Roy covering Shockey-->>Whose Idea?

Bull Frog

Reaction score
Smith22;1760405 said:
He also got bailed out on the Snee holding call because he was out of position on that TD run.

Wow. Now Roy is getting blamed for being out of position on a play that was negated by a hold when he was the guy being held. If he wasn't held, maybe he wouldn't have been out of position. We'll never know.

AtlCB

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760219 said:
Nope, not 20 catches for 400 yards. Just 12 catches for 129. I guess we should give Roy a standing O for holding him to that. Coming into the game, The Great Shockey's previous season high for catches was 5. He broke that somewhere around the first few minutes in the 2nd quarter. His season high for yards was 79, so he only broke that by 50 yards, again in the first half. And luckily for Roy, Wade bailed him out in the 2nd half by giving him more help, otherwise it could have been really ugly.

I mean, really, when the Cowboys offense is scoring 30+ points every single game, we can laugh stuff like this off ... because unless the other team is capable of outscoring us by putting up 35-49 (like the Patriots), what the other team's offense does is all pretty much futile and irrelevant. In today's NFL with about 24 teams getting marginal QB production, at best, that's a pretty short list. But Roy is horrible in coverage, and I don't see how anyone can deny it. It's obvioius what opposing offensive coordinators think about him when they target him from the outset like that. Usually, great players aren't targeted by opposing offensive coordinators as the weakness of your defense. I won't be sad when Roy retires. We can get similar production from a free agent safety for a fraction of the cap hit. We're already getting it from Hamlin, who we got on a 1 year deal. And he can actually line himself up properly, which is always a cherry on top.
Offensive coordinators always try to get a safety or linebacker isolated against a TE or a WR (especially a strong safety). These matchups are mismatches. Very few safeties can handle one-on-one coverage against a decent WR or a great TE. I can't think of a single strong safety who can handle these responsibilities.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1760102 said:
Shockey had four catches for 23 yards against Roy (for 4, 8, 4 and 7 yards). He had one for 29 against Reeves (in a prevent zone before halftime). He had one for 22 against Ayodele. He had two for 16 against Burnett. He had one for 6 against James. He had one for 6 on a screen pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage. He had one for 16 against a prevent zone at the end of the game. And he had one for 11 between Ellis and James in zone coverage.

I just want to see one of these Roy "haters", maybe IR, dispute this right here. 4 catches for a total of 23 yards and you are screaming that Roy was terrible in coverage? Against a very good TE, at that.

Adam making people look silly as usual.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theebs;1760503 said:
They did this to us constantly in the first game also, most people at home couldnt see it on tv because they never really showed it.

It is an alignment thing, I am not sure they wanted that matchup, but at the same time brian stewart said after the game that they wanted to keep 17 from making big plays and they did. And at the same time newman dominated toomer in the slot and played well on him outside.

Shockey caught a bunch of balls, A bunch on roy one on one where he should, but it didnt translate into points and we won.

Shockey was the go to guy in the 1st half no doubt having 8 catches in the 2nd half the coaching staff made some adjustments and shockey only had 4 in the second half.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760320 said:
Hyperbolic blustering ... from the guy who chided the rest of us on how much we're going to miss our $5 million per year safety, because we're taking for granted TE's demolishing their season highs in ONLY the 2nd quarter.

Again you're putting that completely on Roy. Factual observations are passe when there are agendas involved.

Have you seen all the TDs scored by TEs against the Steelers? That Troy Polamalu is a beeyotch.

JPM

Reaction score
AtlCB;1760548 said:
Offensive coordinators always try to get a safety or linebacker isolated against a TE or a WR (especially a strong safety). These matchups are mismatches. Very few safeties can handle one-on-one coverage against a decent WR or a great TE. I can't think of a single strong safety who can handle these responsibilities.

Christ, I hope the Skins put Landry or Taylor on Witten.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1760552 said:
Shockey was the go to guy in the 1st half no doubt having 8 catches in the 2nd half the coaching staff made some adjustments and shockey only had 4 in the second half.

Yea. I think from what I heard Brian Stewart saybefore and after the game that the game plan might have been let shockey or whoever catch it underneath and tackle him.

Now I dont think they wanted him having the numbers he had but the threat they were worried about was burress down the field making plays, and stewart was excited after the game that they held 17 to basically nothing.

So I took that like, well shockey caught a bunch of passes and made some plays but it didnt mean points and we won the game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theebs;1760602 said:
Yea. I think from what I heard Brian Stewart saybefore and after the game that the game plan might have been let shockey or whoever catch it underneath and tackle him.

Now I dont think they wanted him having the numbers he had but the threat they were worried about was burress down the field making plays, and stewart was excited after the game that they held 17 to basically nothing.

So I took that like, well shockey caught a bunch of passes and made some plays but it didnt mean points and we won the game.

He should be excited about the job his D did. Face it the Giants scored 3 points in the second half and that was it. I think Dallas proved that the better defense was wearing the Star after hearing all week that the G-mens defense was much improved yet it was our guys who stepped up and showed themselfs as a much improved unit.

khiladi

Reaction score
As far as I could tell, as a fan, was that in the 2nd half, Roy was clearly playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage. Wade made some adjustments that seemed to counter-act the Giants game-plan to go to Shockey, and keep Roy from being isolated against him. Roy played really well, when he was moved close to the line.

BTW, I think that the coverage by Roy on the TD by Shockey was absolutely horrible. It would have made sense is Roy gave him a cushion, but was not that deep into the end-zone. All Shockey had to do was turn-around, and he didn't need to make a single cut.

dboyz

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1760320 said:
Hyperbolic blustering ... from the guy who chided the rest of us on how much we're going to miss our $5 million per year safety, because we're taking for granted TE's demolishing their season highs in ONLY the 2nd quarter.

Please tell us specifically what numbers you dispute from Adam?

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
khiladi;1760626 said:
As far as I could tell, as a fan, was that in the 2nd half, Roy was clearly playing a lot closer to the line of scrimmage. Wade made some adjustments that seemed to counter-act the Giants game-plan to go to Shockey, and keep Roy from being isolated against him. Roy played really well, when he was moved close to the line.

BTW, I think that the coverage by Roy on the TD by Shockey was absolutely horrible. It would have made sense is Roy gave him a cushion, but was not that deep into the end-zone. All Shockey had to do was turn-around, and he didn't need to make a single cut.

No, he played the coverage pretty well. There's not much to defend on a well thrown pass. Suppose Roy gets in front of him. Shockey has 5 inches on Roy. Sheli could have thrown it up. Roy was in a no-win situation there.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
JPM;1760598 said:
Christ, I hope the Skins put Landry or Taylor on Witten.

Seriously. Some people just cannot comprehend this idea. You WANT to isolate a SS on a TE if you are an offensive coordinator. It isn't just Roy, it's any SS.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
PBJTime;1760641 said:
No, he played the coverage pretty well. There's not much to defend on a well thrown pass. Suppose Roy gets in front of him. Shockey has 5 inches on Roy. Sheli could have thrown it up. Roy was in a no-win situation there.

I agree. Even Aikman commented that it was not bad coverage. He was looking to take the inside move away from Shockey and was in position to do it but the ball was thrown on the backside of Shockey where Roy had no play on it. Heads up by Manning, I give him that one.

cowboyz

Reaction score
DallasDomination;1759836 said:
I'm not even mad at Roy anymore, Accept the fact He's average at best...Please do not defend Him, He doesnt deserve it:laugh2: .
yeah i feel the same way.

aikemirv

Reaction score
And by the way, what did Buress do all game. The guy who has been torching the NFL all season. I think that explains why Shockey had a career game. I would much rather Shockey have a career game than Buress

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
cowboyz;1760653 said:
yeah i feel the same way.

Man, these debates always follow the same course. It always ends up that Roy is just your average safety. Then, Adam brings in his stats to prove that Roy is near the top of the league in most meaningful areas. Then, the question is, if Roy is average, who is great?

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Rewatch that play again. Roy was suppose to have some help inside but Bradie James was shoved out by #88 of the Giants. Should have been offensive pass interference.

cowboyz

Reaction score
PBJTime;1760661 said:
Man, these debates always follow the same course. It always ends up that Roy is just your average safety. Then, Adam brings in his stats to prove that Roy is near the top of the league in most meaningful areas. Then, the question is, if Roy is average, who is great?
he's no longer the difference maker he once was. maybe it's because the team is better, but he's not making the game changing plays.

you can bring the stats, but roy is getting targeted and beat in the red zone. he's no longer the pro bowl safety just a good run stopping SS. ken hamlin is playing better than him.

look at brian dawkins, they put him on TO one on one in the red zone. he didn't have a good game against the cowboys, but he wasn't abused and singled out like that.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv;1760654 said:
And by the way, what did Buress do all game. The guy who has been torching the NFL all season. I think that explains why Shockey had a career game. I would much rather Shockey have a career game than Buress

I don't think there is a defensive coordinator in the NFL who would show the trust that Brian Stewart showed in Roy last night, in their starting SS. Noone would consistently iso Polamalu on Shockey or Winslow. What seems like a stupid coaching move to many is really an affirmation of what our coaching staff thinks of Roy Williams' ability to cover an elite TE in man.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, haters.

Smith22

Reaction score
Bull Frog;1760540 said:
Wow. Now Roy is getting blamed for being out of position on a play that was negated by a hold when he was the guy being held. If he wasn't held, maybe he wouldn't have been out of position. We'll never know.

Actually, Aikman himself said Roy overran the play and was out of position.