Twitter: Ross: Teams with legit QB concerns

Turk

Reaction score
Nope. The Cowboys already have 11 picks.

They have the quantity. Now they need quality. To get quality, stay at 10 and get the best player. I'm hoping for Farley myself.
TO be blunt you miss the point: we need HIGHER picks if we are going to seriously upgrade. 4-7 rd picks rarely pan out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Carr already got paid after his rookie contract. It could be argued that there are more question marks surrounding Prescott as he played on the tag and is now coming off a serious leg injury without a contract in place.

Carr got paid after three years. The only question with Dak is the injury. His play has improved every year, he’s a much better QB than Derek Carr. Carr had Amari and the Raiders first pick last April was a WR who was taken ahead of Lamb.

Reaction score
TO be blunt you miss the point: we need HIGHER picks if we are going to seriously upgrade. 4-7 rd picks rarely pan out.
Thats why if anything they should think about trading up, not down. Not in the first round, but to move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they are guys they like

HanD

Reaction score
A) No team is trading two number ones for a QB who can't even put full weight on his foot 15 weeks after a compound fracture and dislocation. Plus, he won't even be able to pass a physical before the draft. Maybe he will be jogging by the draft. He might not even be able to throw until the summer.

he can't put weight on his foot? really?

his scheduled recovery time was 6 months on the long end. that's before the draft and he's been reported to be ahead of time.

not able to throw until the summer? based on what? @DuncanIso thinking he needs to learn how to walk again?

all pure speculation and terrible speculation at that.....

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Grab Ian Book in the late rounds and see if he can develop and become trade bait or, if Dak cannot recover, we got a guy. Book doesn't have the measurables of the top 10 guys but I think he has the intangibles like Brees or Wilson.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Funny seeing Miami on the list when they just got through using a top 5 pick on Tua last April. There were several knuckleheads on this board wanting us to trade the farm to move up and get him. Drew Lock was another QB some on here were raving about. This board isn’t exactly loaded with QB gurus. lol They continue to spin how easy it is to find a QB these days...right!
:laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Miami is probably wishing they kept Tannehill. Don’t think they expected Fitzpatrick to outplay Tua. I’m always skeptical of these college QBs who are surrounded by an enormous amount of talent. It seems like Alabama wins the national championship every year. They’re certainly always in the running. It’s not like their QBs face a whole lot of adversity.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
These are the top offensive players who could go before Dallas picks:

QBs - Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance (some team is going to fall in love with him especially with no Combine this year). (NY Jets, Jaguars, Bears, Steelers, Dolphins (yes, you read it right), Falcons, Lions, Panthers - all could make a play for one of these quarterbacks.)
WR - Smith and Chase (Philly and Miami)
OT - Sewell (Dolphins, Bengals or any other team if he slips).

That leaves one of the top defensive prospects (Farley, Surtain and Parsons) available to us.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Miami is probably wishing they kept Tannehill. Don’t think they expected Fitzpatrick to outplay Tua. I’m always skeptical of these college QBs who are surrounded by an enormous amount of talent. It seems like Alabama wins the national championship every year. They’re certainly always in the running. It’s not like they’re QBs face a whole lot of adversity.
I can't lie. I was big on Tua.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can't lie. I was big on Tua.

I was one of the skeptics but he could still develop into a good QB. He did have a winning QB record this season and a couple of 300 yard games. Tua was drafted one spot ahead of Herbert who had a terrific rookie season for the Chargers. Drafting QBs continues to be a crapshoot but some here seem to think drafting good ones is getting easier and easier. It’s not!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was great during the 60s and 70s. We’ve had some real good first round picks under Jerry.
Mostly joking but we've had a lot of terrible picks too. Reaches...injuries...that other teams passed on.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
QB is the least of this team's concern.

But, keep beating a dead horse.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mostly joking but we've had a lot of terrible picks too. Reaches...injuries...that other teams passed on.

Under Jerry most of our bad picks were in the second round going after injured and troubled players who fell. The Cowboys had a first round grade on some of these players and gambled. We also wasted 3 second round picks on TEs.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, all top defenders have question marks. Really like Farley, but hoping a team falls in love with an offensive player so we can move back.
Nope. Stay put at #10 and use it for CB Caleb Farley if he is there. If he's gone, go ahead and trade down.

joseephuss

Reaction score
My list:

CHI - Yes, but they could be stuck w/ Mitch 1 more yr

His 4 year rookie contract is completed. The Bears did not pick up hist 5th year option. They would have to sign him or tag him(not likely) in order to retain his services. Would he take a one year deal to stay with the Bears? I doubt it and I doubt they sign him to a long term deal. Looks like they are stuck with Nick Foles for one more year while trying to find the long term solution.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
he can't put weight on his foot? really?
his scheduled recovery time was 6 months on the long end. that's before the draft and he's been reported to be ahead of time.
not able to throw until the summer? based on what? @DuncanIso thinking he needs to learn how to walk again?
all pure speculation and terrible speculation at that.....

Last report a week ago had him in the pool doing rehab because either they did not want him to put full weight on his foot or he couldn't put full weight on his foot. He is still on crutches from the last we heard. In this day of social media overload, we have yet to see any Dak rehab videos. I am guessing his agent said no video at all. I could be wrong and Dak may show a video tomorrow of him jogging.

It is speculation on my part from what little any of us have seen or heard. I seriously doubt he will be able to pass a physical at the beginning of FA in mid March. I would not bet money that Dak will be able to pass an NFL physical roughly a month later before the draft. Those are the two most important dates for team building and player signings. The healthy and bargain QBs will be picked over first by the league when FA begins. Maybe 8 teams will be drafting a QB in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. Any team drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 probably has no interest in any high priced FA QBs left. That leaves few teams looking for a QB by the time Dak is healthy. And none of them left are spending $40M on a QB.

Are the Cowboys getting actual health reports from Dak's doctors? Don't know how that works and the privacy laws and the agents and contracts.

Swagger

Reaction score
We going to do the same garbage time, "he didn't beat anyone good" nonsense that we do with Dak? No? Ok then.

He was pedestrian against every competent defense passing defense they played.
Prescott has had a superior team to Watson over the past 4 years and let's face it - Watson arguably endured even weaker coaching.
Realistically Watson couldn't have done much more especially this season given what's around him.
Have you watched the Texans O-Line over the past 4 years?
Did you watch the Texans offense the two years before Watson took over as QB?
In 2014 the Cowboys had the second highest performing QB during the regular season so the offense wasn't exactly struggling before Prescott joined and please don't even use 2015 given the washed up nonsense that played under centre with the exception of #9.

I'm not Watson's biggest fan but he's a very good QB.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Steelers are going to try to rehabilitate Haskins. Low risk/possible high reward contract with Ben likely to play one more season.

Haskins has talent but he's lazy (doesn't put in the work) and immature. Either he gets his wake up call or he'll be out of the NFL soon.
I hope they try but they’re dumb for doing it.