Roster situation and what we could do

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think you are basing what you think we will do based on need. Maybe they will approach the draft that way, but I sure hope they don’t. I hope they stick to their board and draft according to BPA.

Better to get a player at a position where we have zero need than reach for need and get zero out of the pick.

The only position the Cowboys have zero need at is running back (and qb depending on how you feel about Dak). Cowboys can easily go bpa in the first round.

jnday

Reaction score
A couple things tell me they won't do this. Since 2016 they had to actually be forced to upgrade the position with Cooper. They seemed uninterested in Hopkins even though his cap hit over the next three years is pretty team friendly. And the Cards got him for what amounts to be a 2nd round pick.

The other thing is DK Metcalf. I am aware of the criticism on him, but he was a steal when he fell to us in the mid to late 2nd round and Dallas still picked Hill.
Dallas could have drafted a starting safety too, but Marinelli influenced another pick that was a bust on the DL. Marinelli leaving is the best upgrade of the offseason.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
A couple things tell me they won't do this. Since 2016 they had to actually be forced to upgrade the position with Cooper. They seemed uninterested in Hopkins even though his cap hit over the next three years is pretty team friendly. And the Cards got him for what amounts to be a 2nd round pick.

The other thing is DK Metcalf. I am aware of the criticism on him, but he was a steal when he fell to us in the mid to late 2nd round and Dallas still picked Hill.

The Cardinals 2nd round pick is better than the Cowboys 2nd round pick so it would have taken more than that. Also Hopkins wants a new deal so you would either pay him more than what Cooper got or risk a holdout when you already have to worry about the qb contract.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The one thing that stands ou two me is about Hill not being on the team. They will not give up on a 2nd round pick that quick. Agree Woods may not stick, but Hill will be here.

Too early to give up on Hill *or* Woods. We have Woods for the next couple of years for basically nothing. Can't throw away value like that.

I think we were 6-4 with him, 2-4 without him. I think he made a difference, and that was with a lot of injury issues last year.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cardinals 2nd round pick is better than the Cowboys 2nd round pick so it would have taken more than that. Also Hopkins wants a new deal so you would either pay him more than what Cooper got or risk a holdout when you already have to worry about the qb contract.

You're absolutely right about the pick. But the reason I brought it up was because Hopkins is still under contract for 3 more years. Cap hits are 12.5, 13.5, and 13.9 Mil a year. If I gave up picks for him and he wanted a new deal he would rot on that bench for 3 years and get nothing.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dallas could have drafted a starting safety too, but Marinelli influenced another pick that was a bust on the DL. Marinelli leaving is the best upgrade of the offseason.

I know. Most of them were still there too. All because the draft was DL heavy. The safeties started going shortly after our pick. Safeties that might not be there in other drafts.