RT Steele was a 2020 undrafted free agent

conner01

Reaction score
And he's playing like a 1st round pick.

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

Steele has been playing outstanding while filling in for Collins.

I think the best decision will be to give Collins back his starting job at RT.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

Just crazy to think how well Steele is playing.

Great job by McClay and the front office for finding this diamond in the rough
Amazing what you can find if you give players time to develop before you judge them
He was fans favorite whipping boy last year
Now it’s Biadasz
Maybe fans should try being a little patient and living with some growing pains from player before wanting to cut them

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Collins needs to spend some time on the bench when he gets back to figure out if football is important to him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Against the Giants, a lot of the runs went to the right side and Zeke/Pollard found holes and lanes to run into making their day much easier.

Steele has been playing outstanding while filling in for Collins.

I think the best decision will be to give Collins back his starting job at RT.

But, if Collins could be traded for a 1st rounder to a team that is possibly going to yield a top 15 pick (nothing less), then that should be seriously considered.

Just crazy to think how well Steele is playing.

Great job by McClay and the front office for finding this diamond in the rough

Collins might get cut after the season.

he’s due 30 million in base over 2022-24. The dead cap would be 13 milllion.

he’s never been to a pro bowl.

i can’t see a team trading for him with that contract.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Collins needs to spend some time on the bench when he gets back to figure out if football is important to him.

He has had 5 weeks to think about that. I hope he has it figured out. I have always understood that players will miss time due to injury but suspension are self inflicted and in doing things to get yourself suspended you let down the players around you.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has had 5 weeks to think about that. I hope he has it figured out. I have always understood that players will miss time due to injury but suspension are self inflicted and in doing things to get yourself suspended you let down the players around you.
His misguided attempts at legal maneuvers tells me he has lost focus.

quickccc

Reaction score
He did but his pass pro wasn't quite as good back then. He may be better off remaining at RT. where he's been so successful before.

Nevertheless, with Steele doing so well of late, perhaps he'd be just as capable playing LG, as he has been playing offensive tackle.

I wouldn't be too surprised if our offensive line coach were to try using him there, as an alternative to placing Connor Williams there!

We gave Collins a nice, re-signed big contract because we envisioned Collins as one of the premiere RTs in the NFL.
We made McGovern a high draft pick in the 3rd rd. just for the convienent moment that he can eventually take over and replace Williams per FA.
I very highly doubt we are gonna do all this new and different maneuvering starting roles after investing so much in two others vs a serviceable backup.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
OL is rolling right now, still dominating in run blocking and improving game by game in pass blocking.

Collins has a chance to show if he will improve OL even more AFTER the bye.

The bye is best time to see if he is better fit at LG or RT.

But the chances are very high he reclaims his RT spot. As well as Steele has played, Collins is still better.

And Williams is picking up his game too.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL is rolling right now, still dominating in run blocking and improving game by game in pass blocking.

Collins has a chance to show if he will improve OL even more AFTER the bye.

The bye is best time to see if he is better fit at LG or RT.

But the chances are very high he reclaims his RT spot. As well as Steele has played, Collins is still better.

And Williams is picking up his game too.
Progress is good.

Reactions: BAT

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LastReliableEmperorpenguin-size_restricted.gif

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I love what Steele has done, but it's a four game body of work (plus 2020, but that was a mess for him). A healthy Collins is one of the best tackles in the league and the Cowboys are going to need o-line depth as the season wears on. I say keep Collins.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We gave Collins a nice, re-signed big contract because we envisioned Collins as one of the premiere RTs in the NFL.
We made McGovern a high draft pick in the 3rd rd. just for the convienent moment that he can eventually take over and replace Williams per FA.
I very highly doubt we are gonna do all this new and different maneuvering starting roles after investing so much in two others vs a serviceable backup.

The Cowboys have long had a policy of implementing the best personnel available for their OL. I'm assuming they still wish to respect that idea. They've long been allowing various players to be tested to determine how best to utilize them for the ultimate welfare of their team as a whole. Nobody, myself included, is trying to jump to any conclusions as to what course they'll take with our OL incumbents. Things change, nevertheless.

What they eventually decide to do with respect to Williams and McGovern will be decided on an ongoing basis. If they're satisfied with Williams and want to retain him in the ongoing future remains to be seen. His performance has certainly seen its ups and downs, although, as always, money plays a big role in what the Cowboys' FO decides to do regarding their decisions. If they choose to keep Williams at LG next year, I'm sure they will. If not, they won't.

It's no secret that several players have seen experience in being tested for the LG and Center spots. Whatever happens will be controlled by the talent available and the evident practicality that the FO decides is best to follow. It remains to be seen what they might choose to do with the players involved. There'll be competition and may the best man win. That's how is should be to best serve the team as a whole. As far as Collins is concerned, I feel fairly confident that he'll be welcomed back as our RT and Steele might be the swing man, unless something unforeseen occurs. Anything's possible, though.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If 100% then La'el Collins will reclaim his RT spot after bye, you can bet on it.

plasticman

Reaction score
Can he become the Tony Romo of offensive lineman?
The Drew Pearson of WR's
The Everson Walls of CB's

Cowboys, for some reason, has always been good at identifying talent in undrafted rookies.

That's why Steele isn't the first undrafted rookie on the O-line to play well. Mark Tuinei and Nate Newton were two of the starters on the offensive line in three Super Bowls.....both undrafted.

Mark Tuinei actually came in as a DT and has recorded an NFL sack before he was converted to OT. He and Newton were some of the players Jimmy kept from the Landry era.

Reactions: BAT

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I love what Steele has done, but it's a four game body of work (plus 2020, but that was a mess for him). A healthy Collins is one of the best tackles in the league and the Cowboys are going to need o-line depth as the season wears on. I say keep Collins.

I can think of $30 million reasons why they wont....

Jaylon got cut for less.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't remember him being any good at LG. The running game in 2016 didn't take off until he got hurt and Leary started at LG.

Leary was no longer on the team and he didn't replace Collins. Collins and Conner Williams did.