Romo vs Prescott: W-L Record when throwing 400+ yards

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just heard on 105.3 the fan:
  • Both Tony and Dak have had 5 400 passing yards regular season games.
  • Tony went 0-5 and Dak is 4-1.
Obviously you never go into a game planning on passing for 400+ yards, but it seems like Dak delivers more often than not when he is forced into those situations.

Feel free to discuss.
:laugh:

That seems like a warped way to look at it. When quarterbacks throw for 400-plus yards and lose, it's likely that the quarterback wasn't the problem. Of course, the details of each outing would be necessary to ascertain that.

streetcredit

Reaction score
Dak with Crayton, Dez, Terrence Williams, Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn...Glenn and Owens were not in their prime.

Skillit

Reaction score
I was always a little reserved with Tony. I liked him more as he got older.

Tony had several games with huge stats that ended with his mistake after he’d already had to come back on the field and win the game for the 2nd, 3rd time.

he played with some horrible defenses.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I don't know what metric people want to use when comparing the two guys, but through this point in Romo's career as a starter versus Dak:

- Dak has won more games
- Dak has thrown for more yards
- Dak has a higher completion percentage
- Dak has thrown fewer interceptions
- They had the same number of playoff wins

Big_D

Reaction score
I believe the state of the offensive line has been greatly exaggerated after 2016:
  • 2016: Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free
    • This was the 3rd (and final) year of this offensive line
    • This was one hell of an oline for anyone to play behind
    • Yet Romo still was unable to stay healthy behind this line
    • No one other than Romo or Dak was able to win even when playing behind THIS line
  • 2017: Smith, Cooper, Frederick, Martin, Collins
    • Cooper (who was a big pet cat of mine during his draft) was a big downgrade from Leary
    • Collins rookie year was not pretty and most were saying he should be moved to OG
  • 2018: Smith, Williams, Looney, Martin, Collins
    • Fred was out, and while Looney was not terrible, he was average and a big downgrade
    • Williams rookie year was not great
    • Collins was still getting flak for being pretty inconsistent
  • 2019: Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins
    • Fred was back, but far from his old self (probably why he retired after the season)
    • People was calling for Williams to be replaced and/or benched
    • But at least Collins FINALLY played like a stud and after getting paid
  • 2020 so far, ya, not good.
    • The Rams dominated them and Atlanta was dominating them early in the game until a couple of their front 7 defenders went down with injuries.
And none of those included Smith's yearly "miss almost a quarter of the season" and his backups have been trash that Dak has to deal with EVERY FREAKING YEAR.

Maybe none of those were as bad as some of the Romo lines, but there has been absolutely no consistency in the oline since Dak has been in the league.

Smith, Martin, Frederick, Zeke. Now do a run down on Romo’s line. Show me how consistent they were. Romo was 32 when they drafted Tyron Smith. lol. These offenses are night and day and the QB is certainly benefiting.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Obviously you never go into a game planning on passing for 400+ yards, but it seems like Dak delivers more often than not when he is forced into those situations.

Feel free to discuss.

If Tony threw for 400 yards and still lost that tells me there were problems elsewhere that the QB can't control.

I'll never forget the day Romo threw for 400+ yards, 6 TDs, the Cowboys lost 51-48 and nimrods blamed him for the loss, as opposed to the garbage defense. :muttley:

aikemirv

Reaction score

Feel free to discuss.
Records of opponents at the time the 400 yards were thrown :

vs Romo 23-17
vs Dak 10-15

Records of opponents at season end:

Vs Romo 45-35
vs Dak 29-36 (Atl not included for this year)

Preoccupied

Reaction score
Can we have a comparison of the following next please:

Where Romo used to stand/ sit on the sidelines compared to where dak does. Better still a dot map of where they both walked to and from.
Furthermore the average speed they walked at and the median amount of team mates they spoke to.
Please capture the aforementioned data between game weeks 7 and 11 for any given years for both players and let the comparisons commence.....o_O

uvaballa

Reaction score
Goes to show just how horrific those defenses were that Jerry trotted out during the Romo years
They gave up 39 points last week and JJ dropped an easy TD which could have put them in the 40s.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Can we have a comparison of the following next please:

Where Romo used to stand/ sit on the sidelines compared to where dak does. Better still a dot map of where they both walked to and from.
Furthermore the average speed they walked at and the median amount of team mates they spoke to.
Please capture the aforementioned data between game weeks 7 and 11 for any given years for both players and let the comparisons commence.....o_O
I did hear romo sits down when he pees

khiladi

Reaction score
True. But having to cover for bad defenses is not just a Romo-only thing.

This is a passing era and Dak’s passing attack is heavily built on play-action, meaning defenses are frightened by the rushing attack. And Romo never had this much talent on the side of the ball and Dak has never had Garrett as the actual play-caller.

Dak also has Quincy Carter records of futility when he didn’t have Cooper and 4 INTs returned for a TD in less than half a season. Dak completely blows when he isn’t surrounded by skilled players at every position.

Don’t even get me started on the OL. Barkley got even worse the moment Garrett came to NY and now he’s torn his ACL..

Just stop..

foofighters

Reaction score
Why do you guys look for things to argue about even after wins?

The arguing after wins stat would be more alarming than Dak/Tony 400yd games.
If you'd read the OP, you'd know this came from The Fan. That radio station is getting more and more annoying to listen to.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't know what metric people want to use when comparing the two guys, but through this point in Romo's career as a starter versus Dak:

- Dak has won more games
- Dak has thrown for more yards
- Dak has a higher completion percentage
- Dak has thrown fewer interceptions
- They had the same number of playoff wins

Uh, we wasted a SB window when Zeke came to make this offense “Dak-friendly”. This is year 5 in the experiment.

Dak has NEVER carried a team. Carrying a team is when Zeke is suspended and Cooper isn’t here, which Dak has ZERO times. Not a team stacked with three WRs that can start anywhere, all-pro linemen and the best RB in the game, of which the play action is built off of..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uh, we wasted a SB window when Zeke came to make this offense “Dak-friendly”. This is year 5 in the experiment.

Dak has NEVER carried a team. Carrying a team is when Zeke is suspended and Cooper isn’t here, which Dak has ZERO times. Not a team stacked with three WRs that can start anywhere, all-pro linemen and the best RB in the game, of which the play action is built off of..
Mahomes has Kelce, Sammy Watkins and Tyreke Hill who can start anywhere......I didn't think you'd show up this week since Cowboys won you only pop up when they lose.

khiladi

Reaction score
I believe the state of the offensive line has been greatly exaggerated after 2016:
  • 2016: Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free
    • This was the 3rd (and final) year of this offensive line
    • This was one hell of an oline for anyone to play behind
    • Yet Romo still was unable to stay healthy behind this line
    • No one other than Romo or Dak was able to win even when playing behind THIS line
  • 2017: Smith, Cooper, Frederick, Martin, Collins
    • Cooper (who was a big pet cat of mine during his draft) was a big downgrade from Leary
    • Collins rookie year was not pretty and most were saying he should be moved to OG
  • 2018: Smith, Williams, Looney, Martin, Collins
    • Fred was out, and while Looney was not terrible, he was average and a big downgrade
    • Williams rookie year was not great
    • Collins was still getting flak for being pretty inconsistent
  • 2019: Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins
    • Fred was back, but far from his old self (probably why he retired after the season)
    • People was calling for Williams to be replaced and/or benched
    • But at least Collins FINALLY played like a stud and after getting paid
  • 2020 so far, ya, not good.
    • The Rams dominated them and Atlanta was dominating them early in the game until a couple of their front 7 defenders went down with injuries.
And none of those included Smith's yearly "miss almost a quarter of the season" and his backups have been trash that Dak has to deal with EVERY FREAKING YEAR.

Maybe none of those were as bad as some of the Romo lines, but there has been absolutely no consistency in the oline since Dak has been in the league.

That’s a consistent as they come in the NFL. Trash, please... That’s 3 to 4 all-pro linemen playing together for well over 4 years during Dak’s time here.

khiladi

Reaction score
Mahomes has Kelce, Sammy Watkins and Tyreke Hill who can start anywhere......I didn't think you'd show up this week since Cowboys won you only pop up when they lose.

I pop up every week and you always pop up following me, after saying your done with me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I pop up every week and you always pop up following me, after saying your done with me.
Boy I never said I was "done with you"...you acting like you my girlfriend or something....if I was done I would've blocked you. You're the one who does this. I just say you are a liar and then you get upset.