Roy Williams Trade 2.0

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Dak is our QB and we have to roll with him. Nobody is going to send us Patrick Mahomes or Jared Goff. I get that Prescott has not produced as much as we'd like, but I put that more on our coaches and the surrounding cast. Maybe Cooper can draw some extra coverage away from Beasley, who can now go back to being Dak's security blanket.

Prescott will be on the spot now more than Cooper with this trade. The Cowboys need a definitive answer on Dak and maybe this is the way to get it.

You have to draft Mahomes and Goff but you can't do that trading away first round picks. The problem in Dallas this year is not wrs who aren't open. The problem is Dak finding them.

Paradox

Reaction score
I think I know what's happening here. Jerry thinks our first round pick is basically the equivalent of a second round pick because now we will win the Super Bowl! :laugh:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Do you think the wrs we currently have aren't open? Cooper is going to have the same problem. The guy is living off what he did 2 years ago just like Dak.

You are not wrong. But if you're an NFL defensive coordinator, you have to gameplan for Amari Cooper. I don't think Allen Hurns or Deonte Thompson give opposing coaches sleepless nights.

Cooper is only 24 and has more talent than any receiver on this roster, though I like Gallup.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are not wrong. But if you're an NFL defensive coordinator, you have to gameplan for Amari Cooper. I don't think Allen Hurns or Deonte Thompson give opposing coaches sleepless nights.

Cooper is only 24 and has more talent than any receiver on this roster, though I like Gallup.

If your an NFL DC, all you have to do to tie us up in knotts is stop Zeke. Dak isn't going to beat you with his arm. Thats been the book on this offense since the MN game in late 2016. You load box, take way Zeke and Dak's easy 7-8 yard throws , and we are cooked.

I hope you are right but i've been watching this mess evolve for a long time and I just don't see it.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
It does feel very similar and I'm not thrilled with this trade either. I keep hoping to hear that it becomes a conditional first.

The trade makes no sense unless you're 1 player away and are trading for an elite proven player. I don't think either applies here. Would have been better off resigning Dez we would likely get the same production the rest of the season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You have to draft Mahomes and Goff but you can't do that trading away first round picks. The problem in Dallas this year is not wrs who aren't open. The problem is Dak finding them.

In truth it's been a little bit of both in regards to the WR's and Dak. As it is the Cowboys got 15 catches for 211 yards out of the receivers at Washington yesterday so maybe Cooper isn't destined to fail here after all.

Prescott haters are going to have to live with the fact he's going to be the QB here at least through the 2019 season, and Amari Cooper will either help make him or break him. If it's the latter, the Cowboys draft a QB in 2020; and then we can complain about him. (Just kidding).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This just depresses me. All in on a big contract for Cooper. They're probably all in on Dak. They're all in on Garrett and Linehan.

It's going to be a long 2 or 3 years, man.

I did have a question on that.

Is Cooper's contract on the 5th year guaranteed? That would be a nice little cherry on the top of giving up the 1st.

I wouldn't have taken Cooper for that money with *no* draft pick in trade.

As for being all in on Dak and Garrett/Linehan. I can't see how anyone with two neurons to rub together could possibly be all in on *both*. The combination of those 3 has been a disaster for the last year. We had a full offseason to fix it. And not.

I'd like to see Dak with competent coaching, but I certainly wouldn't say I'm all in on him. He's worth giving a chance. But I am all out on Garrett/Linehan.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

Is Cooper's contract on the 5th year guaranteed? That would be a nice little cherry on the top of giving up the 1st.

As for being all in on Dak and Garrett/Linehan. I can't see how anyone with two neurons to rub together could possible be all in on *both*. The combination of those 3 has been a disaster for the last year. We had a full offseason to fix it. And not.

I'd like to see Dak with competent coaching, but I certainly wouldn't say I'm all in on him. He's worth giving a chance. But I am all out on Garrett/Linehan.

Dak Prescott has unique talents and Garrett and Linehan may have already wrecked him. They call plays so far away from his strengths it's ridiculous.

I am a Dak fan, and I admit there's a lot to blame him for, but the Cowboys have done him no favors. Garrett and Linehan are trying to turn him into Tony Romo 2.0 instead of making him the best version of Dak Prescott he can be.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

That's a really good question. I think we assume his contract by trading for him, but there might be something with offset language if we sign him to a new deal - we pay him and he still gets guarantees from the Raiders. Doubt it but it might be possible.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Stupid is what stupid does ......... and we are sooooo freaking stupid I cannot even express how pissed off I am right now. This FO has learned nothing over the years from its mistakes which is why we haven't had 2 consecutive 10 win season in forever.

So, now we bring in a guy whose not having a good year.......didn't have a good year last year..............has no familiarity with the offense or chemistry with Dak. But, he's going to come here and do what for us exactly?

What a bonehead move.

Exactly

stiletto

Reaction score
I'm gonna play a little devil's advocate and I don't usually do that.

1. Cooper is only 6 months older than Calvin Ridley, not an old guy at all..
2. The team needed a receiver and would've probably had to draft one with their #1 and I am not seeing any game-set-match WR's in the next draft
3. If they did draft a WR high, WR's can take a while to develop, we are getting Cooper with 3+ years experience and plenty more years left.
4. It will be VERY difficult to load the box to stop Zeke and double Cole Beasely now with Cooper on the field.
5. He is faster than he looks, big bodied. Defenses will absolutely have to account for him every play.

It might still end up a disaster but it might also be a great move. If it goes bad then we get new coaches hopefully, so that makes the trade worth it right there!

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Stupid is what stupid does ......... and we are sooooo freaking stupid I cannot even express how pissed off I am right now. This FO has learned nothing over the years from its mistakes which is why we haven't had 2 consecutive 10 win season in forever.

So, now we bring in a guy whose not having a good year.......didn't have a good year last year..............has no familiarity with the offense or chemistry with Dak. But, he's going to come here and do what for us exactly?

What a bonehead move.
Atlanta...we just have to wait for new ownership. What can you say at this point? They just pissed away a 1st rd pick on THIS guy,in THIS lame offense? I’d had rather they gotten Josh Gordon from a detox center and saved money and a first. You watch too...when that first round is playing out on draft day and we could of had “so and so” we’ll still be stuck in the mud with “Cooper”. Freaking morons....they just don’t learn.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I believe Roy Williams was 26 when he was traded to Dallas, Cooper is 24.

Regardless, Cooper has talent and upside that Williams never had. Williams was just a big target with wide catching radius.

Cooper is a big enough (6'1) receiver with exceptional speed, body control, quickness, and run after the catch skills. He's had issues with drops, but he's a special player. The Cowboys got better today, my only issue is at what cost?

Praxit

Reaction score
...I have to disagree here. Judging the book by the cover. Lets see what he brings. In best case, he might be what the Dr ordered. Worst case, he will be just avg. Im kinda excited about this.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I highly doubt this was a unianimous decision. I wonder what the divide was....this is definitely a Jerry move and I don't see how the coaches wouldn't be for it, I wonder if he had his son/McClay/scouts on board.

I'm curious to see if any of them have any sanity, and if so, who.

But I find it hard to care much. I see this as putting us all in on Garrett/Linehan in a horrible trade. This franchise isn't going anywhere.

Since I expect more of McClay, I expect him to be against it, and possibly this drives him from the team. Garrett destroys the competition again! Can't play football, but sure as hell can play organizational politics.