Roster situation and what we could do

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Two weeks before the draft and mocks galore. Also free agency grades and how it helps each team. Dallas is no different in conducting interviews via media like Zoom and you can bet the farm a lot of those "leaked" interviews are nothing more than smoke screens. Anyway here is my take in where we sit and what we might do at each position.

QB - Dak, Rush, Thorson - have to believe Dallas will get a deal done with Dak sometime over the next few months. Could we draft one, yes although I believe it won't happen until the 7th although most likely an UDFA. Signing a vet is probably on the table but only at a very reduced cost.

RB - Zeke, Pollard, Chunn - could see them signing a couple of UDFA guys to compete with Chunn although doubt we draft a guy.

FB - Olawaze - most likely sign someone as UDFA to compete although just camp fodder

TE - Jarwin, Bell, Schultz, Hikutini - probably an UDFA to sign although if someone like Kmet is on the board and the BPA of the board over anyone else on our board, wouldn't be surprised to see them take him

WR - Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith, Jones, Johnson, Bryant - last 3 of this group have little to no chance, Austin still out there but don't see us resigning him, definitely could see us drafting one in the first 4 rounds especially if we stick to our board but don't think it is going to be a must thing.

OT - Smith, Collins, Knight, Miller, Hyatt - actually would be surprised if we drafted an OT but taking an UDFA for camp is a definitely happening

OG/OC - Martin, Williams, McGovern, Looney, Redmond, Wichman - seems to be set although I could see us taking an OG/OC in the area of 4th or 5th rounds

ST - Ladouceur, Jones, Forbath, Zuerlein, Vizcaino - going to be interesting how the K shakes out and Jones will probably have competition from an UDFA

DE - Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks - know most fans and media believe we will draft a DE and suspect we will but unless that guy is heads and tails above anyone on the board it could easily be late 2nd day or 3rd day before we do

DT - McCoy, Poe, Hill, Woods, Hamilton, (Crawford) - I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take 2 in the draft and another 2 as UDFA. Sure McCoy and Poe seem to be the starters for now but they are going to be looking at their replacements right off the bat. I really do not believe that Hill or Woods in anyway are what the coaching staff wants and would be a bit of a surprise if either make the team. If the draft falls the way Dallas wants then we could see Brown or Kinlaw as our 1st round pick.

LB - Lee, Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Gifford, Covington, March - we could see all seven make the team if you look at what our ST coach likes, could we draft one, sure but don't expect it until day 3

CB - Awuzie, Brown, Lewis, Canaday, Goodwin, Burton, Westry, White - another spot where everyone believe it will be our 1st round guy or 2nd round guy but it will be interesting if we don't take one until the 3rd day of the draft which won't surprise me

S - Woods, Clinton-Dix, Wilson, Thompson - if you look at what we have on the roster, the only guy that is really a SS is Wilson. Thompson I see as a ST guy only. Don't think the coaching staff is sold on Woods so I expect this is another spot where we could actually draft 2 guys. If Delpit falls into the 2nd round like most expect, I could easily see Dallas moving up to get him. Sure his tackling needs help but that can be coached. He easily is the starting SS on day one.

How the draft plays out is anyone's guess but if Dallas can hit on 3 or 4 guys then it is a great draft. There is a proposal up to make the draft 10 rounds this year which will be great for fans, so I hope they go through with it.

For me if Dallas could get Brown or Kinlaw in 1st and then Delpit I would call it a great draft. Some combination of Brown DT, Kinlaw DT, Fotu DT, Delpit S, Dugger S, Chinn S, Biadasz OC, Hennessy OC, Kmet TE, Claypool TE/WR, Breeland TE, Lamb WR, Pittman WR, Mims WR, Jefferson WR, Hill WR, Diggs CB, Terrell CB, Hall CB, Dantzler CB, and Robinson II CB.

good post.

you really think 3-6 WRs are better than Dez? 8)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two weeks before the draft and mocks galore. Also free agency grades and how it helps each team. Dallas is no different in conducting interviews via media like Zoom and you can bet the farm a lot of those "leaked" interviews are nothing more than smoke screens. Anyway here is my take in where we sit and what we might do at each position.

QB - Dak, Rush, Thorson - have to believe Dallas will get a deal done with Dak sometime over the next few months. Could we draft one, yes although I believe it won't happen until the 7th although most likely an UDFA. Signing a vet is probably on the table but only at a very reduced cost.

RB - Zeke, Pollard, Chunn - could see them signing a couple of UDFA guys to compete with Chunn although doubt we draft a guy.

FB - Olawaze - most likely sign someone as UDFA to compete although just camp fodder

TE - Jarwin, Bell, Schultz, Hikutini - probably an UDFA to sign although if someone like Kmet is on the board and the BPA of the board over anyone else on our board, wouldn't be surprised to see them take him

WR - Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson, Smith, Jones, Johnson, Bryant - last 3 of this group have little to no chance, Austin still out there but don't see us resigning him, definitely could see us drafting one in the first 4 rounds especially if we stick to our board but don't think it is going to be a must thing.

OT - Smith, Collins, Knight, Miller, Hyatt - actually would be surprised if we drafted an OT but taking an UDFA for camp is a definitely happening

OG/OC - Martin, Williams, McGovern, Looney, Redmond, Wichman - seems to be set although I could see us taking an OG/OC in the area of 4th or 5th rounds

ST - Ladouceur, Jones, Forbath, Zuerlein, Vizcaino - going to be interesting how the K shakes out and Jones will probably have competition from an UDFA

DE - Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks - know most fans and media believe we will draft a DE and suspect we will but unless that guy is heads and tails above anyone on the board it could easily be late 2nd day or 3rd day before we do

DT - McCoy, Poe, Hill, Woods, Hamilton, (Crawford) - I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take 2 in the draft and another 2 as UDFA. Sure McCoy and Poe seem to be the starters for now but they are going to be looking at their replacements right off the bat. I really do not believe that Hill or Woods in anyway are what the coaching staff wants and would be a bit of a surprise if either make the team. If the draft falls the way Dallas wants then we could see Brown or Kinlaw as our 1st round pick.

LB - Lee, Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Gifford, Covington, March - we could see all seven make the team if you look at what our ST coach likes, could we draft one, sure but don't expect it until day 3

CB - Awuzie, Brown, Lewis, Canaday, Goodwin, Burton, Westry, White - another spot where everyone believe it will be our 1st round guy or 2nd round guy but it will be interesting if we don't take one until the 3rd day of the draft which won't surprise me

S - Woods, Clinton-Dix, Wilson, Thompson - if you look at what we have on the roster, the only guy that is really a SS is Wilson. Thompson I see as a ST guy only. Don't think the coaching staff is sold on Woods so I expect this is another spot where we could actually draft 2 guys. If Delpit falls into the 2nd round like most expect, I could easily see Dallas moving up to get him. Sure his tackling needs help but that can be coached. He easily is the starting SS on day one.

How the draft plays out is anyone's guess but if Dallas can hit on 3 or 4 guys then it is a great draft. There is a proposal up to make the draft 10 rounds this year which will be great for fans, so I hope they go through with it.

For me if Dallas could get Brown or Kinlaw in 1st and then Delpit I would call it a great draft. Some combination of Brown DT, Kinlaw DT, Fotu DT, Delpit S, Dugger S, Chinn S, Biadasz OC, Hennessy OC, Kmet TE, Claypool TE/WR, Breeland TE, Lamb WR, Pittman WR, Mims WR, Jefferson WR, Hill WR, Diggs CB, Terrell CB, Hall CB, Dantzler CB, and Robinson II CB.

Draft the best prospects available.

Draft with the 2021 season in mind. Drafting based on the contribution of rookies is the top cause for draft fails.

I don't like trading up, but I would consider it to get a player in the the tier above the players likely available at #17. Kinlaw is a tier, maybe 2 tiers above guys like Chaisson and Henderson.

If not, then trading down if there are any takers would be a good option. If all the players on the Kinlaw/Jeudy tier are gone by #17 then the value is in the late 1st early 2nd where several players will likely end up being as good as players drafted around #17.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So many of you people are going to be disappointed when the 17th pick is made by the Cowboys and they ignore the QB and WR position by drafting a defensive player. Rinse and repeat in the 2nd rd. lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Odds are that Dallas will go either DE, CB or SS for their #1 pick in 2020.

Those positions seem to be the most likely roster picks for the 1st round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys absolutely forced the Taco pick and the Hill pick. Both appear to be huge busts.

This is not a new phenomenon. They forced a pick on Ebeneezer Ekuban, and several other DEs back in the day with very meager returns on investment.

When you force a pick based on need that’s generally what you are going to get. Pick the best player available to you (or trade back) and stop wasting picks.

"No good deed goes unpunished". See the end of this post for explanation.

Yes, they had at least 2 players ranked ahead of Taco that were available.

I still say coaching was a bigger fail than the actual pick with Taco. He had DLaw physical ability but Marinelli couldn't get through to him. If Jimmy or Belichick were the HC (or DC), Taco either would not have made it out of the 1st training camp without being traded away or he would have become a least a decent player. He was better in Miami with no training camp in that scheme and with a chaotic season for a bad team.

I think Marinelii might have told the front office that he could move DLaw to RDE because Taco was an exact fit as a LDE in Marineli's scheme and most 4-3 defenses but not a fit at RDE. Taco was LDE in college. Taco himself thought he could only succeed at LDE. He played LDE after he signed with Miami.

Taco over Watt would both have been DEs with the Cowboys but it was still similar to taking drafting based on position (i.e. need) because Marinelli didn't see Watt as a full time 4-3 DE.

McClay's draft board was correct in that he had Watt above Taco.

Hill was a different scenario; although, need still played into the decision. It was an inverse-need decision in that they would have drafted Thornhill but Kris Richard convinced them that Xavier Woods would be an elite FS and that neither Woods or Thornhill projected to SS.

The jury is still out on Hill and I actually think he was a better prospect than Taco.
Better than average measurables:
Taco: No
Hill: Yes

High "Motor" player
Taco: No
Hill: Yes

Coaching decisions were again an issue with Hill. They drafted Hill as a 3tech and it was well known that Hill would take longer than some other players to acclimate to the NFL.

All of Hill's snaps in the preseason and camp were at 3tech. Then when they put him in real games they played him at 1tech.

Even for the most ready-now rookies, it's best to play them at 1 position during their rookie year. For a "needs time to develop" type rookie playing him at more than 1 position was asinine.

"No good deed goes unpunished" applies to Will McClay. When he became the top talent evaluator for the Cowboys, one of his goals was to get the scouting dept. and the coaching staff in sync to avoid the ordeal they had the previous year with Marinelli piping up during the draft to say that the DT Floyd was not worth a first round pick in this scheme and they scrambled around and traded down.

McClay's predecessor basically ignored the coaches prior to drafts. McClay set it up to give coaches more input. The result was Marinelli convincing them to draft Taco over Watt or the other player they had rated above Taco.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Odds are that Dallas will go either DE, CB or SS for their #1 pick in 2020.

Those positions seem to be the most likely roster picks for the 1st round.

I'll take the bet that the Cowboys do not draft a Safety at #17...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll take the bet that the Cowboys do not draft a Safety at #17...

That's fairly safe to say. The Cowboys' history says they've routinely ignored it in the past. So, there's that. Delpit may change that but who's to say he will? There's also WR. They could go DT, even though they picked up 2 of them in vet FA. An OLB is yet another option. They're all reasonably possible.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fairly safe to say. The Cowboys' history says they've routinely ignored it in the past. So, there's that. Delpit may change that but who's to say he will? There's also WR. They could go DT, even though they picked up 2 of them in vet FA. An OLB is yet another option. They're all reasonably possible.
Draft for 2021 not for 2020. Can't count on rookies.

The 2 late in their career DTs should not affect the draft.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Nice write-up, good info on the roster :bow::welcome::bow:

GenoT

Reaction score

Considering we have a new coaching staff, and where we currently are in this difficult preseason, that’s a fairly solid overview.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why do you say it is a dream, just an evaluation of the roster. Nothing wrong with this. There is not any outrageous scenarios. Some will agree, some will not. But more will agree with a few changes. Except the usual suspects that do not like anything at all.
he means us getting any combo of those guys in the draft..but I like the names, hoe some fall out right..

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Why wouldn't Gregory be on the roster?
I just don't believe he will stay "straight". I think he will mess up and fail another drug test but that is just me. His track record isn't very good. Maybe he has changed, but I will have to see it to believe it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

After looking at the position groups, why would QB and TE likely be the "UDFA" route? 3rd day on DE and CB?

Also Delpit isn't a SS.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I just don't believe he will stay "straight". I think he will mess up and fail another drug test but that is just me. His track record isn't very good. Maybe he has changed, but I will have to see it to believe it.
Doesn't matter if he fails another drug test. Can't be suspended for weed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New CBA says he can't be suspended. That's why there is so much talk about him returning. He definitely impacted the defense when he played in 2018.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
New CBA says he can't be suspended. That's why there is so much talk about him returning. He definitely impacted the defense when he played in 2018.
No disagreement there. He does make a difference. I guess I just got tired of knowing how good he is and not seeing him in there. I thought the same thing about McClain.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He just needs to get reinstated. No suspensions for Weed in the new CBA.

A failed test results in a large fine but the threshold for the test is now 4x higher than previously. The previous threshold had already been increased by about 2x a few years ago.

In lieu of suspension players will now be fined anywhere from a half-week’s salary to three weeks’ salary for positive tests, depending on the number of violations.

A new threshold for a positive test will also be put in place, raising the allowed amount of THC from 35 nanograms to 150.

The new CBA will reduce the testing period from four months to the two weeks at the start of training camp.