year and I am wondering how he measures up to the stud that I thought Tony Romo was. I don't have all the comeback stats, I hope someone can chime in with that but I know they both have alot of them. But I have other key QB stats. These are career stats
Romo Dak
Yds/gm 219.1 236.3
Comp pct 65.3 66.7
TD % 5.7 4.6
Int % 2.7 1.9
Pass Rating 97.1 96.9
Total Pass TDs 248 79
Rush Yds 620 1107
Rush TDs 5 21
Years Played 10 3.5
I know alot of you are Romo fans. Does everyone realize how favorably Dak compares to Romo? They are very similar in many stats but Dak has the added advantage of 21 rushing TDs and over 1100 rushing yards.
That's 4 times as many rushing TDs and almost twice as many rushing yards in about a third of a career. I know that Romo was a better pure passer and Dak is a better mobile QB but can we please realize how good we have it to have Dak as our QB for now and the year's to come? And I believe Dak is only gonna get better. What say you?
why does this matter comparing Dak and Romo? not sure if is Dak fanatics feeling they need to live up to Romo or is Romo fans trying to show he was as good as Dak is.....this is a meaningless comparison.

but just for the sake of Argument. Romo didn't have the same talent that Dak has had, Romo went through a rebuilding...when he did have the players he produced at a high level....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it is never-ending. Happens time after time on forums, television, radio, barbershop, you name it. People must compare, overcriticize, and devalue Player A with and for Player B and vise versa. It is ingrained and almost as illogical as talking about gameday matchups of Quarterback A versus Quarterback B when it has ALWAYS been QB A against Team B defense and Team A defense against QB B.

Does not stop sports loving humans from trying to rationalize all of it. Kinda like the widespread, commonly held erroneous misconception of "injury-prone" and sports. "Hey! That guy is tough! He is invulnerable! He is... dang. that looked bad. Oh well. He's fragile. Now that OTHER guy! He's TOUGH!!!"

lol

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and as mentioned it makes it tough for defenders to cover their man and defend the QB with the ability to take off and run. His ability to run is an asset to this offense and his ability as a passer continues to improve

Ya, guess thats why Micheal Vick won all those Superbowl???? LOL

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Dak does not have some unique ability to run, he’s just one of the few to have to do it to offset his mediocre passing ability. No one is saying it is not a good thing when Dak scores a rushing TD, but using it to compare to other QBs is disingenuous because most QBs do not care about running for 2 yard TDs, they just hand it to their backs. As a matter of fact most of their coaches insist they hand it to their backs, which is something that will likely also happen to Dak when he’s not making 2 million a year.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
10 pts vs the Saints
3pts in 3 Q vs the Pack
3 Pts at the half vs the Jets.

Dak is slamming himself there Mr. congeniality.....

I love that you're so into this trolling caricature that the idiocy of cherry picking different portions from different games is lost on you. I respect it - logic and reason thrown to the wind for something greater. Dare I say Pappy is a method actor? Hats off!

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Up until this year, I think Romo was a better passer and it really wasn't close. This year though? Dak has made it an argument and that's a huge compliment to him and his hard work.

Here's my admittedly meaningless breakdown:

Short throws? Pretty even.

Intermediate throws? Romo. That was his bread and butter.

Deep throws? As of this year, Dak. My goodness is he good at those these days.

Pocket presence? Romo. He was a magician at avoiding the rush.

On the run? Dak. He will truck your ***.

Intangibles? Dak. He's more of a team leader than Romo ever was. And that's not a slight against Romo but some dudes are just leaders of men and Dak is one.

Obviously, that's a very basic breakdown and I still think Romo was a better passer overall but Dak has made such huge improvements that I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion changed in coming years.

All this from the biggest Romosexual you've ever met.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I love both of them and they both have their great points and faults

I have said a million times that by the time Romo became a great QB mentally his body was done.

Dak still needs seasoning but he has attributes that makes me think he will get there.

He had already completely changed his throwing mechanics during the off-season and I assume he will keep getting better.

I don't have to pick a side because I like both guys better than 99% of my fellow fans.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I like both our last 2 starting QB's. Not bashing either. I've seen them both improve with experience. But they are different kinds of QB's. I think both have/had SB potential.

We are fortunate to have Dak. We are fortunate to have had Tony. What's amazing to me is neither costs us much draft capital which is telling in itself. I'm just along for the ride ... and frikken enjoying it. It's great being a Cowboy fan.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you forget about Captain Comeback? He set the example of how a dual threat QB is a gift.

Captain Comeback could pass accurately with great pocket presence and poise, not a panic Sally. Add to that leading the WR and reading defenses.
Now only the fact that you dare compare #12 to # 4 shows that you Dak-Blind.....Gl with that.....:huh: