Roy covering Shockey-->>Whose Idea?

superpunk

Reaction score
An embarassing night? Because he gave up a TD pass in single coverage to a great TE.

This is an embarassing thread. He covered Shockey well all night, not allowing him to get loose deep, or get any YAC when he was on him. The TD was a perfect throw and catch. Meanwhile the rest of the night he was sticking his helmet in, hitting hard and making plays.

Roy's career is going to be over in a few years, and it's going to be a shame that half of Cowboys fans won't care because they're too stupid to realize how good a player he is.

TVMan

Reaction score
superpunk;1760185 said:
Roy's career is going to be over in a few years, and it's going to be a shame that half of Cowboys fans won't care because they're too stupid to realize how good a player he is.

Well said. We win the game with an awesome TEAM effort and we still have to endure this stupidity.

We are 8-1, enjoy it.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
superpunk;1760185 said:
An embarassing night? Because he gave up a TD pass in single coverage to a great TE.

This is an embarassing thread. He covered Shockey well all night, not allowing him to get loose deep, or get any YAC when he was on him. The TD was a perfect throw and catch. Meanwhile the rest of the night he was sticking his helmet in, hitting hard and making plays.

we have some embarrassingly stupid fans...its sad to say it, but its true...th original post in this thread was one of the dumbest...some people are acting like Shockey had 20 catches for 400 yds and 3 tds...when in fact most of his receptions were little short ones...never mind the fact that the guy they are blaming for all the receptions didnt even cover him for alot of them

like I said...embarrassingly stupid

David

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Nope, not 20 catches for 400 yards. Just 12 catches for 129. I guess we should give Roy a standing O for holding him to that. Coming into the game, The Great Shockey's previous season high for catches was 5. He broke that somewhere around the first few minutes in the 2nd quarter. His season high for yards was 79, so he only broke that by 50 yards, again in the first half. And luckily for Roy, Wade bailed him out in the 2nd half by giving him more help, otherwise it could have been really ugly.

I mean, really, when the Cowboys offense is scoring 30+ points every single game, we can laugh stuff like this off ... because unless the other team is capable of outscoring us by putting up 35-49 (like the Patriots), what the other team's offense does is all pretty much futile and irrelevant. In today's NFL with about 24 teams getting marginal QB production, at best, that's a pretty short list. But Roy is horrible in coverage, and I don't see how anyone can deny it. It's obvioius what opposing offensive coordinators think about him when they target him from the outset like that. Usually, great players aren't targeted by opposing offensive coordinators as the weakness of your defense. I won't be sad when Roy retires. We can get similar production from a free agent safety for a fraction of the cap hit. We're already getting it from Hamlin, who we got on a 1 year deal. And he can actually line himself up properly, which is always a cherry on top.

TVMan

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760219 said:
Nope, not 20 catches for 400 yards. Just 12 catches for 129. I guess we should give Roy a standing O for holding him to that. Coming into the game, The Great Shockey's previous season high for catches was 5. He broke that somewhere around the first few minutes in the 2nd quarter. He broke his previous season high for yards by 50 yards. And luckily for Roy, Wade bailed him out in the 2nd half by giving him more help, otherwise it could have been really ugly.

I mean, really, when the Cowboys offense is scoring 30+ points every single game, we can laugh stuff like this off ... because unless the other team is capable of outscoring us by putting up 35-49, and in today's NFL that's a pretty short list of teams, what the other team's offense does is all pretty much irrelevant and futile. But Roy is horrible in coverage, and I don't see how anyone can deny it. It's obvioius what opposing offensive coordinators think about him when they target him like that. Usually, great players aren't targeted by opposing offensive coordinators as the weakness of your defense. I won't be sad when Roy retires. We can get similar production from a free agent safety for a fraction of the cap hit. We're already getting it from Hamlin, who we got on a 1 year deal.

You hate Roy as a cover safety. We get it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
TVMan;1760227 said:
You hate Roy as a cover safety. We get it.

And you love Roy and think he can do no wrong, and everyone who points out his obvious flaws is a big meanie. We get it.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Roy played pretty well. Adam pretty much summed up what happened against Roy. On the TD, Roy had pretty good coverage and Eli through it behind Shockey for the TD. It was a well placed ball. Roy tackled well today.... I can't ask too much more of them. We held the Giants to 3 points in the second half.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
It is obvious at this point that Roy is who we think he is.

The main problem with Roy Williams is the fact that he isn't making up for his poor coverage skills with turnerovers and game changing hit.

In year's past, he would normally cause fumbles, make monster hits and have a multitude of negative plays against the run.

At times, it seemed like he was tenative and was giving way too much cushion, although I will conceed that the coaches may told him to do that.

He took an absolute horrible angle on the Shockey TD and it happens again and again.

When opposing teams make it an absolute point to go after your Pro Bowl safety, I just think you have to take a step back and evalute that.

Thank GOD for Wade Phillips and his adjustments to double Shockey from the 3rd Quarter on. Is there any doubt that Parcells would have been stubborn and refused to make any adjustments?

- Mike G.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TVMan;1760233 said:
You are better than this Roshi.

Actually is one of the best posters on this board and is dead on with his assesment of Roy's game last night.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760219 said:
Nope, not 20 catches for 400 yards. Just 12 catches for 129. I guess we should give Roy a standing O for holding him to that.
If Roy had been responsible for all 12, there might be a point here.

Should we banish Washington's terribly athletic safeties from the league for allowing him 16 ypc in their game earlier this year? Should the Giants cut Gibril Wilson because they can find a FA safety to get his *** toasted by Terrell Owens? Probably not.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yep, I'm ready to burn Roy at the steak just for this one game. Because, you know, this is the very first time he has looked completely inept in coverage.

If Washington wants to trade us one of their safeties for Roy, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760287 said:
Yep, I'm ready to burn Roy at the steak just for this one game. Because, you know, this is the very first time he has looked completely inept in coverage.

If Washington wants to trade us one of their safeties for Roy, I'll be more than happy to oblige.
The hyperbolic blustering is cute, but a surprising waste of my time.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Roy made some great plays against the run yesterday.He also had his usual poor game in coverage.It is apparent that he has the athletic skills but he just doesn't get it mentally. He recognizes the play a second or two to late to make the play more often then not.Those of us who see that may be "stupid" but at least we are in the same company as every offensive coordinator we face.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;1760296 said:
The hyperbolic blustering is cute, but a surprising waste of my time.

Hyperbolic blustering ... from the guy who chided the rest of us on how much we're going to miss our $5 million per year safety, because we're taking for granted TE's demolishing their season highs in ONLY the 2nd quarter.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760287 said:

and thankfully for us, you arnt running the show at VR

David

aikemirv

Reaction score
I Thought Roy had a very good game. I don't expect him to blanket Shockey like some of you people. I don't think there is a SS in the league that can blanket Shockey. You guys who do are just blowing smoke. We decided that Shockey was going to be the one getting man coverage in the first half and he made us pay for that decision just like we made the Giants pay for their boneheaded decision to try and cover TO man to man.

By the way, great play by Henry on Buress at the end of the game, excellent work right there. Henry comes through again!

JPM

Reaction score
aikemirv;1760367 said:
I Thought Roy had a very good game. I don't expect him to blanket Shockey like some of you people. I don't think there is a SS in the league that can blanket Shockey. You guys who do are just blowing smoke. We decided that Shockey was going to be the one getting man coverage in the first half and he made us pay for that decision just like we made the Giants pay for their boneheaded decision to try and cover TO man to man.

By the way, great play by Henry on Buress at the end of the game, excellent work right there. Henry comes through again!

I thought he had a decent game as well. He stopped the run, had a nice OOOHH hit, a couple of hits Jacobs for short gains on a couple of run blitzes. That's what he does best.

Smith22

Reaction score
I'm with Rosh. For the money we are paying Roy, he needs to be making big plays for us. He was OK yesterday, but heck, at least 3-4 of his tackles were on Shock. The Roy we saw his 1st few seasons hasn't been around this year.

He also got bailed out on the Snee holding call because he was out of position on that TD run.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
landryscorner;1759781 said:
Okay now we all know Roy has been struggling on covering receivers and shockey has given him fits in the past. Who in there infinite wisdom decided to put Roy one on one with Shockey? I mean did Roy step up to the challenge with the defensive coaches? because if he did, then he answered all the

questions for us we've had on this board, and on the local/national media, that he's struggling on coverages. This was an embarassing night for Roy, Shockey had a HOF day with him on his tail. Unlike Darren Woodson(who in my mind is one of the Cowboys Greats! I think we can all agree with that) Roy will not end his career as a cowboy, as soon as his contract is up, I

dont think the Front office will resign him, therefore I hope that we strike GOld at the draft, I know we have other needs, but if not the draft then we can pick up a great Safety on FA. That's just my opinion, but I think ROY is hurting our team, he is a liability. I really like the guy but you have to

wonder what ever happened to him in the last 2 years....and I would probably count him out of the probowl at this point, even his last year's selection was questionable, League recognition can only get you so far, play crappy and the whole world notices.

They did this to us constantly in the first game also, most people at home couldnt see it on tv because they never really showed it.

It is an alignment thing, I am not sure they wanted that matchup, but at the same time brian stewart said after the game that they wanted to keep 17 from making big plays and they did. And at the same time newman dominated toomer in the slot and played well on him outside.

Shockey caught a bunch of balls, A bunch on roy one on one where he should, but it didnt translate into points and we won.