Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched it as a kid in what '77?

I was later disappointed to learn the author fabricated or plagiarized elements to create the story.

yimyammer

Reaction score
loved the original, hope the remake lives up to or exceeds it

FYI-there's a show called Underground about that era that is really good

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
I had just watched the original for the 1st time a couple years ago, kept puttin it off for some reason..But now I cant wait for this remake, even though remakes are usually crap, I have hopes otherwise....

FloridaRob

Reaction score
yea, the first was a must see. back before HD, before big screen tvs- We watched that show on my 19 inch COLOR tv and thought the picture was great.

Favorite line from that movie was Chicken George telling his wife whom he had not seen in years "I sees ya wit my hart" -I use that line with my wife to this day.

Classic Movie-Some great actors-Ben Vereen, Chuck Connors, Sandy Duncan, Ed Asner and so many others.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I hear ya, its disgusting that slavery existed in this country for 200 years, what a horrific existence for those people with literally no place to run.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't learn about it or should avoid it. It's part of our history. It's bad enough the school systems avoid teaching kids that we massacred the Native Americans. Kids think our history is full of sunshine and hugs.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Doesn't mean we shouldn't learn about it or should avoid it. It's part of our history. It's bad enough the school systems avoid teaching kids that we massacred the Native Americans. Kids think our history is full of sunshine and hugs.

I wasn't suggesting that, I'll be watching, I love the original and hope this one can measure up to it

I was merely sympathizing with the depressing aspect of the subject

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't suggesting that, I'll be watching, I love the original and hope this one can measure up to it

I was merely sympathizing with the depressing aspect of the subject

Unfortunately slavery has been part of man-kind since the beginning. Virtually every culture has been involved either enslaving or being enslaved– And some times experiencing both within a relatively short period of time.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

We don't even teach kids about the Korean/Vietnam Wars and the McCarthy era witch hunt, US Japanese citizens being hauled into prison camps during WWII, etc.; wonder why?o_O US education picks and chooses its revisionist history.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I watched it as a kid in what '77?

I was later disappointed to learn the author fabricated or plagiarized elements to create the story.

If anything, the series was "softened up" for mainstream audiences. I agree. Or are you downplaying historical events over a plot hole? :facepalm: There is a reason the US is still the wealthiest country in the world; 200 years of free labor leading into the Industrial Revolution.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It has existed around the world, not just here.

yes, but unless I'm mistaken, we were the last of the major powers around the world to end the practice. Brittian ended it in 1833 (continued in territories longer though), France ended it in 1794 (Napolean reintroduced it in 1802, but it ended again in 1848). Spain ended the practice domestically in 1811, Russia abolished slavery in 1861 and Germany ended it in 1807 (obviously rose again in WW2).

And unless I'm mistaken, we're the only country that needed a war to end the practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.