Roughly 86 players come off the board between our 3rd pick and our next pick in the 5th

Aven8

Reaction score
Because of the trade for Lance we will see likely 86 players come off the board between our 3rd and what is likely to be our 5th round comp late in the round.

Which brings us to 3 scenarios.

1. Trade out of the 1st to pick up more.
2. Nail FA
3. The top 3 picks MUST contribute.

We have 7 picks but the meat is generally in the middle. Just as a reminder, Dak, TP, Biadiz, and Fergs were all 4th round picks.

What do you think?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Because of the trade for Lance we will see likely 86 players come off the board between our 3rd and what is likely to be our 5th round comp late in the round.

2. Nail FA

We have 7 picks but the meat is generally in the middle. Just as a reminder, Dak, TP, Biadiz, and Fergs were all 4th round picks.

What do you think?
#2 is the most important piece of the offseason and likely why we’ve continued to be able to get over the hump.

The Cowboys FO will probably live by #3…which is incredibly foolish IMO.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

2. Nail FA

What do you think?
So Lance is this years 4th round pick. Sounds like a decent trade off to me. He was a former 1st round pick with a lot of natural talent. Who knows how he’ll pan out but the trade was very reasonable considering the potential.

Gambit

Reaction score
So Lance is this years 4th round pick. Sounds like a decent trade off to me. He was a former 1st round pick with a lot of natural talent. Who knows how he’ll pan out but the trade was very reasonable considering the potential.
Another option in conjunction with 2 is trade for players. We've shown in recent history the desire to do so.

History has shown when we bring in a new DC the team brings in players they need to help put system in place. I'd expect us to be active in at least this area.

Aven8

Reaction score
Only problem with that is you’re paying him as a 1st and you only have one more year in that current deal.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Only problem with that is you’re paying him as a 1st and you only have one more year in that current deal.
No, no.

Only sunshine and rainbows allowed.

He's a former 1st round pick and right after the trade, 31 GM's, including the 49ers GM, texted the Jones' to tell them how they just stole their guy.

Don't be bringing logical arguments about acquiring a 1st round pick in his 3rd year making zero sense. Less so when he didn’t play a moment of football in that 3rd year.

Aven8

Reaction score
No, no.

He's a former 1st round pick and right after the trade, 31 GM's, including the 49ers GM, texted the Jones' to tell them how they just stole their guy.

Don't be bringing logical arguments about acquiring a 1st round pick in his 3rd year making zero sense. Less so when he didn’t play a moment of football in that 3rd year.
The timing of it was the worse thing. After TC and PS?!…..

Sydla

Reaction score
But instead of 4 years, you only control him for one more and his cap hit is larger than any 4th round picks would be. For example, Fehoko was a 4th round pick, his cap his is $1.1MM this year. Lance's? $5.3MM.

So it's not quite the same thing.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
#2 is the most important piece of the offseason and likely why we’ve continued to be able to get over the hump.

The Cowboys FO will probably live by #3…which is incredibly foolish IMO.
I have heard Jimmy Johnson is now apart of their advisory committee, perhaps he can convince the Jones family that just building via the draft isn't working.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Another option in conjunction with 2 is trade for players. We've shown in recent history the desire to do so.

History has shown when we bring in a new DC the team brings in players they need to help put system in place. I'd expect us to be active in at least this area.
Good points.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He’s on a rookie contract with this year being the last at an acceptable cap hit.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
But instead of 4 years, you only control him for one more and his cap hit is larger than any 4th round picks would be. For example, Fehoko was a 4th round pick, his cap his is $1.1MM this year. Lance's? $5.3MM.

So it's not quite the same thing.
Don’t need 4 years of Lance. He’s already had that. And 5.3m is nothing in the big scheme of things.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don’t need 4 years of Lance. He’s already had that. And 5.3m is nothing in the big scheme of things.
You could get a quality TB for that.

I was OK with the Lance trade because I figured they had a plan. I am not sure what that plan is at this point. Did they just throw a 4th rounder at San Fran so they could have a backup QB? Dump Rush, Lance is the backup and then let Lance walk in FA?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You could get a quality TB for that.

I was OK with the Lance trade because I figured they had a plan. I am not sure what that plan is at this point. Did they just throw a 4th rounder at San Fran so they could have a backup QB? Dump Rush, Lance is the backup and then let Lance walk in FA?
MM likes to draft QB’s for either the future or to garner more draft picks.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, no.

Or that he got beat out by Sam Darnold

Sydla

Reaction score
MM likes to draft QB’s for either the future or to garner more draft picks.
OK but that doesn't apply here. One, it was reported McCarthy wasn't even in the loop on the trade. Two, he's only here for one more season so you'd have to pay him in the next 12 months to keep him. And Lance likely has little value at this point given he was only worth a 4th rounder last August and hasn't played.

So again, I am not sure what the plan here is. Maybe it was just insurance in case Dak imploded and they realized they needed to move on this offseason? But that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
OK but that doesn't apply here. One, it was reported McCarthy wasn't even in the loop on the trade. Two, he's only here for one more season so you'd have to pay him in the next 12 months to keep him. And Lance likely has little value at this point given he was only worth a 4th rounder last August and hasn't played.

So again, I am not sure what the plan here is. Maybe it was just insurance in case Dak imploded and they realized they needed to move on this offseason? But that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.
Reported by who? Colin Cowturd? Stephen *** Smith? Or maybe it was Brian “I got fired by the Cowboys “ Broaddus. Oh wait, it had to be Fake News Fisher! Like Parcells said, “You got sucked!”

Hardline

Reaction score
Between 3 and 5 is when all the top RBs will go off the board. And it's going to suck watching them fly off the board.
This in my opinion forces us to use a 3rd round pick on one.

Aven8

Reaction score
Between 3 and 5 is when all the top RBs will go off the board. And it's going to suck watching them fly off the board.
This in my opinion forces us to use a 3rd round pick on one.
Right. And the comps are just guesswork currently. As of today we have a pick in rounds 1-3, and two 7ths. Now that’s sounds scary as hell for an all in team!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes. But if the plan is to re sign Dak at market value, bringing in Lance was a waste of a 4th rounder.