Roy Williams Rule, Expanded.

VirusX

Reaction score
This is rediculous, not you cannot grab the back of the jersey to bring someone down. So basically if they are infront of you, you cannot tackle them. Lets put flags on people why dont we.

Slowly but surely the league is crumbling because of needless penalties. I agree with some but this is just stupid now.

• The committee expanded the definition of a horse collar tackle. Last year, the committee determined the tackling style of Cowboys safety Roy Williams and others was causing too many injuries. Williams would grab a player by the back of his shoulder pads, pull him down and fall on his legs, causing at least four serious injuries during the 2004 season. In 2005, though, only two "horse-collar" penalties were called. On Wednesday, owners voted in a change that will include grabbing the back of the jersey as a horse collar tackle. The vote was 25-7 in favor.

More rule changes here..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
This is just silly. It'll get reversed after 06 season.

edit: Nay, reversed by week 6!

Justis

Reaction score
this is pathetic. this is going to be the most annoying penalty of 2006. It will be like defensive holding was in 2004.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Justis said:
this is pathetic. this is going to be the most annoying penalty of 2006. It will be like defensive holding was in 2004.

I agree, little by little players are not going to control the outcome of games it will be the guys in the stripped shirts. My ideal of football is not watching refs throw flags all day long

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Was there a single injury last year from a "jersey horse collar"? If the answer is no, there is NO REASON to extend the rule.

Raneiron#31

Reaction score
so basically now if you dont have top end speed, on defense, theirs no point evening playing football.

Taglibue's checklist
1. stop players from hitting each other (check)
2. make it impossible to sack the QB without getting a penalty (check)
3. make it impossible for players to tackle their opponent (check)
4. Let be possible for RBs to never have to actually work to get 2000 yds a yr???? (working on it)
5. Don't allow DL men to make contact with OL so there will be less injuries (work in progress)
6. Before I retire destroy NFL. (Work in progress)

Nest year NFL will be replaced by the National Flag Football league. All hail the great leadership.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
When will they come out with the "Let's do anything we can to make sure the Stealers win the Super Bowl again" Rule?

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulted from the move, it's completely reasonable to since so many players still did it and got away with it last season.

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
theogt said:
Was there a single injury last year from a "jersey horse collar"? If the answer is no, there is NO REASON to extend the rule.

There wasn't one injury last year. You are right, the league is making up these rules for NOTHING!

superpunk

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulting from the move, it's completely reasonable to since many players still did and got away with it last season.

I guess slow *** Sean Taylor will have to stop doing the exact same thing....:rolleyes:

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulting from the move, it's completely reasonable to since many players still did and got away with it last season.

Are you kidding? Roy is one of the fastest player in the NFL. He's faster than any crappy Commander out there.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I guess slow *** Sean Taylor will have to stop doing the exact same thing....:rolleyes:

I guess so. But since Taylor doesn't horsecollar ballcarriers, it won't affect him as much as Roy. :D

Raneiron#31

Reaction score
There was actually a player on our roster that was injured by the horse collar. Give up? It was none other than Julius Jones, thats how he got hurt, one of the eagles players (believe it was Dhani) horse collared JJ at the sidelines after JJ had broke away from the D. No call was made so.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Well if a defender is fast enough, unlike Roy, he won't have to reach out and grab hold of the back of the jersey in desperation. Considering how many serious injuries resulted from the move, it's completely reasonable to since so many players still did it and got away with it last season.

And if your impliment rules because of every injury you have something but it is not football. Injuries happen in football and they always will it is the nature of the game and the people who play it understand that.

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

Name one other guy who got injured from the horse collar other than TO. And don't tell me you care about TO's injury. You probobly enjoyed it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Oh really? Name 3.

superpunk

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
I guess so. But since Taylor doesn't horsecollar ballcarriers, it won't affect him as much as Roy. :D

WRONG!

Sean Taylor, and many other players, do the exact same thing as Roy. Roy just broke a guys leg doing it, so he gets the notice. Don't even try to pretend Taylor doesn't do it - Some of us are actually watching the games.

sacase

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

I guess that is too bad for your lover Sean Taylor.....since Roy is FASTER than him.