Twitter: Romo's nugget on Cooper Rush

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only reason rush isn't a starter is because he's not physically that great of a QB. His arm strength is mediocre, he accuracy is decent. And his mobility is average. But if you just need him to fill in for a few games and have good enough play calling, and players around him. He can play just good enough to keep you from losing. Which is just fine for a backup QB.

My only hope is Dak is taking notes. Stop hesitating so much and just throw the football. I swear he plays in fear far too much. When he stops thinking and just plays he's a fine QB. But when he plays like the cowardly man like he did on Sunday we get that nonsense. I hope Cooper rush shows him that you don't have to have wide open players and huge throwing lanes to throw the football.
Dak was trying to throw into too tight of coverage last week, double and triple. At first I thought he just overestimated his own abilities, but now I think he either didn't recognize the coverage or just panicked...maybe both. He needs to go to a sports psychologist, if he's going to have any chance of hitting his ceiling.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was trying to throw into too tight of coverage last week, double and triple. At first I thought he just overestimated his own abilities, but now I think he either didn't recognize the coverage or just panicked...maybe both. He needs to go to a sports psychologist, if he's going to have any chance of hitting his ceiling.
Maybe he reads this forum about not being able to throw in coverage and trying to show he can? o_O

I KID!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Romo throwing shade at Dak. All those positives can be taken in contrast to the current criticisms of an unconfident Dak.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It is funny how people try to make him more than he was, while others try to make him less. HE won the game, his second start, under not the best of conditions. Coming out of last week, our O line sucked, our WR's sucked, our RB's sucked, and the QBs sucked. Let's enjoy the win, and hope that we can come up with a game plan to do it again next week.

stinkface

Reaction score
The TD pass to Brown was more about the great catch of a sucky pass than the fact that it was simply a great catch. None of his 19 completions were great. But if it gets us by, I'm good.
Maybe, maybe not. He seemed to hit Cedee in stride a few times and that doesn't seem to happen with Dak. Rush may not have much arm strength, but he seems to throw it to the right guy most of the time. Bottom line he can hold the fort down it seems based on two starts over two years. There are worse backup's in the league by far.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. He seemed to hit Cedee in stride a few times and that doesn't seem to happen with Dak. Rush may not have much arm strength, but he seems to throw it to the right guy most of the time. Bottom line he can hold the fort down it seems based on two starts over two years. There are worse backup's in the league by far.
There were near INT throws he needs to clean up. And Moore needs to run more and I think we'll be fine. I'm not really trashing Rush, he is what he is. And whoever plays I'm cheering on.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The TD pass to Brown was more about the great catch of a sucky pass than the fact that it was simply a great catch. None of his 19 completions were great. But if it gets us by, I'm good.

I lean toward what Romo said: Brown mistimed his jump. He made an easy catch look fairly awkward.

sbark

Reaction score
The best thing about Rush is his understanding of the game. He's one of those guys who has the knowledge to be a top QB, but not the physical ability. So you're always looking for someone with both the knowledge and ability because limitations are tough to overcome in this league. He's done it in two starts, though, with plenty of help, of course.
..didn't Dak have the same help?

Cooper played with nothing to loose....Dak goes into a cover 3 offense...yes offense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
..didn't Dak have the same help?

Cooper played with nothing to loose....Dak goes into a cover 3 offense...yes offense

Every game is different. Maybe a Dak-led offense would have scored 30 against Cincy; maybe not. Maybe a Rush-led offense would have been shut out by Tampa; maybe not. Our fans have this desire to compare things we just don't know or blame/credit quarterbacks for things that are a team effort.

I can only comment accurately on things that I see. I didn't think that we should have kept Rush this season based on what I saw in the preseason. He proved for one game at least that this game was different than those.

Havic

Reaction score
Rush can win us games, but not on a consistent basis from what you would expect as starter. His limitations are glaring, but he plays hard and preps well to succeed.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Rush is proof that Bill Parcells' football still wins in the NFL. Get you a bus driver, build a great offensive line, get a couple of good running backs, and build up on the defensive side of the ball. That's football 101 in Bill Parcells world. Running the ball and stopping the run is still championship football.

I still want that 6'4" strong armed QB and big bodied skill players on the offense. Let our big bodied WR's and TE's beat up on the the defense to go along with our rushing attack. That way we make sure we maintain our balance on offense. Like Aikman said, "if we'd never run against eight man fronts, Emmitt wouldn't own the rushing title". He said that because he didn't agree with all of these teams checking out of the run when they see a 8 man front. Jimmy Johnson's team played Bill Parcells football. Smash them in the mouth a and when you're done smashing them in the mouth... smash them in the mouth again.

God, I miss those days.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
If Dak doesn’t get rid of the bad juju and get his head straightened out.....this could be the beginning of a downward spiral he won’t recover from.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There's going to be a lot of bummed out fans when Dak returns - likely early, I might add - and doesn't perform at a high level. Cooper is adequate, but Dak has a higher ceiling and most importantly a bigger contract. I don't think there's a chance that Dak doesn't get the job back as soon as he is "ready", per Dr. Jones.