Ron Brace

slotshot

Reaction score
Many have included this guy in possible Cowboys draft plans in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I just finshed watching a bit of his pro-day today on NFLN. He was less than inspiring from all accounts, although he couldn't help but be compared to the far superior Raji also present.

Basically, this guy is a wide-load run stuffer. Is that what we need/want? I may very much be mistaken, but I seem to recall the 3-4 we run having the NT get some penetration as well (although Ratliff sets a standard here that would be hard to follow as well). Would Brace actually interest our staff?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Ron Brace for life! and yes he would be a great back up for J-Rat

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
apparently there's interest

but we don't need him, and he definitely wouldn't warrant being taken in the 2nd

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2687032 said:
what chu talking bout Bob?

just making sure you don't cream your pants

which you tend to do when they mention Ron Brace:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

plus you're from New York, so I'm going to call you Anthony from now on, or do you prefer Tony?:p: :p: :p: :p:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2687035 said:
just making sure you don't cream your pants

which you tend to do when they mention Ron Brace:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

plus you're from New York, so I'm going to call you Anthony from now on, or do you prefer Tony?:p: :p: :p: :p:
actually my real name is Rob so you can call me that. I'm also not even Italian. OMG!

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ok Bob, I agree that he isn't worthy of a 2nd rounder, but in the 3rd he could have great value. a 3rd round value is basically backing up a starter and contributing on plays. IMO we need a run stuffer to help spell Rat and obviously help out the run game. The sole purpose for a 3-4 NT is to take on blockers to free up the two ILB's. He does that.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2687053 said:
Ok Bob, I agree that he isn't worthy of a 2nd rounder, but in the 3rd he could have great value. a 3rd round value is basically backing up a starter and contributing on plays. IMO we need a run stuffer to help spell Rat and obviously help out the run game. The sole purpose for a 3-4 NT is to take on blockers to free up the two ILB's. He does that.
SHUT EM DOWN SLATE!

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score

He was consistently neutralized by a single blocker on the college level. Teams are more likely to waste two blockers on Ratliff then they would Brace.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

if we only need Brace for like 10 plays a game, why take him so high?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
IMO the 3rd round is still too early for a one dimensional backup. There will be playmakers still on the board in the 3rd.

Monstrous run stuffers will be there later, even in FA. Siavii is 320, I'm sure he can put on another 10-20 lbs and be the "blocker magnet" if needed.

Sammie Lee Hill is as big (6'4 330) and about as stout against the run, with the added ability to rush the passer (albeit at a lower level of competition). But this kid will be there after the 3rd. There is also a young very bright guy from Miami w/athleticism for his size, Antonio Dixon 6'3 238. He may not even be drafted.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2687076 said:
IMO the 3rd round is still too early for a one dimensional backup. There will be playmakers still on the board in the 3rd.

Monstrous run stuffers will be there later, even in FA. Siavii is 320, I'm sure he can put on another 10-20 lbs and be the "blocker magnet" if needed.

Sammie Lee Hill is as big (6'4 330) and about as stout against the run, with the added ability to rush the passer (albeit at a lower level of competition). But this kid will be there after the 3rd. There is also a young very bright guy from Miami w/athleticism for his size, Antonio Dixon 6'3 238. He may not even be drafted.

Exactly, it's not like at any point in his career Brace dominated a game or changed a series. He was a big body who occupied space but at that, he did it poorly. Teams never changed blocking schemes for him.

If you want a fat guy to take up space and give Ratliff a rest you can pull the trigger on one of the guys you mentioned much later or give my Uncle Pete a call.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
slotshot;2687015 said:
Many have included this guy in possible Cowboys draft plans in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I just finshed watching a bit of his pro-day today on NFLN. He was less than inspiring from all accounts, although he couldn't help but be compared to the far superior Raji also present.

Basically, this guy is a wide-load run stuffer. Is that what we need/want? I may very much be mistaken, but I seem to recall the 3-4 we run having the NT get some penetration as well (although Ratliff sets a standard here that would be hard to follow as well). Would Brace actually interest our staff?
I'm all for him w/ our 2nd! I value a mammoth run-stuffer who'll occupy multiple blockers in the middle thus, freeing up DWare, Rat, Spencer, James to pressure the QB. Plus, our division likes to mash w/ the run. Brace is not a sexy-pick BUT he's not a JAG either, he's a talented big guy; I'll wait to see what NFL scouts say after the final evals are done so he's my choice right now. I'm more interested in maximizing our pass-rushers talents and shutting down our divisional foes' run game; bring on Brace!

SDogo

Reaction score
5mics;2687089 said:
I'm all for him w/ our 2nd! I value a mammoth run-stuffer who'll occupy multiple blockers in the middle thus, freeing up DWare, Rat, Spencer, James to pressure the QB. Plus, our division likes to mash w/ the run. Brace is not a sexy-pick BUT he's not a JAG either. I'm more interested in maximizing our pass-rushers talents and shutting down our divisional foes' run game. Bring on Brace!

He does not occupy multiple blockers. It was the knock on him his whole college career. Grab a few BC games a check it out but be prepared to search hard because the guy vanished for games at a time. With his size and playing next to Raji he should of been a nightmare for opposing Offensive Lineman. Instead, they knew they could take the play off and just occupy him.

Only "phone booth" quickness. … Requires a free lane to close on the quarterback and isn't going to provide significant interior pass rush. … Marginal effort and ability in pursuit. … Flanked by a better prospect in Raji and often faces only one blocker. … Struggled with a recurring back injury in 2008. … Concern over back injury only heightened considering his heavy build and potential to allow his weight to get out of control.

Not a sack artist and repertoire of pass rush moves is limited...Does not always play with proper leverage...Still needs to use his hands better...Will get hung up on blocks...Conditioning and stamina might be issues...Has an inconsistent motor...Didn't face many double teams.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2687094 said:
He does not occupy multiple blockers. It was the knock on him his whole college career. Grab a few BC games a check it out but be prepared to search hard because the guy vanished for games at a time. With his size and playing next to Raji he should of been a nightmare for opposing Offensive Lineman. Instead, they knew they could take the play off and just occupy him.
Some players bloom late? Why is he then being touted as a 2nd-3rd rounder instead of a late/UDFA if he was just a JAG? I'm open to changing my mind on him, but I want to hear the "final" evals from NFL scouts especially our guys. For now though, he's my guy.