Roy Williams 31 gets dogged for his coverage

Londonboy

Reaction score
Great CHIPS (concussive hits impactful plays) lousy COD (change of direction).

cowboyed

Reaction score
but he used to just knock the religion outta people. Please post your favorite RW blowup hits and plays.

I think he became an atheist when he tried to knock over Ricky Williams, running back for the Saints. Roy got blown up trying to hammer crazy Ricky the locomotive and was never quite the same.

Cmac

Reaction score
Great hitter, but his play in coverage doomed him and the outlaw of the horse collar tackle.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
In his prime— he was such an instinctual, violent, and dominating player. One of my faves. When Woody retired and the chick from Destiny’s Child broke off their engagement— Roy was never the same.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He used to knock someone out every game. As he got older the game changed and he changed. He was never huge on coverage...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The NFL legislated him out of the game.
They made the horse collar rule for him specifically.

Had he played opposite a true center field FS he might have had a Ring of Honor type career but DAL wanted to go split safeties and RW31 wasn't any good on a back pedal.
He was a scary man coming forward however.

The NFL drafted his likeness in Jabril Peppers. I have no idea why they drafted that kid so early other than bad scouting.

Creeper

Reaction score
5 pro bowl appearances in 9 seasons. He was awesome for a while. But look at his highlight reel. All of those hits would get flagged today.

Aven8

Reaction score
Two plays stand out to me......

When Emmitt returned as a Cardinal and Roy met him in the hole and blew up Emmitt’s shoulder. Emmitt had really never been hurt.

Roy tackling TO in Philly and knocking him out for the SB run with a horse collar. I mean ripped that boy down like he was a rag doll.

Jake0

Reaction score
He stopped blowing people up after a few years. I think he started playing it safe to avoid CTE or something like that. That's when he started horse collaring.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's never been a cover Safety, he was a Monster Man at OU, that hybrid LB/S that they could plug in anywhere and the QB had to account for him. Parcells knew exactly what he was getting and initially used him as the Sooners had but once they had to make him into a real S, the flaws were apparent.

I don't know what he did to the Dallas Morning News but the day after the Cowboys beat the Packers to go to 11-1, they ran a very negative article about the weak link in the secondary. That article fanned the flames to the point of him admitting he feared the ball coming his way. That was an awakening for me. Here's the most feared tackler in the NFL that made the violent highlight shots must watch sports TV admitting that. I was floored. How could the team, the coaches, let the media get to him like that and he was a shell of his former self. Then, he did the unforgivable, he began to try and make it look like the other DBs' fault when he got beat. In football, you own your own mistakes.

Roy OU Williams was the top Cowboys D player that I have ever seen fire up his team with one play. The roar of the crowd was close to the one they made when a TD was scored. I didn't care if the O had a 3 n out because that would get him back on the field. He was smaller than Atwater or Fulcher but he hit harder than both of them.

mmohican29

Reaction score
He was amazing for about 4 years and then was a tomato can after he met Kelly Rowland.

He was a human gunshot though. No question about it.

He's also the reason for the horsecollar penalty after he snapped TO's leg using it. At the time it wasn't considered a dirty play but he hurt people with it, not sure it was intentional but he definitely did.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
In his prime— he was such an instinctual, violent, and dominating player. One of my faves. When Woody retired and the chick from Destiny’s Child broke off their engagement— Roy was never the same.
It was Williams that broke off that engagement, he was getting into church at the time.