Roughly 86 players come off the board between our 3rd pick and our next pick in the 5th

Sydla

Reaction score
Reported by who? Colin Cowturd? Stephen *** Smith? Or maybe it was Brian “I got fired by the Cowboys “ Broaddus. Oh wait, it had to be Fake News Fisher! Like Parcells said, “You got sucked!”

The source was Jerry Jones, himself. He said they didn't tell anyone they were interesting/trading for Lance until after it happened.

Last edited:

MarkP88

Reaction score
So Lance is this years 4th round pick. Sounds like a decent trade off to me. He was a former 1st round pick with a lot of natural talent. Who knows how he’ll pan out but the trade was very reasonable considering the potential.
He’s a former 1st we had a second round grade on, and we probably could have just waited for the niners to cut him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes. But if the plan is to re sign Dak at market value, bringing in Lance was a waste of a 4th rounder.
Not necessarily. He’s got this whole upcoming preseason to put his talents on tape. If he does good, then they can trade him. If he doesn’t, then it’s a waste of a 4th rounder. You win some and you lose some. Especially with QB’s. We’ll see how it turns out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The source was Jerry Jones, himself. He said they didn't tell anyone they were interesting/trading for Lance until after it happened.
Never heard that before. Sounds like fake news.

reddyuta

Reaction score
they need to pick safe players who can contribute immediately,non performers in College are not welcome.

Gambit

Reaction score
You could get a quality TB for that.

I was OK with the Lance trade because I figured they had a plan. I am not sure what that plan is at this point. Did they just throw a 4th rounder at San Fran so they could have a backup QB? Dump Rush, Lance is the backup and then let Lance walk in FA?
Let's see how Lance does in preseason. He came in after OTAs, QB School, TC, Preseason.

He wasn't part of any of the off-season installs, got to sit work on footwork and learn. It was always about getting to this years off season with him to see how he develops.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because of the trade for Lance we will see likely 86 players come off the board between our 3rd and what is likely to be our 5th round comp late in the round.
Because that pick was used doesn't mean we aren't getting a player from that draft pick. So it's not like 86 players will be drafted without the Cowboys getting someone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the comps are just guesswork currently. As of today we have a pick in rounds 1-3, and two 7ths.
Not really guesswork. We know the formula used.

As of today...That doesn't really matter because we know for a fact it will change.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Because of the trade for Lance we will see likely 86 players come off the board between our 3rd and what is likely to be our 5th round comp late in the round.

Which brings us to 3 scenarios.

1. Trade out of the 1st to pick up more.
2. Nail FA
3. The top 3 picks MUST contribute.

We have 7 picks but the meat is generally in the middle. Just as a reminder, Dak, TP, Biadiz, and Fergs were all 4th round picks.

What do you think?
All the above!
Dallas has minimal trade assets in Dono, Hooker, and Cooks to get some mid round picks.

Aven8

Reaction score
Because that pick was used doesn't mean we aren't getting a player from that draft pick. So it's not like 86 players will be drafted without the Cowboys getting someone.
It will roughly be that amount for that 5th round comp, between our last pick in the third, until our next pick which is the comp at the end of round 5.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Which brings us to 3 scenarios.

1. Trade out of the 1st to pick up more.
2. Nail FA
3. The top 3 picks MUST contribute.

We have 7 picks but the meat is generally in the middle. Just as a reminder, Dak, TP, Biadiz, and Fergs were all 4th round picks.

What do you think?
TRADE BACK you know how I feel, it's hard to see this!! 86 dang!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
So Lance is this years 4th round pick. Sounds like a decent trade off to me. He was a former 1st round pick with a lot of natural talent. Who knows how he’ll pan out but the trade was very reasonable considering the potential.
But he's not going to play

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Another option in conjunction with 2 is trade for players. We've shown in recent history the desire to do so.

History has shown when we bring in a new DC the team brings in players they need to help put system in place. I'd expect us to be active in at least this area.
No bait!!

MikeT22

Reaction score
Prove it.
"No, we, we didn't tell anybody until we did it, period," Jones said prior to the Cowboys' preseason finale against the Las Vegas Raiders. "There was nobody that knew [about] it. We told Mike [McCarthy], after we had done it, but my point is we just wanted to get it done. Again, we didn't waste any time. My point is, we didn't, we didn't want them, we didn't want them to hang up."

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.

"I didn't have to send it around," Jones said on 105.3FM The Fan in Dallas, via The Athletic. "I can make that trade in 5 minutes."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-mccarthy-i-can-make-that-trade-in-5-minutes/