RT Steele was a 2020 undrafted free agent

J12B

Reaction score
And he's playing like a 1st round pick.

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

Steele has been playing outstanding while filling in for Collins.

I think the best decision will be to give Collins back his starting job at RT.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

Just crazy to think how well Steele is playing.

Great job by McClay and the front office for finding this diamond in the rough

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree the best thing to do is let La'el Collins return to his LT position. I hope they don't try to trade him. We will always need depth on this O-line so I'm thankful they found Steele and he has developed into such a good talent.

lk8701

Reaction score

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

Can he become the Tony Romo of offensive lineman?

T-RO

Reaction score
I agree the best thing to do is let La'el Collins return to his LT position. I hope they don't try to trade him. We will always need depth on this O-line so I'm thankful they found Steele and he has developed into such a good talent.

Agree, but he plays RT.

Reactions: BAT

Eanwen

Reaction score
Wasn't Collins playing left guard when he first came to the Cowboys? If so... why not put him there? The O-line would be CRAZY good.

I don't remember him being any good at LG. The running game in 2016 didn't take off until he got hurt and Leary started at LG.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Wasn't Collins playing left guard when he first came to the Cowboys? If so... why not put him there? The O-line would be CRAZY good.

He did but his pass pro wasn't quite as good back then. He may be better off remaining at RT. where he's been so successful before.

Nevertheless, with Steele doing so well of late, perhaps he'd be just as capable playing LG, as he has been playing offensive tackle.

I wouldn't be too surprised if our offensive line coach were to try using him there, as an alternative to placing Connor Williams there!

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score

It is crazy how well Steele is playing. I'm in the minority on this one but I think he's our MVP of the season so far. Our offense is clicking and he's a big part of that. Also no one, especially me, expected him to play well. I thought there would be a crippling drop off from Collins to Steele. I can't rave about this guy enough, I'm so excited for him and for us.

silvernblu

Reaction score

It is beyond time to make McClay the GM.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I wonder what click with him? I dont recall any real progress being made with his this off season or TC.

DanA

Reaction score
I wonder what click with him? I dont recall any real progress being made with his this off season or TC.

I think it's a combination of things.
1. Experience
2. Better technique / awareness of what DE's will do
3. Second year strength (in an NFL program)
4. Kellen has set things up to play to his strength
5. Shultz is a better blocker
6. Dak is getting it out quicker

1, 2 & 3 are self explanatory but 4-6 I think comes down to Kellen doing a better job developing this offense. Dak hasn't had the best pass protection but he gets the ball out quickly and Steele has been a lot better supported by Shultz this year who himself is better. Then in the run game Steele is just magnificent and the amount of work he's doing beside Martin can't be overstated. Martin/Steele opening up holes has been a huge feature of our game the last 3 weeks. In training camp you don't see the run game, and he didn't have Martin/Shultz beside him for the most part in pre-season games.