RT Steele was a 2020 undrafted free agent

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Steele was rated as a mid rounder by many but went undrafted for reasons I still haven't figured out. He had flaws but not enough to drop him that far it didn't seem. He got some real time as a rookie and maybe he simply found out what his weaknesses were and worked hard to improve them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And he's playing like a 1st round pick.

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

Steele has been playing outstanding while filling in for Collins.

I think the best decision will be to give Collins back his starting job at RT.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

Just crazy to think how well Steele is playing.

Great job by McClay and the front office for finding this diamond in the rough

Never a good idea to trade away good Offensive Lineman as it such a key area for success. Look what happened to Seattle when they traded Unger, never was the same, nor sniffed a title again. Just look what happened to the Chiefs last season, if they had better depth, they had a chance.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Both guys that will be fighting for the RT job were UDFA. As mentioned above, Ball too was later than he should've been, who fell for non-football reasons. We're doing a very good job of finding guys very late/after the draft. Assuming Tyron stays healthy, I think our line could actually improve over the next couple years with young guys getting more experience. We know Smith and Martin are gonna be studs for at least a few more years health permitting, and Steele/McGovern/Ball/Biadasz all have potential to vault in upper level guys at their position. I think we've also forgotten just how good Collins is when healthy.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I wonder what click with him? I dont recall any real progress being made with his this off season or TC.

See this is the problem with us fans, we simply don’t EVER have all the facts. The fact is (lol) we don’t see practice, only a few selective vid clips. We don’t attend the meetings where the scheme teaching is done, so we have no idea how well he is at identifying and understanding different defenses. And most of all, we just don’t have the expertise as the professionals to make the best educated decisions.

Last week Micah was getting into a twitter argument with Acho. Acho is a former NFL player (though not that good) and Micha called him out by telling him he has no clue to make assertions as he is not in the meeting room and doesn’t even know the assignments. What Micah is saying is that it is hard to know without having all the facts.

Us internet GM’s and coaches forms our opinions on very small sample sizes and combined with absolutely no expertise. It’s a recipe to be wrong a lot.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

I love the development of Terrance Steele. He’s become at the very least a great swing T and has shown he may even be starter quality.

If we’re trying to trade Collins, we would be very lucky to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. He’s missed 21 games in a year and some change, mostly of his own doing with the mysterious car wreck and then the drug policy suspension. Not to mention trading him would require another team willing to pick up his big contract.

His value right now is very low, so if trading Collins is in the future, it would be better to play him when he returns to increase his value again.
It is beyond time to make McClay the GM.
Unless McClay gets adopted and changes his last name to Jones, that won’t happen as long as Jerral Wayne is drawing breath.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

and lets just say we are making a run, lets just say god forbid, steele or smith get injured. who do you put in there to continue the run?

I don't understand why some fans can't stand prosperity. we have some depth, good depth at tackle and we just want to destroy it for future unknowns....because we like to gamble? if this team is ready. if this team is loaded. if this team is able to make a run, the time is now and we need all of it.

and if collins is worth a first round pick...he will be worth a first round pick in off season. and which top 15 team is willing to trade their potential franchise player pick for collins in the middle of a season, that's lost to them given they will be picking top 15. and pay that much money. this ain't madden football son. this is real life NFL.

btw, no team will pay a 1st round pick for collins....gilmore got a 6th......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We are set at tackle 3 deep for the next two years.
exactly. lets just play madden football, trade our depth...now that we have it, and prior to it, we complained and complained and complained about not having depth. some people just can't stand prosperity

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Really happy with the play of Steele, funny had he been released at the end of last season no one would have batted an eye. Now what we see is a guy putting in a full off season and developing into a quality player. I still want to see Collins back in the lineup, but I feel much better about the depth on the OL than I did heading into the season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wasn't Collins playing left guard when he first came to the Cowboys? If so... why not put him there? The O-line would be CRAZY good.
it has to be a desparate situation to do that, in the middle of the season....more than any other unit in football, the OL work in concert together.....not as individuals. and given he hasn't played the position for few years. he hasn't played in 1.5 years. he has been exclusively RT, putting him there would not give you results you are looking for......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It is crazy how well Steele is playing. I'm in the minority on this one but I think he's our MVP of the season so far. Our offense is clicking and he's a big part of that. Also no one, especially me, expected him to play well. I thought there would be a crippling drop off from Collins to Steele. I can't rave about this guy enough, I'm so excited for him and for us.
yes, you are in the minority....and MVP is not replacable on the team......if steele goes down, collins will step right in and we are even better at RT....Diggs would be an MVP. Dak would be an MVP.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I love the development of Terrance Steele. He’s become at the very least a great swing T and has shown he may even be starter quality.

If we’re trying to trade Collins, we would be very lucky to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. He’s missed 21 games in a year and some change, mostly of his own doing with the mysterious car wreck and then the drug policy suspension. Not to mention trading him would require another team willing to pick up his big contract.

His value right now is very low, so if trading Collins is in the future, it would be better to play him when he returns to increase his value again.
Unless McClay gets adopted and changes his last name to Jones, that won’t happen as long as Jerral Wayne is drawing breath.
not only that, given he got suspended for drugs, he is one violation away from being suspended for a whole year. too risky

Reaction score
See this is the problem with us fans, we simply don’t EVER have all the facts. The fact is (lol) we don’t see practice, only a few selective vid clips. We don’t attend the meetings where the scheme teaching is done, so we have no idea how well he is at identifying and understanding different defenses. And most of all, we just don’t have the expertise as the professionals to make the best educated decisions.

Last week Micah was getting into a twitter argument with Acho. Acho is a former NFL player (though not that good) and Micha called him out by telling him he has no clue to make assertions as he is not in the meeting room and doesn’t even know the assignments. What Micah is saying is that it is hard to know without having all the facts.

Us internet GM’s and coaches forms our opinions on very small sample sizes and combined with absolutely no expertise. It’s a recipe to be wrong a lot.

Acho is a loudmouth POS screaming for attention (and money).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Steele was rated as a mid rounder by many but went undrafted for reasons I still haven't figured out. He had flaws but not enough to drop him that far it didn't seem. He got some real time as a rookie and maybe he simply found out what his weaknesses were and worked hard to improve them.
well, I only put so much trust into all these sites that rank prospects. quite different than most NFL teams....if he was a low round pick, which would make sense, then I can see them dropping out of draft since teams draft low round picks for different reasons....it was obvious last year he had flaws and not strong enough. and 95% of the time those type of prospects don't work out.....people tend to highlight the ones that do.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Collins has a higher ceiling and is still very young. He gets his job back.
This is tuff but I agree. The great news is, Steele is now our brand new PROVEN swing tackle and we no longer need Ty N. This kid Steele seems 2 have a high FB IQ and he seems 2 be driven. I luv this kid. I now see why the staff felt the way they did. Man was I wrong about him. Kudos to Steele. Its a great story. When Will McClay signed him last year ,that 1 move saved our season this year, in hindsight. Think about that. Lastly, I have a hunch that at some point Josh Ball will get a chance to play and he is NASTY. Steele BTW is a mean hombre. He throws dudes around like nuthin. My advice to Collins is, he better keep his head down and work his tail off because he aint the end all be all. We got dudes that intend on taking your job and very capable.