Ron Brace

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
5mics;2687105 said:
Some players bloom late? Why is he then being touted as a 2nd-3rd rounder instead of a late/UDFA if he was just a JAG? I'm open to changing my mind on him, but I want to hear the "final" evals from NFL scouts especially our guys. For now though, he's my guy.

It's not a unanimous decision that he is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I can provide multiple sources that have him as a 5th or 6th rounder as well.

Also, how do you know he is being touted as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if your still waiting on the final evals from NFL scouts.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I would like for us to take Brace, but definately not in the 2nd. I think a lot of the people knocking him are over looking the fact that in 07' BJ Raji didn't play due to his grades and Brace put of almost identical numbers. On top of that Boston College ranked 2nd in the nation vs the run, allowing 75.5 yards per game vs the 91.21 yards per game this year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He sounds like the next Marcus Spears. How many reps did he do on bench?

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Phinsider Exclusive Interview with Ron Brace**
phinsider160_tiny.gif
by Matty I on Feb 18, 2009 12:15 AM EST in News
comment.v1599.png
21 comments
Brace1.jpg

Could Brace potentially be Miami's nose tackle of the future?
With the Scouting Combine just a day or so away, everyone is preparing to watch their favorite potential draft picks work out for all 32 NFL teams. And one of the players who has been getting a lot of attention recently, especially among Dolphin fans, is Boston College defensive tackle Ron Brace.
Brace, a 3 year starter at BC, has been overshadowed by his teammate and likely top 10 overall draft pick B.J. Raji. But that doesn't mean Brace, who had a very good career himself at BC, isn't going to garner a lot of attention from NFL scouts and GMs - especially from teams who are looking for a nose tackle to fit their 3-4 defensive scheme.
At the Senior Bowl, Brace measured in at 6'3, 329 pounds - certainly large enough handle the nose. And while he doesn't have much experience at all in a 3-4 scheme, Ron's bulk, strength, and ability to collapse a pocket lead you to believe he'd be able to effectively transition to the nose.
I recently had a chance to exchange a few questions with Ron. Among some of the highlights, he tells us that the Dolphins have indeed shown interest in him and that he'd welcome the chance to play in a 3-4 defensive scheme. Below are my questions and Ron's responses:
Ron, I'm sure that you are attracting a lot of attention since you're one of the draft's only players who could play nose tackle at this next level. Which teams have shown the most interest in you so far?
"Yeah I got a lot of attention at the Senior Bowl. I spent a lot of time with teams running a 3-4. The Dolphins, Cowboys, Chargers, Steelers, Broncos, and Patriots, to name a few."
What have your conversations with the Dolphins been like so far?
"They’ve been real positive. I must’ve talked with the Dolphins a couple times throughout the Senior Bowl week. We had lengthy talks about my background and things I like to do outside of football. They asked me a lot of questions and really took the time out to get to know me as a person."
How do you feel about potentially being targeted by Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins? Is a city like Miami and a team like the Dolphins - a team that is on the upswing but also one with a historic past - something that excites you?
"It feels good. Miami has a great organization from top to bottom. I’m impressed with how quickly they turned it around this past year. This whole process is real exciting. It’s really nice to know that they’re interested."
Do you have any experience playing in a 3-4 defensive scheme? And how would you feel transitioning to the nose after spending your college days playing in a defense at BC that used 4 down lineman?
"I would like to play for any team who believes in me, whether it’s a 4-3 or 3-4. I know that I would have no problem taking up two gaps though. I could definitely see myself as a nose in a 3-4. But I also want to go out and prove that I’m more than just a bruiser. Albert Haynesworth was considered only that early in his career, and now he’s not only a mauler, but a pass rusher at the line too."
What do you feel are some of your strengths as a player? And what do you feel you most need to work on?
"I’m quick off the snap. I’ve got a nasty bull-rush. I can occupy multiple linemen and collapse the pocket. I feel that you can always get better at anything, so I’m a guy who’s going to keep working on my craft."
What do you think is going to be toughest in your transition from the college game to the pros?
"The wear and tear of a 17-week season, plus the playoffs. That’ll be the biggest difference, and definitely one I look forward to."

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having him cause if he can stuff the run well enough it would allow us to be flexible with Jay where he can play some NT and some DE to pass rush. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Ron Brace

6'3, 326 pounds | Boston College | Defensive tackle

Strengths: Brace possesses the size of a two-gap plugger, but the quickness to of a one-gap tackle. He uses that size and quickness to stuff the run nicely. He has a powerful base and is hard to move around. Because of that, running backs have to adjust where they're going or run right into Brace. Strong against the double team. During the 2008 season, Brace would regularly take up two blockers so teammate B.J. Raji could burst into the backfield. Uses his power to collapse the interior of the pocket. Good agility, which allows him to slide down the line really well.

Weaknesses: Not especially productive. Had only 27 tackles as a senior, which is just over two a game. Really not a factor rushing the pass unless he can push a blocker back or gets an open lane. Some questions about his durability due to recurring back ailment in 2008. Pursuit and effort are lacking at times. Doesn't always fight hard to get through double teams. Inconsistent with his technique. Will get too upright at times negating his his strength.

Final word: Brace is a top run-stopping tackle who was often overshadowed by Raji. He may not be much of a pass rusher, but his ability against the run warrants such a high grade. A second-team All ACC member in 2008 and honorable mention in 2007. Has some versatility because he's a multi-technique tackle.

Round projection: 2

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=1
Ron Brace Scouting Report Written by Rob Tribbett Mar 07, 2009 at 07:48 PM
ronbrace.jpg

Credit: Boston College Athletics

Boston College DT Ron Brace Scouting Report
Height: 6-3, Weight: 334, 40 Yard Dash: 5.47
Strengths: Ideal NFL size and bulk...strong lower body, really an anchor versus the run...decent first step for a man his size...NFL ready run stuffer right now...can deliver the big hit when he gets in close...shows good awareness...has the ability to take on multiple defenders...could be a 3-4 NT...teamed with B.J. Raji to shut down opposing rushing offenses...

Weaknesses: Needs to work on his technique, can sometimes get too high...needs to improve his conditioning and motor...played next to the top defensive tackle in the draft so was never given the full attention of the offense...not a pass rushing threat...will struggle to pursue laterally...

Overall: Ron Brace may never put up big numbers in the NFL, but he is the type of player that can really anchor a top defense. His strength at the point of attack and massive size will be a huge asset and could lead to him being selected to play the nose in a 3-4 scheme. He also would be a solid player at the nose in a 4-3 scheme. He was productive at BC getting into the backfield (11 TFL as a senior) but there is some concern his value was inflated because of B.J. Raji. However, his potential and size are too hard to ignore and he represents a great value in the second round or later. Teams must convince themselves that his injury history wit his back, as well as his conditioning, are non factors.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2687479 said:
He sounds like the next Marcus Spears. How many reps did he do on bench?

Manwiththeplan;2687461 said:
I would like for us to take Brace, but definately not in the 2nd. I think a lot of the people knocking him are over looking the fact that in 07' BJ Raji didn't play due to his grades and Brace put of almost identical numbers. On top of that Boston College ranked 2nd in the nation vs the run, allowing 75.5 yards per game vs the 91.21 yards per game this year.
:hammer: This will probably be ignore.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If he's there in Rd 3, I'd take him, let him develop as a back-up for a year, then start him at NT in 2010, move Ratliff to RDE and Igor to LDE. Re-sign Hatcher as a nickel/dime package inside pass rusher and let Spears walk (I'm actually higher on him than most, but like this line-up better).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2687576 said:
If he's there in Rd 3, I'd take him, let him develop as a back-up for a year, then start him at NT in 2010, move Ratliff to RDE and Igor to LDE. Re-sign Hatcher as a nickel/dime package inside pass rusher and let Spears walk (I'm actually higher on him than most, but like this line-up better).

I'd rather draft Gilbert let spears walk and keep Ratliff at NT.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2687597 said:
I'd rather draft Gilbert let spears walk and keep Ratliff at NT.

JMO, Jarron Gilbert won't make it to #51, let alone our 3rd round pick. Too athletic (and productive) and too many teams switching or currently running a 3-4.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2687601 said:
JMO, Jarron Gilbert won't make it to #51, let alone our 3rd round pick. Too athletic (and productive) and too many teams switching or currently running a 3-4.

I don't mind us taking him in the 2nd round if he's there in the 3rd and we draft him thats even better. I just picked him there in the 3rd because of his rank on nfldraftscout.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2687604 said:
I don't mind us taking him in the 2nd round if he's there in the 3rd and we draft him thats even better. I just picked him there in the 3rd because of his rank on nfldraftscout.

I think he has a better chance of going in rd 1 then being there for our 2nd.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2687112 said:
It's not a unanimous decision that he is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I can provide multiple sources that have him as a 5th or 6th rounder as well.

Also, how do you know he is being touted as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if your still waiting on the final evals from NFL scouts.
Like most, hearing it from the likes of Mayock, McShay, Kiper, various draft sites, etc.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2687526 said:
Ron Brace

6'3, 326 pounds | Boston College | Defensive tackle

Strengths: Brace possesses the size of a two-gap plugger, but the quickness to of a one-gap tackle. He uses that size and quickness to stuff the run nicely. He has a powerful base and is hard to move around. Because of that, running backs have to adjust where they're going or run right into Brace. Strong against the double team. During the 2008 season, Brace would regularly take up two blockers so teammate B.J. Raji could burst into the backfield. Uses his power to collapse the interior of the pocket. Good agility, which allows him to slide down the line really well.

Weaknesses: Not especially productive. Had only 27 tackles as a senior, which is just over two a game. Really not a factor rushing the pass unless he can push a blocker back or gets an open lane. Some questions about his durability due to recurring back ailment in 2008. Pursuit and effort are lacking at times. Doesn't always fight hard to get through double teams. Inconsistent with his technique. Will get too upright at times negating his his strength.

Final word: Brace is a top run-stopping tackle who was often overshadowed by Raji. He may not be much of a pass rusher, but his ability against the run warrants such a high grade. A second-team All ACC member in 2008 and honorable mention in 2007. Has some versatility because he's a multi-technique tackle.

Round projection: 2

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=1

Ron Brace Scouting Report Written by Rob Tribbett Mar 07, 2009 at 07:48 PM
ronbrace.jpg

Credit: Boston College Athletics

Boston College DT Ron Brace Scouting Report
Height: 6-3, Weight: 334, 40 Yard Dash: 5.47​

Strengths: Ideal NFL size and bulk...strong lower body, really an anchor versus the run...decent first step for a man his size...NFL ready run stuffer right now...can deliver the big hit when he gets in close...shows good awareness...has the ability to take on multiple defenders...could be a 3-4 NT...teamed with B.J. Raji to shut down opposing rushing offenses...

Weaknesses: Needs to work on his technique, can sometimes get too high...needs to improve his conditioning and motor...played next to the top defensive tackle in the draft so was never given the full attention of the offense...not a pass rushing threat...will struggle to pursue laterally...

Overall: Ron Brace may never put up big numbers in the NFL, but he is the type of player that can really anchor a top defense. His strength at the point of attack and massive size will be a huge asset and could lead to him being selected to play the nose in a 3-4 scheme. He also would be a solid player at the nose in a 4-3 scheme. He was productive at BC getting into the backfield (11 TFL as a senior) but there is some concern his value was inflated because of B.J. Raji. However, his potential and size are too hard to ignore and he represents a great value in the second round or later. Teams must convince themselves that his injury history wit his back, as well as his conditioning, are non factors.

fair enough, but the guy's 10-yard split is horrible, it's 1.88, compare that to Sammie Lee Hill's 1.72, or Dorell Scott's 1.68, or Chris Baker's 1.7, who's only 5lbs lighter

idk he's going to be able to keep up the attack when replacing Ratliff, which I want in his replacement

now if he were available in the 3rd, or 4th round (where the Cards picked Gabe Watson), I would have no problem drafting him, the value is there, not at our 1st pick though

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I like Brace but we should keep Rat at NT and a 2nd round pick is too high for a rest for Rat. We can fill that late in the draft.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2687571 said:
His only move is the bull rush...Yeah that's going to work at the next level.....:rolleyes:
Lol...I'm not looking for Brace to be our pass-rusher; just to stack the middle, stop the run, and occupy blockers to free-up Ware, Rat, Spencer, James, etc. Those guys will be the pass-rushers...

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2687634 said:
I like Brace but we should keep Rat at NT and a 2nd round pick is too high for a rest for Rat. We can fill that late in the draft.

I would draft Brace to be the starter at NT, not to give Rat a rest. Rat slides to Spears spot and Igor occupies the other end. Spears backs-up both end spots and NT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
He's not going to fall to the 3rd round and he's not going to start over Ratliff.

I doubt we'll take him. The 2nd round is probably OL, SS, or WR depending upon the value that is there.