Roster situation and what we could do

Sandyf

Reaction score
Two weeks before the draft and mocks galore. Also free agency grades and how it helps each team. Dallas is no different in conducting interviews via media like Zoom and you can bet the farm a lot of those "leaked" interviews are nothing more than smoke screens. Anyway here is my take in where we sit and what we might do at each position.

QB - Dak, Rush, Thorson - have to believe Dallas will get a deal done with Dak sometime over the next few months. Could we draft one, yes although I believe it won't happen until the 7th although most likely an UDFA. Signing a vet is probably on the table but only at a very reduced cost.

RB - Zeke, Pollard, Chunn - could see them signing a couple of UDFA guys to compete with Chunn although doubt we draft a guy.

FB - Olawaze - most likely sign someone as UDFA to compete although just camp fodder

TE - Jarwin, Bell, Schultz, Hikutini - probably an UDFA to sign although if someone like Kmet is on the board and the BPA of the board over anyone else on our board, wouldn't be surprised to see them take him

WR - Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith, Jones, Johnson, Bryant - last 3 of this group have little to no chance, Austin still out there but don't see us resigning him, definitely could see us drafting one in the first 4 rounds especially if we stick to our board but don't think it is going to be a must thing.

OT - Smith, Collins, Knight, Miller, Hyatt - actually would be surprised if we drafted an OT but taking an UDFA for camp is a definitely happening

OG/OC - Martin, Williams, McGovern, Looney, Redmond, Wichman - seems to be set although I could see us taking an OG/OC in the area of 4th or 5th rounds

ST - Ladouceur, Jones, Forbath, Zuerlein, Vizcaino - going to be interesting how the K shakes out and Jones will probably have competition from an UDFA

DE - Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks - know most fans and media believe we will draft a DE and suspect we will but unless that guy is heads and tails above anyone on the board it could easily be late 2nd day or 3rd day before we do

DT - McCoy, Poe, Hill, Woods, Hamilton, (Crawford) - I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take 2 in the draft and another 2 as UDFA. Sure McCoy and Poe seem to be the starters for now but they are going to be looking at their replacements right off the bat. I really do not believe that Hill or Woods in anyway are what the coaching staff wants and would be a bit of a surprise if either make the team. If the draft falls the way Dallas wants then we could see Brown or Kinlaw as our 1st round pick.

LB - Lee, Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Gifford, Covington, March - we could see all seven make the team if you look at what our ST coach likes, could we draft one, sure but don't expect it until day 3

CB - Awuzie, Brown, Lewis, Canaday, Goodwin, Burton, Westry, White - another spot where everyone believe it will be our 1st round guy or 2nd round guy but it will be interesting if we don't take one until the 3rd day of the draft which won't surprise me

S - Woods, Clinton-Dix, Wilson, Thompson - if you look at what we have on the roster, the only guy that is really a SS is Wilson. Thompson I see as a ST guy only. Don't think the coaching staff is sold on Woods so I expect this is another spot where we could actually draft 2 guys. If Delpit falls into the 2nd round like most expect, I could easily see Dallas moving up to get him. Sure his tackling needs help but that can be coached. He easily is the starting SS on day one.

How the draft plays out is anyone's guess but if Dallas can hit on 3 or 4 guys then it is a great draft. There is a proposal up to make the draft 10 rounds this year which will be great for fans, so I hope they go through with it.

For me if Dallas could get Brown or Kinlaw in 1st and then Delpit I would call it a great draft. Some combination of Brown DT, Kinlaw DT, Fotu DT, Delpit S, Dugger S, Chinn S, Biadasz OC, Hennessy OC, Kmet TE, Claypool TE/WR, Breeland TE, Lamb WR, Pittman WR, Mims WR, Jefferson WR, Hill WR, Diggs CB, Terrell CB, Hall CB, Dantzler CB, and Robinson II CB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mariah Carey called. She says your a "Dream Lover." -Keep dreaming.

Why do you say it is a dream, just an evaluation of the roster. Nothing wrong with this. There is not any outrageous scenarios. Some will agree, some will not. But more will agree with a few changes. Except the usual suspects that do not like anything at all.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Why do you say it is a dream, just an evaluation of the roster. Nothing wrong with this. There is not any outrageous scenarios. Some will agree, some will not. But more will agree with a few changes. Except the usual suspects that do not like anything at all.
I was mainly responding to his draft scenarios. His first and second draft combos. I would love them but.....

Flamma

Reaction score
I was mainly responding to his draft scenarios. His first and second draft combos. I would love them but.....

I fully expect WRs Jeudy, Lamb, and most likely Ruggs will not be there at 17. Nor will DTs Brown and Kinlaw. At best Chaisson and or CB Henderson. I think there's a chance Ruggs (or any of the top 3 WRs) might be there since WRs are deep and teams might not want to use a 1st rounder on one. But either way, I highly doubt Dallas is interested in upgrading the WR position as a whole. They're going to ignore the position as usual.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Two weeks before the draft and mocks galore. Also free agency grades and how it helps each team. Dallas is no different in conducting interviews via media like Zoom and you can bet the farm a lot of those "leaked" interviews are nothing more than smoke screens. Anyway here is my take in where we sit and what we might do at each position.

QB - Dak, Rush, Thorson - have to believe Dallas will get a deal done with Dak sometime over the next few months. Could we draft one, yes although I believe it won't happen until the 7th although most likely an UDFA. Signing a vet is probably on the table but only at a very reduced cost.

RB - Zeke, Pollard, Chunn - could see them signing a couple of UDFA guys to compete with Chunn although doubt we draft a guy.

FB - Olawaze - most likely sign someone as UDFA to compete although just camp fodder

TE - Jarwin, Bell, Schultz, Hikutini - probably an UDFA to sign although if someone like Kmet is on the board and the BPA of the board over anyone else on our board, wouldn't be surprised to see them take him

WR - Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith, Jones, Johnson, Bryant - last 3 of this group have little to no chance, Austin still out there but don't see us resigning him, definitely could see us drafting one in the first 4 rounds especially if we stick to our board but don't think it is going to be a must thing.

OT - Smith, Collins, Knight, Miller, Hyatt - actually would be surprised if we drafted an OT but taking an UDFA for camp is a definitely happening

OG/OC - Martin, Williams, McGovern, Looney, Redmond, Wichman - seems to be set although I could see us taking an OG/OC in the area of 4th or 5th rounds

ST - Ladouceur, Jones, Forbath, Zuerlein, Vizcaino - going to be interesting how the K shakes out and Jones will probably have competition from an UDFA

DE - Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks - know most fans and media believe we will draft a DE and suspect we will but unless that guy is heads and tails above anyone on the board it could easily be late 2nd day or 3rd day before we do

DT - McCoy, Poe, Hill, Woods, Hamilton, (Crawford) - I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take 2 in the draft and another 2 as UDFA. Sure McCoy and Poe seem to be the starters for now but they are going to be looking at their replacements right off the bat. I really do not believe that Hill or Woods in anyway are what the coaching staff wants and would be a bit of a surprise if either make the team. If the draft falls the way Dallas wants then we could see Brown or Kinlaw as our 1st round pick.

LB - Lee, Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Gifford, Covington, March - we could see all seven make the team if you look at what our ST coach likes, could we draft one, sure but don't expect it until day 3

CB - Awuzie, Brown, Lewis, Canaday, Goodwin, Burton, Westry, White - another spot where everyone believe it will be our 1st round guy or 2nd round guy but it will be interesting if we don't take one until the 3rd day of the draft which won't surprise me

S - Woods, Clinton-Dix, Wilson, Thompson - if you look at what we have on the roster, the only guy that is really a SS is Wilson. Thompson I see as a ST guy only. Don't think the coaching staff is sold on Woods so I expect this is another spot where we could actually draft 2 guys. If Delpit falls into the 2nd round like most expect, I could easily see Dallas moving up to get him. Sure his tackling needs help but that can be coached. He easily is the starting SS on day one.

How the draft plays out is anyone's guess but if Dallas can hit on 3 or 4 guys then it is a great draft. There is a proposal up to make the draft 10 rounds this year which will be great for fans, so I hope they go through with it.

For me if Dallas could get Brown or Kinlaw in 1st and then Delpit I would call it a great draft. Some combination of Brown DT, Kinlaw DT, Fotu DT, Delpit S, Dugger S, Chinn S, Biadasz OC, Hennessy OC, Kmet TE, Claypool TE/WR, Breeland TE, Lamb WR, Pittman WR, Mims WR, Jefferson WR, Hill WR, Diggs CB, Terrell CB, Hall CB, Dantzler CB, and Robinson II CB.

you basically said a lot of nothing.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully expect WRs Jeudy, Lamb, and most likely Ruggs will not be there at 17. Nor will DTs Brown and Kinlaw. At best Chaisson and or CB Henderson. I think there's a chance Ruggs (or any of the top 3 WRs) might be there since WRs are deep and teams might not want to use a 1st rounder on one. But either way, I highly doubt Dallas is interested in upgrading the WR position as a whole. They're going to ignore the position as usual.
You would certainly think, but if Ruggs is there, his speed and play-making ability may be too much for the FO to pass on. I'm still hoping the order is DT, DE, and Safety, then the rest, but who knows!

PS- Good post OP.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Good post, OP!

What they do at QB will tell us where they are in negotiations with Dak. I think they’ll draft one regardless, but if it’s Hurts in the third round then you know that they’re worried that Dak might actually not sign the tender.

They need a WR who can play in the slot and who preferably has some speed. I like Hightower from Boise State. I like Mims even better but he’s in that high 2nd round low 1st round range where I don’t think he’s obtainable.

It’d be nice to come out of this draft with a tight end and a center but those are the two weakest positions in the draft.

And yeah, I expect 3 of the 7 picks will be secondary players.

Flamma

Reaction score
You would certainly think, but if Ruggs is there, his speed and play-making ability may be too much for the FO to pass on. I'm still hoping the order is DT, DE, and Safety, then the rest, but who knows!

A couple things tell me they won't do this. Since 2016 they had to actually be forced to upgrade the position with Cooper. They seemed uninterested in Hopkins even though his cap hit over the next three years is pretty team friendly. And the Cards got him for what amounts to be a 2nd round pick.

The other thing is DK Metcalf. I am aware of the criticism on him, but he was a steal when he fell to us in the mid to late 2nd round and Dallas still picked Hill.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
And that's the reason some of these WR may fall. The draft is so deep at WR that teams are going to feel like they can get a quality WR in the later rounds. So they'll be drafting other positions in place of WR's.

But with that being said I don't think the top three WR will make it to 17.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that's the reason some of these WR may fall. The draft is so deep at WR that teams are going to feel like they can get a quality WR in the later rounds. So they'll be drafting other positions in place of WR's.

But with that being said I don't think the top three WR will make it to 17.
I actually hope you're correct. That will mean three more pics are filled by WR's, hopefully leaving Kinlaw for the Cowboys. I realize that's pretty much a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but why not dream at this point in the draft?

Sandyf

Reaction score
Could see any of us being right. We all know it will come down to how many QBs go in the top10 or top 15, if only 3 then most mocks are going to be pretty spot on but if somehow Love and/or Easley sneak in there, then many things are going to change. The other positions that could change things up are CB and OT, every team seems to need one or both so we could see some interesting trades that land 3 CBs in the top 15 as well as 5 or 6 of the OT. IMO, they will be some over drafting going on, but it always happens. And I'm fine with it if it pushes a DL guy down to us or even say a Lamb or Jurdy.

Verdict

Reaction score

I think you are basing what you think we will do based on need. Maybe they will approach the draft that way, but I sure hope they don’t. I hope they stick to their board and draft according to BPA.

Better to get a player at a position where we have zero need than reach for need and get zero out of the pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
A couple things tell me they won't do this. Since 2016 they had to actually be forced to upgrade the position with Cooper. They seemed uninterested in Hopkins even though his cap hit over the next three years is pretty team friendly. And the Cards got him for what amounts to be a 2nd round pick.

The other thing is DK Metcalf. I am aware of the criticism on him, but he was a steal when he fell to us in the mid to late 2nd round and Dallas still picked Hill.

The Cowboys absolutely forced the Taco pick and the Hill pick. Both appear to be huge busts.

This is not a new phenomenon. They forced a pick on Ebeneezer Ekuban, and several other DEs back in the day with very meager returns on investment.

When you force a pick based on need that’s generally what you are going to get. Pick the best player available to you (or trade back) and stop wasting picks.

ESisback

Reaction score

Well done! Appreciate the effort!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Agree that one of the WRs will be there, disagree that we can ignore the position in this draft,, there are going to be ample opportunities to draft WRs from the top down in this draft.