Ron Brace

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5mics;2687641 said:
Lol...I'm not looking for Brace to be our pass-rusher; just to stack the middle, stop the run, and occupy blockers to free-up Ware, Rat, Spencer, James, etc. Those guys will be the pass-rushers...

This is a pass happy league and we have a 1 gap systems teams just don't run on first and 2nd downs then pass on thirds. He's virtually useless the idea or notion of this guy is ludicrous because the only role I seem him playing is short yardage/goal line and thats really pointless.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2687768 said:
He's not going to fall to the 3rd round and he's not going to start over Ratliff.

I doubt we'll take him. The 2nd round is probably OL, SS, or WR depending upon the value that is there.

idk, I can see him taking a slide on draft day

he wasn't impressive in college

or at the Senior Bowl (unless you consider chasing a busted play to be impressive)

or at the Combine (unbelievably lethargic)

combine all that w/ a potential back-problem, and I see him taking a Gabe Watson dip to the 4th round

I agree though that if he's a 2nd rounder, we probably don't take him anyways

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2687807 said:
idk, I can see him taking a slide on draft day

he wasn't impressive in college

or at the Senior Bowl (unless you consider chasing a busted play to be impressive)

or at the Combine (unbelievably lethargic)

combine all that w/ a potential back-problem, and I see him taking a Gabe Watson dip to the 4th round

I agree though that if he's a 2nd rounder, we probably don't take him anyways

When you put it that way there is just so much to be excited about. I now see where it all comes from..........:D

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2687629 said:
fair enough, but the guy's 10-yard split is horrible, it's 1.88, compare that to Sammie Lee Hill's 1.72, or Dorell Scott's 1.68, or Chris Baker's 1.7, who's only 5lbs lighter

idk he's going to be able to keep up the attack when replacing Ratliff, which I want in his replacement

now if he were available in the 3rd, or 4th round (where the Cards picked Gabe Watson), I would have no problem drafting him, the value is there, not at our 1st pick though
To be honest I think Miami takes him with one of their 2nd rders. I like him as our 2nd rder but if some of the premier safeties are on the board or if someone drops I can see us going the other way.

With any great defense the very first thing you must do is stop the run. This alone is worth taking him with our top pick because it allows our backers to make plays. Then once the opposing team is in long yardage, we let the dogs loose. Our rotation would be sick. He will never get the stats but what he will do is allow the defense to get the stats like #1 against the run and ultimately #1 overall.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2688606 said:
I'd rather have Chris Baker from Hampton...

I'd rather have Hill from Stillman. Perfect Project Pick: Huge upside, High Character guy.

No more idiots or underachievers.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2687780 said:
This is a pass happy league and we have a 1 gap systems teams just don't run on first and 2nd downs then pass on thirds. He's virtually useless the idea or notion of this guy is ludicrous because the only role I seem him playing is short yardage/goal line and thats really pointless.
Really? So the core value of stopping the run first and foremost is no longer true in the NFL? It may be a pass-happy league right now, BUT who are the successful teams; teams that make the playoffs? Let's look at this past season's playoff teams offense-wise...

1. Colts Run - ranked 31st; Pass - ranked 5th
2. Eagles Run - 22nd; Pass - 6th
3. Cardinals Run - 32nd; Pass - 2nd
4. Titans Run - 7th; Pass - 27th
5. Chargers Run - 20th; Pass - 7th
6. Dolphins Run - 11th; Pass - 10th
7. Steelers Run - 23rd; Pass -17th
8. Panthers Run - 3rd; Pass - 19th
9. Falcons Run - 2nd; Pass - 14th
10. Giants Run - 1st; Pass - 18th
11. Vikings Run - 5th; Pass - 25th
12. Ravens Run - 4th; Pass - 28th

Look at last season's playoff teams. 6 of the 12 playoff teams were ranked in the top ten rushing-wise; 5 of the 12 were ranked in the top ten passing-wise. It's even between the "run" teams & the "pass" teams; So please don't make it seems like stopping the run is NOT important; it's just as every bit as important as generating heat on the QB. You may not like Brace as a prospect but your idea of a run-stuffing NT who can control the middle being "useless" in today's NFL is just plain wrong, imo.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2687112 said:
It's not a unanimous decision that he is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I can provide multiple sources that have him as a 5th or 6th rounder as well.

Also, how do you know he is being touted as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if your still waiting on the final evals from NFL scouts.
Yup, you're right, it's not unanimous about Brace being a 2nd-3rd rounder; I don't think I ever stated that it was the case. Some have him rated lower, but that can be said with most prospects like Beckwith, who you currently have as a 2nd rounder. Some have him rated lower as well.....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5mics;2688711 said:
Really? So the core value of stopping the run first and foremost is no longer true in the NFL? It may be a pass-happy league right now, BUT who are the successful teams; teams that make the playoffs? Let's look at this past season's playoff teams offense-wise...

1. Colts Run - ranked 31st; Pass - ranked 5th
2. Eagles Run - 22nd; Pass - 6th
3. Cardinals Run - 32nd; Pass - 2nd
4. Titans Run - 7th; Pass - 27th
5. Chargers Run - 20th; Pass - 7th
6. Dolphins Run - 11th; Pass - 10th
7. Steelers Run - 23rd; Pass -17th
8. Panthers Run - 3rd; Pass - 19th
9. Falcons Run - 2nd; Pass - 14th
10. Giants Run - 1st; Pass - 18th
11. Vikings Run - 5th; Pass - 25th
12. Ravens Run - 4th; Pass - 28th

Look at last season's playoff teams. 6 of the 12 playoff teams were ranked in the top ten rushing-wise; 5 of the 12 were ranked in the top ten passing-wise. It's even between the "run" teams & the "pass" teams; So please don't make it seems like stopping the run is NOT important; it's just as every bit as important as generating heat on the QB. You may not like Brace as a prospect but your idea of a run-stuffing NT who can control the middle being "useless" in today's NFL is just plain wrong, imo.

I don't understand what your stats are trying to prove.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2688972 said:
I don't understand what your stats are trying to prove.

I'm just saying that successful teams (ones that make the playoffs) still employ the running game as their first option. So teams still need to stop the run first and foremost which is why I think we need a big, blocker-occupying, run-stuffing clogger in the middle of our D. I understand that the league is a pass-happy league but half the teams that made the playoffs utilize the running game as their main weapon.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2687461 said:
I would like for us to take Brace, but definately not in the 2nd. I think a lot of the people knocking him are over looking the fact that in 07' BJ Raji didn't play due to his grades and Brace put of almost identical numbers. On top of that Boston College ranked 2nd in the nation vs the run, allowing 75.5 yards per game vs the 91.21 yards per game this year.

Their numbers weren't even close.