Roots on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

yimyammer

Reaction score
yes, but unless I'm mistaken, we were the last of the major powers around the world to end the practice. Brittian ended it in 1833 (continued in territories longer though), France ended it in 1794 (Napolean reintroduced it in 1802, but it ended again in 1848). Spain ended the practice domestically in 1811, Russia abolished slavery in 1861 and Germany ended it in 1807 (obviously rose again in WW2).

And unless I'm mistaken, we're the only country that needed a war to end the practice.

Also ironic/hypocritical considering the Declaration of Independence included the following:

We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness; ...

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
yes, but unless I'm mistaken, we were the last of the major powers around the world to end the practice. Brittian ended it in 1833 (continued in territories longer though), France ended it in 1794 (Napolean reintroduced it in 1802, but it ended again in 1848). Spain ended the practice domestically in 1811, Russia abolished slavery in 1861 and Germany ended it in 1807 (obviously rose again in WW2).

And unless I'm mistaken, we're the only country that needed a war to end the practice.

It ended.May have taken longer, but it ended. Thank God. Love ya Man!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Interesting point.

I don't think I would call the US a world power prior to the CW, but it's neither here nor there I guess.

I'll throw something at the wall here and say the southern US was blessed/cursed with such an abundance of agricultural land and a relatively lack of enough people/laborers to take care of those lands... Well, kicking & screaming was the result and the war was the only way to solve it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Interesting point.

I don't think I would call the US a world power prior to the CW, but it's neither here nor there I guess.

I'll throw something at the wall here and say the southern US was blessed/cursed with such an abundance of agricultural land and a relatively lack of enough people/laborers to take care of those lands... Well, kicking & screaming was the result and the war was the only way to solve it.

That doesn't explain the Jim Crow era that followed the ending of slavery? It was cultural and economical (in the North as well, just to a lesser extent). Lincoln himself never wanted to abolish slavery for moral reasons, only to preserve the union. His initial plan was for all freed slaves to physically walk to Mexico.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinnslaem10.html
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v13/v13n5p-4_morgan.html

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That doesn't explain the Jim Crow era that followed the ending of slavery? It was cultural and economical (in the North as well, just to a lesser extent). Lincoln himself never wanted to abolish slavery for moral reasons, only to preserve the union. His initial plan was for all freed slaves to physically walk to Mexico.

Right or wrong... people are afraid of the unknown and they're afraid of those that do not resemble them.

It's not right, but it is how it is.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

yea, when people argue that while slavery was wrong, war was not the answer and it would have ended eventually anyway, I tend to point out the 100 years or so of Jim Crow laws that followed...100 years...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're scared of Asian Americans?:eek::D I agree about fearing the unknown, but generally exposure/insight will lower one's reluctance/fear of mixing w/those who don't look like you or have to be raised to not to lead w/fear, etc.

Oh I agree with your take... But there's still a large section of society (pick the race) that's scared/intimidated by anyone of any other race... And then you have 18th & 19th century people that aren't that far removed from folks that believed the earth was flat.

Again, I'm not saying they were right in doing so, but as a marketer I've had to learn the hard lesson that we're emotional creatures first and cerebral creatures second–And it takes a lot to get over emotional feelings that trigger fear/intimidation.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Oh I agree with your take... But there's still a large section of society (pick the race) that's scared/intimidated by anyone of any other race... And then you have 18th & 19th century people that aren't that far removed from folks that believed the earth was flat.

Again, I'm not saying they were right in doing so, but as a marketer I've had to learn the hard lesson that we're emotional creatures first and cerebral creatures second–And it takes a lot to get over emotional feelings that trigger fear/intimidation.

Good points, but the South/rural states have been draggin their feet a little too long and why we have combover in the position he is today. It never left, though it may have decreased to an extent in more liberal cities and w/specific citizens in conservative areas, etc. But that element of US culture is clear as day and it was just simmering under the surface (racism) waiting for an excuse to be "proud" again, etc. Not universally of course, but ALOT more than we portray to other countries while being labeled, "the land of opportunity".

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that element of US culture is clear as day and it was just simmering under the surface (racism) waiting for an excuse to be "proud" again, etc.

You're probably right. I think there are segments in every race that are destined to fly that flag again. Sometimes I think it makes things worse by trying to spread political correctness over the top of everything.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You're probably right. I think there are segments in every race that are destined to fly that flag again. Sometimes I think it makes things worse by trying to spread political correctness over the top of everything.

There is a huge difference bw nationalism (similar to the aftermath of 9/11) and proud racism.

PC is a phase, it will come and go. That's why mainstream comedy is so terrible right now. Shows like Archer and Sunny in Philadelphia get their liberal point across while being EXTREMELY none-PC. So you can still find that middle ground. The 90s had a golden age of comedy due to the lack of PC w/shows like Married with Children, In Living Color, Martin, The Simpsons/same w shows like All in the Family-The Jeffersons in the past. Sometimes you have to be non-PC to get your point across. If your point is bigoted and ignorant (not yours), then so be it; segments you referenced in above post, etc.

But being PC is too subjective and should be left out of comedy all together. Culturally, terms change like the wind, but the heart of the person remains the same. So if someone were PC or not, I think their character and actions would be on display just based on their perspectives on various social issues, etc. and that is when you can easily disregard the lack of PC terms bc you know that individual's perspective is on track w/common decency, etc.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
If anything, the series was "softened up" for mainstream audiences. I agree. Or are you downplaying historical events over a plot hole? :facepalm: There is a reason the US is still the wealthiest country in the world; 200 years of free labor leading into the Industrial Revolution.

If slavery made a country rich, then there are 2.1 million slaves in Africa today that should prove this theory. I am not aware of any African country that compares in wealth to the US. It is s little known fact, but slavery is not a thing of the past.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If slavery made a country rich, then there are 2.1 million slaves in Africa today that should prove this theory. I am not aware of any African country that compares in wealth to the US. It is s little known fact, but slavery is not a thing of the past.

not that my response has much to do with the topic, but the largest reason by far for the wealth and power of the US was it's isolation from all it's "rivals." For centuries, Europe fought amongst themselves, finally at the end of WW2 it seems they are were more or less tired of pointless fights that lead to no changes in boarders or much of a tangible difference. The United States, Mexico and Canada have had very few conflicts and due to the size of the US and the abundance of natural resources, this outcome was more or less inevitable unless the south won the civil war which would have lead to more and more pointless wars.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Do the countries in Africa utilize slavery work in a monopolized fashion the way the US did via exports of tobacco/cotton/sugarcane, etc. and the materials to provide the north via the Ind. Rev to provide Europe and other countries? Apples and Oranges. Long standing colonialism ripped Africa apart? Apartheid in South Africa is decades old? One doesn't minimize the other. There are some parts of Africa that aren't the 3rd party wasteland that is portrayed on TV. But it is obviously overly prevalent in many other countries and we have no trouble selling arms;)

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
In most cases, the slavery was more severe in other countries. The Romans used their deaths for entertainment for the crowds.

Murder is murder. Smart slaves were murdered and bigger slaves were bred. Literacy was illegal amongst slaves. Big slaves were bred to have ancestors dominate the NFL/NBA;)

jnday

Reaction score
Murder is murder. Smart slaves were murdered and bigger slaves were bred. Literacy was illegal amongst slaves. Big slaves were bred to have ancestors dominate the NFL/NBA;)
Making that point got Jimmy the Greek fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.