Roy Williams 31 gets dogged for his coverage

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Was a big Roy fan those first few seasons, my random Roy Williams fun fact, the only authentic jersey I ever bought haha.

Reactions: JPM

stinger26

Reaction score
One of my favorite plays even though it isn't a big hit was that MNF game where he pick 6s McNabb and then Bradie James knocks McNabb on his *** during the return.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Two plays stand out to me......

When Emmitt returned as a Cardinal and Roy met him in the hole and blew up Emmitt’s shoulder. Emmitt had really never been hurt.

Roy tackling TO in Philly and knocking him out for the SB run with a horse collar. I mean ripped that boy down like he was a rag doll.

Roy knocking out Rod Smith in the Pro Bowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Roy Williams was terrific when we played him close to the line of scrimmage but became a huge liability in coverage when we moved him further back. He completely lost his confidence. The horse collar rule further killed his career. He was always trailing plays and would pull ball carriers down from behind. He injured TO with a horse collar tackle and that was the final straw.

SSoup

Reaction score
Two plays stand out to me......

When Emmitt returned as a Cardinal and Roy met him in the hole and blew up Emmitt’s shoulder. Emmitt had really never been hurt.
Um, I feel like Emmitt was hurt plenty, the way I remember it. The fact that he was durable and played forever as a starting RB doesn't mean he was healthy that whole time. Hamstring issues and some issue with his heel. That Giants game when his shoulder was dislocated and he was basically playing with 1 arm.

And, I may be remembering wrong or confusing a couple of different games, but I think he had a game against the Vikings where he broke some big runs (like, to the point where people were buzzing that it might be a game where he'd challenge the single-game rushing record -- he had something like 150 yards before the 1st half even ended). But then he broke his hand when his finger got caught in a facemask stiff-arming a guy on his way into the endzone on the first of two TD runs in, like, a 30 second span. We got the ball back too quick after a turnover for them to realize his hand was broken yet before the next TD run. Then he got pulled from the game when they realized.

But, yeah, Emmitt got hurt a bunch.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Roy was a stud for
About 5-6 seasons.

big play after big play after big play.

then he lost some of his athleticism and rule
Changed screwed his play style. But man he was a monster prior to that.

Broke his arm. twice in one season. next season in Cinci.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
I think he became an atheist when he tried to knock over Ricky Williams, running back for the Saints. Roy got blown up trying to hammer crazy Ricky the locomotive and was never quite the same.

Huh? Roy Williams was drafted in 2002...Ricky Williams last year with the Saints was 2001. :huh:

Reaction score
His first couple years RW31 was fast and mean. Having Woodson around helped him immensely. But after Parcells got here he got too big. And then when he found religion he lost the mean streak that he had before and it was over. I remember Parcells joking about how he was a biscuit away from being a linebacker. By that point it was already over. The only thing he had left at that point was the horse collar tackle and they had to remove it from the game because he kept destroying people's legs with his lazy tackling.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

All I know is that about the time this all happened—Roy’s play on the field started to deteriorate. A combination of Woody retiring, Roy getting older/slower, the NFL changing the rules, injuries, and a breakup all added up to one of my favorite players turning into a shell of himself.

He was fun to watch when he was in his prime— but he was part of some crappy teams lol

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
All I know is that about the time this all happened—Roy’s play on the field started to deteriorate. A combination of Woody retiring, Roy getting older/slower, the NFL changing the rules, injuries, and a breakup all added up to one of my favorite players turning into a shell of himself.

He was fun to watch when he was in his prime— but he was part of some crappy teams lol
Yes sir, made those years tolerable.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
but he used to just knock the religion outta people. Please post your favorite RW blowup hits and plays.

Outside of one good year from Ken Hamlin in 2007, Roy is still easily the best S we've had since Woodson.

Favorite play would be the pick 6 vs McNabb to beat Philly in 2005.