Roy covering Shockey-->>Whose Idea?

landryscorner

Reaction score
Okay now we all know Roy has been struggling on covering receivers and shockey has given him fits in the past. Who in there infinite wisdom decided to put Roy one on one with Shockey? I mean did Roy step up to the challenge with the defensive coaches? because if he did, then he answered all the

questions for us we've had on this board, and on the local/national media, that he's struggling on coverages. This was an embarassing night for Roy, Shockey had a HOF day with him on his tail. Unlike Darren Woodson(who in my mind is one of the Cowboys Greats! I think we can all agree with that) Roy will not end his career as a cowboy, as soon as his contract is up, I

dont think the Front office will resign him, therefore I hope that we strike GOld at the draft, I know we have other needs, but if not the draft then we can pick up a great Safety on FA. That's just my opinion, but I think ROY is hurting our team, he is a liability. I really like the guy but you have to

wonder what ever happened to him in the last 2 years....and I would probably count him out of the probowl at this point, even his last year's selection was questionable, League recognition can only get you so far, play crappy and the whole world notices.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
didn't you get the memo?

roy played great with perfect coverage.

next year we need another cover safety to limit Roy's role in passing situations.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I'm sure the plan was to blanket cover the deep threats and make Shockey beat us, which he clearly didn't do.

landryscorner

Reaction score
well i'm willing to bet the boys play a lot of nickel and dime against the packers considering they dont run the ball very much, so if ROy has another day like today were gonna have a long day with Brett launching rockets out of his pocket, and It's great to compliment ROY with capable counterparts in the secondary but what happens when ROy has to tangle with TE's like today? He can't always be a run stopper, a "complete" safety does it all, something ROy is not capable of doing this year

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not his best game but at the same time hes being told to give that big of a cushion. I would have preferred he try to get physical with Shockey at the line but thats not how the coaches wanted it.

And as much as I hate to say it, Shockey is pretty good.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I'm not even mad at Roy anymore, Accept the fact He's average at best...Please do not defend Him, He doesnt deserve it:laugh2: .

Ren

Reaction score
one would have to think after game 1 the gameplan was to take Burress out of the game which left Roy in a lot of deep zone and maned up one on one with Shockey quite a lot not a lot of saftys will cover him man to man, but meh i'm not even gonna bother, we won

RomoIsBack

Reaction score
landryscorner;1759806 said:
well i'm willing to bet the boys play a lot of nickel and dime against the packers considering they dont run the ball very much, so if ROy has another day like today were gonna have a long day with Brett launching rockets out of his pocket, and It's great to compliment ROY with capable counterparts in the secondary but what happens when ROy has to tangle with TE's like today? He can't always be a run stopper, a "complete" safety does it all, something ROy is not capable of doing this year
that's all i think about those long deep balls

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I don't get this. Roy played very well today. He had issues with Shockey when he was put on an island by himself. I'll ask you this. Is there any SS you'd take in this league one on one against Witten? Witten would win the vast majority against any SS in the league and so does Shockey.

To say that Roy played poorly today is just crazy. He was great against the run. He was sure in his tackling. He never let anyone get behind him. He did what a safety is supposed to do and did it extremely well in a huge game. What the heck game were you guys watching?

Seriously.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Shockey's longest catches didn't come when Roy was covering him. He caught the TD (pretty good coverage by Roy) and a few short little passes underneath, but that's about it. His long catches came against Ayodele and the prevent zone.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1759951 said:
Shockey's longest catches didn't come when Roy was covering him. He caught the TD (pretty good coverage by Roy) and a few short little passes underneath, but that's about it. His long catches came against Ayodele and the prevent zone.

I knew I wasn't crazy when I said I thought Roy played a good game. :D

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
landryscorner;1759781 said:
Okay now we all know Roy has been struggling on covering receivers and shockey has given him fits in the past. Who in there infinite wisdom decided to put Roy one on one with Shockey? I mean did Roy step up to the challenge with the defensive coaches? because if he did, then he answered all the

questions for us we've had on this board, and on the local/national media, that he's struggling on coverages. This was an embarassing night for Roy, Shockey had a HOF day with him on his tail. Unlike Darren Woodson(who in my mind is one of the Cowboys Greats! I think we can all agree with that) Roy will not end his career as a cowboy, as soon as his contract is up, I

dont think the Front office will resign him, therefore I hope that we strike GOld at the draft, I know we have other needs, but if not the draft then we can pick up a great Safety on FA. That's just my opinion, but I think ROY is hurting our team, he is a liability. I really like the guy but you have to

wonder what ever happened to him in the last 2 years....and I would probably count him out of the probowl at this point, even his last year's selection was questionable, League recognition can only get you so far, play crappy and the whole world notices.

First of all, Roy did not play that bad against Shockey. Most of his catches were very short, even the TD was decent coverage.

Second, Roy goes to the pro bowl every year because of his big hits, you know, the one of Jacobs that had the whole stadium saying ooooohhhh.

Third, Roy just got a new contract last year for a record signing bonus for a safety. He will finish his career as a Cowboy without a doubt.

Sorry to burst your bubble with facts.;)

playmakers

Reaction score
Take into consideration the new scheme. To Roy's credit, this year he has given up one big play in coverage as oppose to years past of many. Give him credit for that. Its a game of inches and if Eli put the ball where it was suppose to be Roy Williams would of probably intercepted the first td. That was tough luck because he did what he was suppose to do.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
Im with the guys that said Roy had a good game, Im willing to bet we wont be so good in run defense if it wasnt for Roy this guy is great at that and i think it be ludacris to get rid of him. The problem can be fixed by finding someone to replace him on passing downs. I think he lead the team in tackles this game and Jacobs was held under 100 rushing yards, Roy was a big part of that. Jacobs was also held to only 4.1 yards rushing wich was the lowest this season for him. So if you guys think Roy sucks and are willing to get another player better then him just know our run defense will be loosing a big key player.

BTW, should we also get rid of T.Newman cause that guy seems to drop lots of interceptions. :confused:

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
Roy played a solid game IMO.. the guy just has some trouble in coverage..

But i bet players in the NFL, still fear " Heavy Hitter" Roy

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Shockey had four catches for 23 yards against Roy (for 4, 8, 4 and 7 yards). He had one for 29 against Reeves (in a prevent zone before halftime). He had one for 22 against Ayodele. He had two for 16 against Burnett. He had one for 6 against James. He had one for 6 on a screen pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage. He had one for 16 against a prevent zone at the end of the game. And he had one for 11 between Ellis and James in zone coverage.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1760102 said:
Shockey had four catches for 23 yards against Roy (for 4, 8, 4 and 7 yards). He had one for 29 against Reeves (in a prevent zone before halftime). He had one for 22 against Ayodele. He had two for 16 against Burnett. He had one for 6 against James. He had one for 6 on a screen pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage. He had one for 16 against a prevent zone at the end of the game. And he had one for 11 between Ellis and James in zone coverage.

You're wrong Adam, Roy was responsible for all of them. I saw him on my TV screen!!

dannyz

Reaction score
Roy was responsible for the deep middle of the field. When the outside receiver cuts inside and the slot receiver goes outside, Henry or Newman switch to the slot receiver and Roy is responsible for picking up the outside crossing receiver. He misses this a lot and gets behind a few steps in the crossing pattern. This happened against New England as well. First TD of the game IIRC. Newman rolled outside, Roy looked lost and touchdown New england. I don't know what it is that he can't figure out, but it's hurting the team for sure.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dannyz;1760118 said:
Roy was responsible for the deep middle of the field. When the outside receiver cuts inside and the slot receiver goes outside, Henry or Newman switch to the slot receiver and Roy is responsible for picking up the outside crossing receiver. He misses this a lot and gets behind a few steps in the crossing pattern. This happened against New England as well. First TD of the game IIRC. Newman rolled outside, Roy looked lost and touchdown New england. I don't know what it is that he can't figure out, but it's hurting the team for sure.

If Roy was responsible for that TD, then we called the stupidest red zone pass defense in history, because Roy had the tight end right in front of him at the goal line. Is he supposed to just let that guy go uncovered for an easy touchdown?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's obvious that the Giants went into the game wanting to isolate coverage on Roy. Wade did a good job of making second half adjustments, and luckily for us Plaxico is too gimpy and TNew is too good to make us pay for having to over compensate on Shockey. Roy's still a liability in coverage, and always will be. He comes into every game with a bullseye on his back, and anyone who thinks NFL offensive coordinators are too stupid to figure out ways to exploit him are fooling themselves. It's just a matter of how many resources Wade has to allocate to helping him out, and whether or not the rest of the secondary can pick up his slack.